PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Short-Rest Mystic

Yakk
2022-10-11, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking about a short-rest Mystic, somewhat based on the D&D 5e UA stuff. I don't want to mimic the entire "I am every psi class merged", I'm not that ambitious.

To start with...

1. Psi-points seems key. But I don't like the "I have psi points, so I spam the same max efficiency ability using them" and alpha-strike addiction.

2. I like the UA die thing. Having a Psionic die that gets depleted based on its rolls seems fun.

3. I think I want it to be mainly short-rest based, with some lesser long-rest refreshing resources. Unlike the warlock, I don't want to wait until T3 to get said resources.

4. I'm ok with it using spells, especially from a curated list. Or even "causes the effects of a spell". Simply because rule bundles in spells are useful, and save on me having to rewrite everything.

5. The idea of Psionic Focus is fun, and expending it. It granting a passive bonus that you can expend for a boost, and you can regain it as an action, can move things away from alpha-strike dominance.

A really simple model is (Mystic level) psi points that refresh on a short rest, and you spend (spell level) points to cast a "spell", with said "spells" capped at 5th level.

This is quite close to what a Warlock gets spell wise.

A psionic die can be used to ... boost effective spell level? Add damage? Cantrips?

Focus can maybe grant a cantrip like ability (something at-will) or two. Maybe expending your focus is what you do to roll a psionic die. Regaining it is an action (free outside combat, expensive within).

Psionic dice could explode; on a max, you roll again and add. After said max, your die shrinks one step. (1d4 to 1d3, 1d3 to 1d2, 1d2 to gone).

1d4 then lasts 4 + 3 + 2 = 9 uses on average, with a 4% chance of lasting only 3 uses. Regaining your psionic die can be a long rest resource?

A different thought I had was that using your Psionic Die is how you cast "spells" at above 1st level. Like, you get fewer psi points, and each spell costs one -- and to cast a higher level spell, you roll a psionic die? That would make deciding what to do extremely tricky, as you don't know what power you have until you roll the die.

Yet another thought is some kind of build-up. Like, you start out with a die of a certain size, and each round it tends to grow, giving you access to greater power. This does lead to the question of "why not build power out of combat and enter combat full strength" however.

MrStabby
2022-10-13, 12:12 PM
I wonder if you could stop the spam issue by just outright prohibiting it?

Use psi points to buy abilities after finishing a short rest. Each is one use with more powerful abilities taking more of your budget.

So it's kind of like vancian casting but with a cap of one spell slot for each spell. Pushing it to a short rest means you don't need such a massive list.

Addition of some king of 'psionic recovery' ability to get some abilities back a couple of times per day might mean it wasn't quite so rigid...

This would force a degree of diversity in abilities actually used whilst still allowing some additional types of flexability over classical casting (and in other ways being a lot more restrictive).

Yakk
2022-10-13, 02:39 PM
I wonder if you could stop the spam issue by just outright prohibiting it?

Use psi points to buy abilities after finishing a short rest. Each is one use with more powerful abilities taking more of your budget.

So it's kind of like vancian casting but with a cap of one spell slot for each spell. Pushing it to a short rest means you don't need such a massive list.

Addition of some king of 'psionic recovery' ability to get some abilities back a couple of times per day might mean it wasn't quite so rigid...

This would force a degree of diversity in abilities actually used whilst still allowing some additional types of flexability over classical casting (and in other ways being a lot more restrictive).
I sort of did that with my gadgeteer -- you spent points on which inventions you currently have working, as they keep on breaking down and require constant maintenance.

A thing where you roll your psi die to possibly recover an expended ability would be interesting. Like, when you use a psi power, you roll your psi die -- and if it is odd, you can recover an ability of that cost or lower.

If you have a 3 and 4 1 cost abilities, you'd use the 3 cost ability, and on each use of the 1 you'd have an ok chance to recover the 3 back.

So you get more than one use of the 3 cost ability, but you don't get to spam it repeatedly (usually).

Morphic tide
2022-10-24, 09:20 PM
I've had a go at mixing all the 5e Psionics UAs sitting unfinished in a class contest thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?628967-D-amp-D-5e-Base-Class-Contest-XV-Partial-Casters&p=24986509&viewfull=1#post24986509) with a little more progress occupying my New Thread draft for over a year. Did not include Psionic Focus, and decided to split the limit of dice versus the effect peak for the limit to be per-turn. Also had Wilder "eat" Psychic Warrior because forcing higher output works better for a Gish-like build, on ~2/3rds progression (here's the discussion thread post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24985116&postcount=13) with the full progression)

The big thing is that the Psi cost has ranges and there's a per-turn limit, so you CAN'T full-burn whatever you want, alongside intending on effect fragmentation inspired by some of what 3.5 does to force multi-effect routines. My limited knowledge of how 5e breaks down is what keeps me from getting into the details, because I have no clue what balancing this "properly" looks like. Feel free to loot whatever you like of it and make whatever changes you intend on.