PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Sage [PEACH]

Razade
2022-10-12, 01:19 AM
The Sage

https://i.ibb.co/Gxntrvg/c94754e050e0b6338f6a4cc1943b6bac.jpg (https://ibb.co/DVz8jD3)

A Half Elf wanders into town, overburdened with herbs and roots from the forests nearby. He hurries to a nearby inn, his room a clutter of scrolls and mortars. His room is little more than a makeshift lab, fruits and herbs in piles, arcane symbols and reagents scattered about, even on his bed. Hours later he is seen crossing town, a potion in one hand and a scroll in the other, his destination a small hospital where a wave of illness has broken out. The Half Elf attends to the sick, administering his potions, using needles on pressure points and healing light to purge the sickness from the patients. It is long past nighttime when he is finished, exhausted, but by morning his room is clear, the Half Elf back on the road to the next town in need of his services.

Harmony with their Surroundings

The Sage, through study and practice, has learned to bring their natural energies and the energies around them in sync, breathing with the world and channeling this energy not only into fantastic effects but using this knowledge to shape and command the natural world. The Sage spends much of their time out beyond the borders of towns and cities, living with nature and cultivating their powers and their connection to the natural world. As such, they’ve learned to channel these natural places with their own energies, mimicking many of nature’s dangers and benefits around them wherever they go.

A Life of Healing and Travel

These energies are not merely used in mimicking and moving through the natural world, the Sage a practitioner of holistic and spiritual healing. Their understanding of magical and natural energies allows them to manipulate even other creature’s energies and essences. These talents can either be used to cure disease and heal the wounded or harm those that might do them ill. The Sage rarely remains in one place too long, seeking out others to heal or aid, traveling from city to village to far away hermitages when needed. It is not merely their magic that is honed by these travels, the Sage competent in defending themselves for where there are roads there are very often those that might prey on those who travel upon them.

Level

Proficiency Bonus

Features

Focus

Cantrips Known

Spells Known

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

+2
Spell Casting, Sagecraft, Zone
-
-
-
-
-

+2
Focus
-
-
-
-

+2
-
-
-
-
-

+2
Ability Score Improvement
-
-
-

+3
Zone Expansion
-
-
-

+3
Sagecraft Feature
-
-
-

+3
Expanded Focus
-
-

+3
-
-

+4
Extra Attack
-
-

+4
Zone Expansion
-
-

+4
-
-

+4
Ability Score Improvement, Sagecraft Feature
-

+5
-
-

+5
Expanded Focus

+5
-

+5

+6
-

+6
Sagecraft Ability

+6
Abiliyt Score Improvement

+6
Zone Mastery

As a Sage, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Sage level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per Sage level after 1st

Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose two from Insight, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Persuasion, and Religion

Spellcasting

Drawing from your balance of energies, rituals and the world around you, you can shape these energies into powerful magical effects.

Cantrips

At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice from the Sage spell list. You learn additional Sage cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Sage table.
Spell Slots
The Sage table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your Sage spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these Sage spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell burning hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast burning hands using either slot.
Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know one 1st-level spells of your choice from the Sage spell list.
The Spells Known column of the Sage table shows when you learn more Sage spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the Sage spells you know and replace it with another spell from the Sage spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability

Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your Sage spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to project your will to manipulate the world around you. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Sage spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Sagecraft

A Sage is at balance with the world around them, utilizing the power within themselves and the natural energies of the world not only with their spells but other supernatural effects. A Sage, at Level 1, must choose their Sagecraft from the following: Dawn, Dusk, Force, Forecast, Frost, Sand, Storm, or Swamp

Zone

A Sage has a Zone around them out to 15 feet at Level 1 and increasing by 5 feet at Level 5, 10 and 15. This Zone takes the shape of a cube that extends in area above and below the Sage equal to their maximum Zone range. The effects of this Zone are determined by a Sage’s Sagecraft.

Focus

At Level 2, the Sage may extend their Focus anywhere within their Zone and gain 2 Focus. Sages gain additional Focus per the Sage chart. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. Sages may expend Focus to cast a spell from their Sagecraft list. You regain all Focus after a Long Rest.

Spell Level

Focus Cost

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

At 7th Level and 14th Level, a Sage may choose an Expanded Focus from the following.

Expanded Knowledge: You can spend an additional Focus per spell level to cast a spell they do not know from their Sage spell list.

Sage’s Wisdom: You can expend a number of Focus equal to your Sage level rounded down to increase your Spell Check DC when casting on targets within your Zone.

Constrain: When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 4 Focus to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell. This target must be within the Sage’s Zone

Mold: When you cast a spell with an area of effect you may spend 3 Focus to select a target within that area, and additional Focus per additional target up to half your Sage level, rounded down. Targets of your choice within the area of effect are not affected by the spell. You may only choose targets within your Zone.

Shift: You may spend 4 Focus to swap two targets within your Zone. Unwilling Targets may make a Wisdom Check equal to 8 + your Sage Level rounded down + Proficiency Bonus.

Bullseye: You may spend 3 Focus to gain Advantage on an Attack Action against any target within your Zone.

Passage: You may spend 4 Focus as a Bonus Action to mimic the effects of Freedom of Movement on yourself, or another target within your Zone. This effect lasts equal to your Sage Levels. If you target another creature, they must remain in your Zone or the effect ends.

Extra Attack

Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Zone Mastery

At 20th Level you may expand your Zone anywhere you have line of sight as a Bonus Action. The effects of your Sagecraft Zone affect all applicable targets as long as you have line of sight. You must spend 4 Focus per Round to maintain this effect. If you would run out of Focus the effects of Zone Mastery end. Zone Mastery requires Concentration.

Sage Spell List

Cantrips

Poison Spray
Produce Flame
Mending
Spare the Dying
Resistance
Shocking Grasp
Ray of Frost
Firebolt
Thaumaturgy

1st Level

Feather Fall
Create or Destroy Water
Entangle
Fog Cloud
Purify Food and Drink
Cure Wounds
Detect Poison and Disease
Sleep
Shield
Bane
Bless
Faire Fire
Animal Friendship

2nd Level

Barkskin
Darkvision
Enhance Ability
Hold Person
Lesser Restoration
Spike Growth
Protection from Poison
Aid
Silence
Warding Bond
Blindness/Deafness
Blur
Darkness
Detect Thoughts
Invisibility
Web
Magic Weapon
Ray of Enfeeblement

3rd Level

Dispel Magic
Bestow Curse
Glyph of Warding
Magic Circle
Revivify
Remove Curse
Spirit Guardians
Fear
Blink
Fly
Haste
Slow
Stinking Cloud
Nondetection
Vampiric Touch

4th Level

Banishment
Freedom of Movement
Blight
Stoneskin
Confusion
Black Tentacles
Resilient Sphere

5th Level

Mass Cure Wounds
Contagion
Geas
Greater Restoration
Insect Plague
Cloudkill
Mislead
Passwall

Razade
2022-10-12, 01:21 AM
Sagecraft

Dawn

Healing Dawn: At 1st Level

Level 6: At 6th Level

Level 12: At 12th Level

Level 18: At 18th Level

Dawn Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Dusk

Enshrouding Dusk: At 1st Level

Dusk Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Force

Push: At 1st Level

Force Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Forest

Growth: At 1st Level

Forest Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Frost

Chill: At 1st Level

Frost Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Sand

Dust Devil: At 1st Level

Sand Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Storm

Shock: At 1st Level

Storm Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Swamp

Mire: At 1st Level

Swamp Spell List
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th:

Yakk
2022-10-12, 01:59 PM
A cha-based caster called "Sage" seems strange. I'd strongly think it would be int based given the name.

Adding +Sage level to DCs is crazy. I think you have typos.

Mold is unreadable. I have no idea how much Focus it takes to add targets.

Focus advancement seems somewhat random.

Your Focus text mentions "sorcery points". And you mimiced flexible casting a bit much.

Your Sage zone should have a baseline effect, instead of being only Sagecraft based.

Extra Attack appearing out of nowhere is strange. Nothing about the fluff makes me think "this is a trained combatant". Like an artificer, some subclasses could have it.

Also the table and the text disagree at what level you get extra attack.

I think you want something like a wandering priest or shaman?

Yakk
2022-10-12, 02:09 PM
"Hermit" might work better as a name.

Razade
2022-10-12, 02:32 PM
A cha-based caster called "Sage" seems strange. I'd strongly think it would be int based given the name.

If anything, Wisdom but Sage in this context is taking more the concept of wandering mystics which are certainly Cha based.

Adding +Sage level to DCs is crazy. I think you have typos.[/quote]

It's half your Sage level, if that's still too crazy I can amend it. I don't see any typos there.

Mold is unreadable. I have no idea how much Focus it takes to add targets.

It's missing an an.

Your Focus text mentions "sorcery points". And you mimiced flexible casting a bit much.

I certainly took inspiration from it ,and will go back and edit that. I don't think they mimic any of the meta-magics too much however. They're meant to be a Sorcerer gish with a focus on debuff/buff/healing so I figured mimicing Sorcerer for the spellcasting would be good.

Your Sage zone should have a baseline effect, instead of being only Sagecraft based.

I'm still working on this part, but you get the Zone effect at level 1 from your Sagecraft.

Extra Attack appearing out of nowhere is strange. Nothing about the fluff makes me think "this is a trained combatant". Like an artificer, some subclasses could have it.

Sure, figured since they're a gish, giving them an extra attack would still be good. They're not backline casters.

[/B]Also the table and the text disagree at what level you get extra attack.

Yep, seems so. I can fix that

"Hermit" might work better as a name.

They're not an aesthetic who stays away from or abstains from civilization. I don't think Hermit really works here.

Yakk
2022-10-12, 08:02 PM
Sure, but "Sage" really doesn't describe this class well. I'm not sure what they are.

Hermit was an attempt to hook into "gets power from being alone and communing with nature" bit in the explanation.

I guess you could also lean into the idea of making deals with spirits, and get a name from that.

But I'm really not sure what this class is, other than a bunch of mechanics.

JNAProductions
2022-10-13, 08:27 PM
This doesn't look finished.

But adding half your level to a save DC, in place of an ability score, is pretty insane.
For reference, since you only get this at level seven, it's +3. One less than an 18 in the right stat. Next level, +4; but still one behind because now you can have a 20 in the stat. But at level 10? It equals a 20 in the right stat. At level 12? It's better than you can be without DM assistance. You can make this completely unsavable as early as level 14. 8+7+5=20, PCs can have as low as -1 to their Wisdom checks under Point Buy/Standard Array.

Also, calling for a check instead of a save makes it VASTLY harder. The only thing that adds to that is your Wisdom modifier, and half proficiency bonus if you're a Bard with Jack Of All Trades.

Razade
2022-10-14, 11:36 AM
This doesn't look finished.

It isn't.

But adding half your level to a save DC, in place of an ability score, is pretty insane.
For reference, since you only get this at level seven, it's +3. One less than an 18 in the right stat. Next level, +4; but still one behind because now you can have a 20 in the stat. But at level 10? It equals a 20 in the right stat. At level 12? It's better than you can be without DM assistance. You can make this completely unsavable as early as level 14. 8+7+5=20, PCs can have as low as -1 to their Wisdom checks under Point Buy/Standard Array.

I figured since it was only in a short range that'd balance it. The alternative was boost the DC per Focus, so I'll probably go and do that.

Also, calling for a check instead of a save makes it VASTLY harder. The only thing that adds to that is your Wisdom modifier, and half proficiency bonus if you're a Bard with Jack Of All Trades.

I don't see that as a problem, a new class should be able to do things that aren't covered elsewhere.

JNAProductions
2022-10-14, 11:41 AM
You can do different things with a class-and generally should, or at least combine existing things in new ways.

But calling for a check instead of a save is pretty much just a buff with no rhyme or reason.

Edit: Let me put it this way: what's the in-universe reasoning for it to be a check instead of a save? What makes this different from Hold Person or something else that forces a save?