PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Spell suggestions

Fae
2022-10-12, 02:32 PM
I'm looking for 1st level spells that are good for control I specialize in necromancy and I oppose illusion and enchantment so far I have rot of ages, shield, mage armor, ray of enfeeblement, grease, and, fearsome necromancy

Fero
2022-10-12, 02:51 PM
Cause Fear is good at very low levels. Sticky Floor (Races of the Dragon) may go well with your rays of enfeeblement.

Inevitability
2022-10-12, 03:30 PM
Wall of Smoke is always a pretty good control spell.

Rebel7284
2022-10-12, 04:20 PM
Blockade is nifty especially if you're in an actual dungeon/cramped space. Swift action wall at level 1!?

northernbard80
2022-10-12, 09:23 PM
Magic Missile is a must! It doesn't require an attack roll, ignores armor and always hits. Plus it does more damage at higher levels.

Rebel7284
2022-10-12, 10:49 PM
Magic Missile is a must! It doesn't require an attack roll, ignores armor and always hits. Plus it does more damage at higher levels.

This is bad advice.

- It isn't a control spell
- It isn't a good spell
- Blasting is suboptimal in general

I will grant that level 1 is the best level for Magic Missile as HP totals are low enough that knocking out wounded opponents without an attack roll can be valuable, but as in all levels, buffing, debuffing, and battlefield control tend to all be more powerful in general.

Biggus
2022-10-13, 02:19 AM
This is bad advice.

- It isn't a control spell
- It isn't a good spell
- Blasting is suboptimal in general

I will grant that level 1 is the best level for Magic Missile as HP totals are low enough that knocking out wounded opponents without an attack roll can be valuable, but as in all levels, buffing, debuffing, and battlefield control tend to all be more powerful in general.

While I agree with "Blasting is suboptimal in general"...

- the OP lists several non-control spells
- most wizards want an odd blasty spell even if it's not their main focus
- BFC isn't that good at high levels, where a lot of enemies can fly, teleport, cast spells etc

aglondier
2022-10-13, 07:51 AM
Animate Skeleton. Gets you one animated skeleton to do your bidding/bodyguard you. Fairly sure someone did it for 3.5, and I know it's in pathfinder.
Had a lot of fun with this spell in the past, give your skelly some padding and a fully enclosed suit of armour and he can pass as a silent bodyguard for your wizard.

smetzger
2022-10-14, 12:27 PM
Summon Undead I from Heroes of Horror would fit with your Necromancer theme

Zombulian
2022-10-14, 12:34 PM
I’m personally partial to Benign Transposition. Good for getting yourself out of sticky situations and positioning your heavy hitters.

Inevitability
2022-10-14, 03:33 PM
Summon Undead I from Heroes of Horror would fit with your Necromancer theme

This one's good, but don't feel pressured to take it right away! Round/level spells can be very good at mid- or high-levels, but if your summon doesn't last for an entire encounter (or at least, long enough to get smashed into dust and offer the rest of the party some respite), it's a bad deal to summon.

Anthrowhale
2022-10-15, 08:14 AM
Any necromancer interested in blasting should look at Sunstroke: 2d6+Fort-or-Fatigue is quite solid at level 1. Another convincing one is Summon Marked Homunculus[Arbalester] which lasts for an hour, but requires you have a dragonmark.

W.r.t. battlefield control, if you invest in Arcane Disciple[Plant] and have a good wisdom then Entangle is quite solid. Long range, a 40' radius, and lasts for a minute. With a party that has ranged weapons, this is an encounter ender.

Another one that can be convincing in tight underground environments is Blockade. It's a swift action and can separate enemy forces for 3 rounds.

Aquillion
2022-10-18, 12:51 AM
Grease is typically considered the best first-level battlefield control spell, but you already have it.

Sleep is, of course, one of the best spells in the game at level one and rapidly becomes useless after that.

Color Spray is similar to Sleep, although the fact that it does something to higher-HD enemies makes it last a bit longer.

Silent Image can be an immensely powerful control spell if used properly, and retains its value much better than most other first-level spells.

Obscuring Mist can also be a powerful control spell, although its effectiveness depends on your group and the larger context. But generally speaking making half the battlefield hard to attack is a useful control trick.