PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Discussion: What were Elan's second and third guesses going to be?

yeetusmcgeetus
2022-10-11, 06:15 PM
OOTS 1114 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1114.html): Elan's first guess for who "you people" referred to was puppeteers, and the fourth was going to be humans. Anyone have any ideas what 2 and 3 were going to be?
I mean, I assume one of them would be bards, but that still leaves one unaccounted for.

Dame_Mechanus
2022-10-11, 07:41 PM
Bards, my family, adventurers, artists, idiots, healers... pick any two and go for it, really. I've always guessed "bards" and "adventurers" myself.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-11, 09:41 PM
Bards, my family, adventurers, artists, idiots, healers... pick any two and go for it, really. I've always guessed "bards" and "adventurers" myself.
Idiots and bards would be redundant, would they not?

ZhonLord
2022-10-12, 06:12 AM

CLASSIST! we've got a classist here!

Shame on you sir, I'll have you know that intelligence is often the second highest stat for bards, particularly skill monkey and social types.

Laurentio III
2022-10-12, 08:42 AM

Shame on you sir, I'll have you know that intelligence is often the second highest stat for bards, particularly skill monkey and social types.
Yes, sure, but wisdow?

ZhonLord
2022-10-12, 10:17 AM
OOTS 1114 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1114.html): Elan's first guess for who "you people" referred to was puppeteers, and the fourth was going to be humans. Anyone have any ideas what 2 and 3 were going to be?
I mean, I assume one of them would be bards, but that still leaves one unaccounted for.

Being a bit more serious now, it looks like the guess is going from specific to broad. So puppeteers being very specific, and humans being as broad as possible, I'm thinking Bard would be guess #3 while #2 is something like "storyteller" since that's a subsect of bardic profession.

gbaji
2022-10-12, 01:43 PM
I always assumed something like this:

1. Puppeteer
2. Bard
3. Adventurer
4. Human

Also going from specific to general, and from Elan's point of view.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-12, 10:11 PM
You can leave the name calling at home.

Shame on you sir, I'll have you know that intelligence is often the second highest stat for bards, particularly skill monkey and social types. No, Elan's been a buffoon since about strip 1. Belkar made a remark about taking the biggest dump since Elan assigned his INT stat... would take me a while to find the strip... at the moment, not worth the time.

Peelee
2022-10-12, 10:18 PM
Shame on you sir, I'll have you know that intelligence is often the second highest stat for bards, particularly skill monkey and social types. No, Elan's been a buffoon since about strip 1.

... And? Nobody said intelligence was Elan's second highest stat, or that all bards ever always had intelligence as the second highest stat. I'm from Alabama and I hate grits, does that mean that people from Alabama don't often enjoy grits? Ten bonus points to whoever quotes My Cousin Vinny, btw

Jasdoif
2022-10-13, 12:07 AM
I'm from Alabama and I hate grits, does that mean that people from Alabama don't often enjoy grits?The real question is if they're instant. And if the judge was a Munster.

brian 333
2022-10-13, 12:34 AM
The real question is if they're instant. And if the judge was a Munster.

The real-real question is whether they prefer them with cheese and/or jalapeno, and if they want shrimp on them or fried eggs.

That's more than one question.

pearl jam
2022-10-13, 01:54 AM

You can leave the name calling at home.

Says the same person who just said bards and idiots are equivalent? :smallconfused:

Tzardok
2022-10-13, 02:49 AM
Says the same person who just said bards and idiots are equivalent? :smallconfused:

Well, if no one gives you the cues for your punchlines you'll have to make them yourself. :smalltongue:

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-13, 09:24 AM
Says the same person who just said bards and idiots are equivalent? :smallconfused: I suggest you go back and ungoof the quote; somewher in the edit/reply process, you have me saying something the other poster said. (Happens to me with some frequency when I miss or add one of those {/quote] or {quote] things).

littlebum2002
2022-10-13, 02:30 PM
1. Puppeteers
2. Bards
3. The Order of the Stick
4. Humans

Metastachydium
2022-10-13, 02:45 PM
1. Puppeteers;
2. founding fathers of churches;
3. blond folks males in happy and fulfilling lon-term relationships;
4. humans.

Fyraltari
2022-10-13, 02:59 PM
blond folks;

Hilgya wouldn't call blond folks "your people".

Metastachydium
2022-10-13, 03:08 PM
Hilgya wouldn't call blond folks "your people".

Fair enough.

pearl jam
2022-10-13, 03:27 PM
I suggest you go back and ungoof the quote; somewher in the edit/reply process, you have me saying something the other poster said. (Happens to me with some frequency when I miss or add one of those {/quote] or {quote] things).

Ah, oops! Thanks.

gbaji
2022-10-13, 03:59 PM
The real question is if they're instant. And if the judge was a Munster.

Also... whether you got your grits from the same place Jack got his magic beans.

Peelee
2022-10-13, 04:06 PM
The real question is if they're instant.
No self-respectin' southerner uses instant grits.

Also... whether you got your grits from the same place Jack got his magic beans.
I'm a fast cook, I guess!

Fyraltari
2022-10-13, 04:34 PM
No self-respectin' southerner uses instant grits.

Ah yes, the "No True Grit" fallacy.

Peelee
2022-10-13, 04:37 PM
Ah yes, the "No True Grit" fallacy.

I take pride in my grits.

Fyraltari
2022-10-13, 04:51 PM
I take pride in my grits.

Related, what's a grit?

Jasdoif
2022-10-13, 05:06 PM
I take pride in my grits.Which helps establish the proper timeline! I only saw My Cousin Vinny once.

Related, what's a grit?Grits (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits) are a type of porridge based on maize/corn. It's one of those strange words that's become almost exclusively used in the plural when talking about food; whereas the singular is more about coarseness in sand/tone (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0902.html)/stone.

Peelee
2022-10-13, 05:07 PM
Related, what's a grit?

It's made out of corn. Them hominy grits.

I only saw My Cousin Vinny once.
The kids were on trial for murder but I think this is the real crime.

It's the most procedurally accurate legal movie ever made! They use it as a teaching aid in numerous law schools! And it's got one of the greatest actors of our time, Joe Pesci! Truly it is a masterpiece for the ages.

Jasdoif
2022-10-13, 05:12 PM
It's the most procedurally accurate legal movie ever made! They use it as a teaching aid in numerous law schools! And it's got one of the greatest actors of our time, Joe Pesci!And the last film appearance of Fred Gwynne, who is probably more recognizable as Herman Munster on The Munsters.

Peelee
2022-10-13, 05:15 PM
And the last film appearance of Fred Gwynne, who is probably more recognizable as Herman Munster on The Munsters.

And Marissa Tomei got an Oscar for it despite it being a silly comedy.

Its a helluva movie.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-13, 06:47 PM
And Marissa Tomei got an Oscar for it Mute testimony to how irrelevant the Oscars are.

gbaji
2022-10-13, 07:24 PM
The kids were on trial for murder but I think this is the real crime.

Yup. Great film. If I'm channel surfing (yeah, some of us still do that, stop judging me!), and I see this, doesn't matter how far into it it is, I'll stop and watch the rest.

Seriously. It's that good of a film. If you haven't seen it, just watch. It's just this magical balance of fun, sarcastic, dramatic, silly, serious(ish), and a ton of other superlative things. The character portrayals by Pesci and Tomei are simultaneously over the top and yet perfect at the same time. There are no actual "bad guys" in the film at all. The antagonist is the legal system (but not on a condemnatory way, just "really unlucky circumstances"). And it does a very good job of showing the legal process as well without it ever being out of reach for any random person to understand and follow.

And yeah. The courtroom scenes make the film. I watch that film, then I watch literally any courtroom scene from Law and Order, and I just shake my head (at how absolutely horrifically nonsensically bad the latter is, especially for a show where the hook is supposed to be that the "courtroom" aspects are to be equal to the police work aspects). So yeah. Go watch it.

Laurentio III
2022-10-14, 06:52 AM
1. Puppeteers;
2. Characters with family issues;
3. Puppeteers;
4. Humans;
5. Puppeteers, but specifically for theraupetic reasons like resolving family issues.

littlebum2002
2022-11-01, 11:41 AM
Mute testimony to how irrelevant the Oscars are.

While I do think the Oscars are not quite as important as they make themselves out to be, I still think they are a pretty good (but not perfect) guide to what movies and performances were noteworthy from the year. That being said, if I wanted to make an example of the Oscars getting it wrong, this is not a good example. Her performance was stellar in that movie, and look at who she was up against:

Judy Davis – Husbands and Wives as Sally Wainwright
Joan Plowright – Enchanted April as Mrs. Fisher
Vanessa Redgrave – Howards End as Ruth Wilcox
Miranda Richardson – Damage as Ingrid Fleming

Not really much competition there. Even if you look at the Golden Globes, in case the Oscars missed one, it's not much better

Joan Plowright – Enchanted April
Geraldine Chaplin – Chaplin
Judy Davis – Husbands and Wives
Miranda Richardson – Damage
Alfre Woodard – Passion Fish

So apparently 1992 just wasn't a very good year for movies. If you want a better example of a huge L by the Oscars, look at Forrest Gump beating Shawshank Redemption or Driving Miss Daisy beating Dead Poets Society

Crimsonmantle
2022-11-02, 01:39 PM
Not to mention 'idiots' and 'my family'!

Precure
2022-11-04, 11:41 AM
1. Puppeteers
2. Bards
3. Males
4. Humans

Metastachydium
2022-11-04, 12:15 PM
1. Puppeteers;
2. Characters with family issues;
3. Puppeteers;
4. Humans;
5. Puppeteers, but specifically for theraupetic reasons like resolving family issues.

1. Puppeteers
2. Bards
3. Males
4. Humans

You see, I like the kind of answer Laurentio gave and I don't quite like the kind that you did. Why is half this thread assuming Elan's trains of thought make sense?