PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] DFA Theurge Build?

Thurbane
2022-10-11, 04:41 PM
Hi,

Just wondering, are there any viable theurge builds using Dragonfire Adept as one of the base classes?

I know it isn't optimal, and straight DFA would be superior, but I was just wondering what is possible.

Official sources only please - no PF, no homebrew, no 3rd party; and preferably no Dragon or Dungeon mag material.

Cheers - T

pabelfly
2022-10-11, 04:54 PM
Since DFA invocations use CHA, Paladin would be worth be worth dipping.

You could also do your favourite full-BAB Tome of Battle Class since you get half progress on initiator level, and could still end up with decent manoeuvres, even if you don't reach ninths. Crusader has CHA to Will saves which is a nice bit of synergy.

Maat Mons
2022-10-11, 04:59 PM
Eldritch Disciple is the only decent option I can think of.

Anthrowhale
2022-10-11, 05:36 PM
Eldritch Disciple is the only decent option I can think of.

Yeah, Cleric 4/DFA 1/Eldritch Disciple 10 seems ok. You are 2 levels down compared to a straight cleric and 4 levels down compared to a straight DFA. With shenanigans like DMM[Heighten] and eventually cured wereboar lycanthropy, you might get away with Cleric 1/DFA1/Eldritch Disciple 10.

Rebel7284
2022-10-12, 01:43 AM
I would not recommend theurging DFA. Delayed invocations aren't all that, and you likely lose access to Breath Effects in the process which mostly defeats the points of DFA.

Some notes:
- Heir of Siberys is a fun capstone prestige class if you're in Eberron since you don't really need to stay in DFA after you get 5-fold breath at level 15 anyway and Breath of Siberys is nice feat to have while getting yourself a powerful SLA 2/day.
- DFA is a lot more acceptable in gestalt. Combining it with Sorcerer (or even Incantatrix) allows you to use those spells that boost breath weapons or you can take a more gish approach to become more like a dragon.

Of course you can do something like:
- Changeling Rogue 1/DFA 1/Warlock 1/Marshal 1/X 1/Ur Priest* 2/Eldritch Disciple but at that point you're just a diplomancer that chose to get a couple of extra invocations for "the lols"

* Note that Ur Priests can explicitly worship a dead god, so the requirement of "must worship a chaotic or evil deity" isn't insurmountable.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-10-12, 08:26 AM
Legacy champion (Weapons of Legacy) and uncanny trickster (Races of Destiny) can progress DFA while also granting their own things, as can (to an extent) illithid savant (Savage Species).

And then there are bloodlines...

Troacctid
2022-10-12, 11:28 AM
Without advancing breath effects, it's just not economical to do this kind of build on DFA. It makes a lot more sense to use warlock and get more invocations off of a longer list. But you can do it with eldritch disciple if you really want.

RaiKirah
2022-10-12, 12:12 PM
If you're willing to cheese entry requirements you can use Eldritch Theurge to progress DFA and Warlock for maximal invocations. Human DFA 1(2)/Warlock 4(3)/Eldritch Theurge (Magical Training & Precocious Apprentice) gets you Eldritch Blast 7d6(6d6), Breath Weapon 6d6, 8 Warlock invocations (3 Least, 3 Lesser, 2 Greater), 5 DFA Invocations (2 Least, 2 Lesser, 1 Greater). Some additional shenanigans can qualify you for Ultimate Magus on top, though it's a lot of feats, so you might be better off just topping off with a different caster class and pumping to Dark Invocations in one of the two (Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil works nicely here).