PDA

View Full Version : If D&D were the real world....

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-30, 11:06 AM
Inspired by the Max Dex thread, I was thinking about the real, modern world and if D&D were part of it. That is, magic worked, there were (at one point) monsters, and we still got to more or less where we are now. Specificially, I was thinking about the Olympics.

What would be banned and outlawed for them? Almost certainly various Buff spells would be dispelled/monitored. (Bull's Strength etc.) Stat enhancing books? Would it be akin to steroids now? Illegal if found out, but since they are nigh undetectable (at least after using)...

Would monstrous races even be allowed to compete in the same leagues as humans? Assuming there were Goblins and Orcs and the like. Elves? Dwarves?

I would of course assume most of the really awesome stuff would have been killed off a distant time in the past. (Dragons, anything that could wipe out a city on it's own)

I think I am just rambling, so feel free to ramble yourself!!

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-30, 11:08 AM
If this thread wouldn't kill a lot of them, I assume Catgirls would be banned, along with psionics, and standards would be established for each race, to prevent some monster breed (like half dragon, half celestial, half giant half orc) from participating.

rollfrenzy
2007-11-30, 11:15 AM
I imagine that in a good vision of the the world like this there would be different classes of competition, basically the orc 100 meter dash and the human 100 meter dash and whatnot. All competition takes place in an anti magic field.

In a more Dystopian vision, there would be riots species-ism and proly alot of discrimination and what-not. We as humans are not generally known for our ability to get along.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-30, 11:48 AM
Well, in Shadowrun the Olympic games have banned Cybernetics (no robot leg people running the hundred meter dash), magic (no fireballs during a hockey game), and metahumans (nothing that isn't human).

It might have caused more problems, but it seems people were just bored and so people didn't care too much. I think the same was true with a lot of sports.

A GM would be within his rights to say that protests did occur, but no one cared.

The sports that really took off were excessively dangerous and violent ones. Many of which did allow Metahumans and Cybernetics. I think magic is still banned in most of them.

In Underground or Illegal sports it pretty much varies. My advice? Bet on the troll with the axe. Or the cute little unarmed girl. You just know she's got to have some kind of edge.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-30, 12:11 PM
Well, in Shadowrun the Olympic games have banned Cybernetics (no robot leg people running the hundred meter dash), magic (no fireballs during a hockey game), and metahumans (nothing that isn't human).

It might have caused more problems, but it seems people were just bored and so people didn't care too much. I think the same was true with a lot of sports.

A GM would be within his rights to say that protests did occur, but no one cared.

The sports that really took off were excessively dangerous and violent ones. Many of which did allow Metahumans and Cybernetics. I think magic is still banned in most of them.

In Underground or Illegal sports it pretty much varies. My advice? Bet on the troll with the axe. Or the cute little unarmed girl. You just know she's got to have some kind of edge.

I seem to remember several of the big sports in Shadowrun had augmented and unaugmented leages. I know Basketball allowed cyberware and meta, anything goes - they had a special cyberware ballistic computer just for basketball.

Crow
2007-11-30, 12:12 PM

Most sports leagues in Shadowrun ban magic, but allow cyber...figure that one out.