PDA

View Full Version : Games you currently play or have played in the past

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-30, 12:05 PM
Some people think that fans of D&D 3.X/4 have never played other games or are unaware of other games existance or that they just flame other games. Not to sidetrack that thread, I created this one. I for one have had a long and varied RPG "career", some were good, many were bad. Please, feel free to list your own experiences for good or for bad.

2300 AD - Bought a used copy, never got to play it. A shame because it looked intriguing.
(White Wolf - WoD type) - I've played *most* of the incarnations of this system and I just absolutely hate it. I can't say why really, it just is not my cup of tea.
(Palladium system) - Again, I have played most all of the titles, usually involved in Rifts. I liked them all. I really love the randomness of character generation involved in most of the systems. Especially TMNT.
Amber - Never played, never owned the books. It seems really cool though.
Babylon 5 - Loved the show, the system sucked and couldn't generate enough interest to keep a group.
(Tri-Stat DX system) - Inclucding BESM and Silver Age Sentinels. I like the system, it is a good, clean system. I just can't find anyine to play it.
Boot Hill - Sucked. Cool idea, but Deadlands is a much better game.
Call of Cthulu (Chaosium system as a whole) - I like this style of system. Runequest, Elric, Cthulu. All solid games with a decent system attached.
Champions - A great game. It is fun, but in many ways I think Tri-Stat does the job better with less work. Champions required advanced math degrees, a calculator and an abacus just toget off page one. (I keed) I did have a blast playing this though.
C°ntinuum - I yearn to play this game it seems phenomonal.
Cyberpunk - I had already played Shadowrun when I fist played this, so in light of that, it sucked. I hated the system.
(West End d6 system) - Star Wars and Paranoia - I like it is, it was ok. Paranoia is still one of the most fun games ever IMO.
Deadlands - Cool concept, ok system. Could never get enough people to play.
Fantasy Trip - Played it, hated it.
Gamma World (1st EDITION!) - One of the greatest games ever made. I loved me some Gamma World. 3rd Edition was ok, a little more 'player friendly', but I loved the fun of making a character and not having any idea what it would be when it came out.
Gurps - Meh. Never found it anything interesting. Too generic I guess. :smallredface:
(I.C.E. System) - Only played MERP. I like the system. I really dug the 500 pages of critical hits. :smallbiggrin:
Mechwarrior - Really we mostly played Battletech, but we had our Mechwarrior characters anyway.... The system was just too clunky. Battletech = good; Mechwarrior... not so much.
Twilight 2000 - The system was kind of meh, but for nitty gritty real world post apoc combat... It's really the only choice. I definately plan on checking out Twilight: 2013.
Pokethulu - On my list of "gotta try it". It just looks fun.
Shadowrun (up to 3e ONLY!) - Although I have been a D&D player for more years than Shadowrun existed, I think I have actually put in more hours of playtime in Shadowrun. Obviously, I love(d) the game. 4th Edition was an abomination unto God and man and Great Spirits. We still kick around the idea of starting a game back up....Too many fragging dice though... oy - my only real complaint about Shadowrun. Too many fragging dice!
Star Frontiers - Good game, never got to play it enough.
Star Wreck - On my list of "maybes" but the system looks kinda crappy.
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - I played the original edition of it, it was cool in flavor, but kind of sucked in actual mechanics. I haven't checked out the current incarnation, so I can't make a fair judgement of that.

Reinboom
2007-11-30, 12:15 PM
I have a rather short list... :smallfrown:
All versions of D&D except 3.0, D&D, AD&D, AD&D 2e, Player's Options, and 3.5. (Though some of these were a single game and "ugh! I want to return to 2e!" - note: I now prefer 3.5)
World of Darkness - Mixed feelings.
Psion - Love this (ok... WoD, but different setup... still)
BESM 3rd edition. - Meh.
A custom system
Shadowrun 4e - Hated
Savage Worlds - Deadlands - Enjoyed thoroughly, though, mostly for an awesome GM
All Flesh Must be Eaten - Was interesting.
Battle... something. - Not important.

Overall, the most I've played has obviously been D&D... and generally the most fun I have is D&D thanks to all the character choices, among other things.
Psion was also fun, though, could be a bit more expansive...

Roderick_BR
2007-11-30, 12:18 PM
Gurps: I like only the Supers one.
White Wolf (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage): I like the system for non-medieval games, but I highly dislike the scenarios, except, maybe by Werewolf. I can still have some fun in it.
ShadowRun: Played only once, and had a bit of fun.

Board games:
Hero Quest: Played only a couple times
BattleTech: Played only once and never touched it again.
MageKnight: Tried to play once, but my friend kept making up rules on the spot, so I gave up.

Brazilian games:
Defensores de Tókyo (Defenders of Tokyo): Based in anime and manga. Pretty much a streamlined Besm game. Fun for quick games and to emulate some videogame scenarios.
Arcanun: Mixes medieval fantasy and real world's dark age history. Here, your wizards doesn't fly and kill dragons. They are burned in the stake. Uses a realistic set of rules (even at "high level", you can easily be killed with a sword hit).

That's it. We don't have many titles available here in Brazil. We need to import most of the games. I think there's also Paranoia and CyberPunk, but I never saw a group of any of these.
Ah, I also have a copy of MMwG, RNoW, and Pokéthulu, but never convinced anyone to play these. :smalltongue:

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-30, 12:22 PM
A big 3.x fan, here is my list:

Cyberpunk 2020 - so far my favorite non-fantasy game that I've played
Shadowrun - cyberpunk is far superior in my mind, I don't like all the fantasy elements and it always seemed like a ripoff of CP2010/2020 to me.
WARS RPG - I love this setting so much, even though I've got the books, I have yet to play it. One of the best new games out there.
WoD - Hopefully getting Core, Werewolf and Vampire (newest edition) for Christmas :smallbiggrin: I am impressed by what I've seen/heard and have already got a campaign idea lined up.
GURPS - I want to try it out sometime, but I've never got anyone with the books and I don't feel like spending a lot of money on it when I've got systems for the genres I'm interested in.
Serenity RPG - Decent game, love the show and movie. I like the creation system, but we never really got a game off more than 2 sessions.
Call of Cthuhlu - Seems like an interesting system that I might want to try, but not something I'd GM.
Risus - Love the system so much, I have yet to play it but I will force/trick my players into it at some point.
Star Wars - I've heard good things about Saga, it makes me want to try it out sometime.
Mutants and Masterminds 2e - I love that system and so do my players, its great for all sorts of stuff.
Etherworld - I've heard good things about it, I'd like to try it out some time.
Rifts - I've heard great things about the setting, but when I've looked at it, its just not really my thing.

That's all for now.

Edit: Crap I forgot some!

Paranoia - I've heard great things and read some of it, I really want to play it.
Toon - I've heard great things about this system as well, I want to try it out.

serok42
2007-11-30, 12:25 PM
I have played

WEG Star Wars - I think this is my favorite aside from D&D
DC Universe - Playing a Villains game currently
Marvel Universe - Played a Super hero game a few years back
World of darkness - Mainly Vampire and Mage. I think i liked Mage the Ascension
the best
Dont know the system but Im in an off and on Star Trek game where we are all
bridge officers. Im the security officer :smallbiggrin:
Star Trek Prime Directive (I think that is what it is called) That was pretty fun
as well. I was a vulcan Psion

JadedDM
2007-11-30, 12:26 PM
What other games?

No, seriously, though. I've never tried anything other than 2E AD&D. I just wasn't exposed to much gaming material, as a rule. I don't know why. Perhaps because I don't know any gamers in real life (which is why I play all my games online) or maybe because there are no local gaming shops where I live. Who can say? This is probably why I've never played, run, or even seen a module before, either.

SmartAlec
2007-11-30, 12:30 PM
All the games I've encountered in the past have been mentioned - except for Ars Magica, which I had some good fun with.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-30, 12:37 PM
I'll just include the ones I've played more than once, aside from 3.0/3.5. Mind you, I'm relatively new to gaming, so there's just a few:

Battletech
Fading Suns
Whitewolf

(I won't include Hero Quest, I think it's too simple to compare to a full RPG).
Technically, the Battletech hasn't been really RPG style, but I've played it enough to merit inclusion.

A few one-shots of other systems.

Satyr
2007-11-30, 12:54 PM
All Flesh must be eaten. It's supposed to bve a survival game about zombies, but in fact it's one great and easy to use set of tools to create almost everything. Something like the love child of D&D and Gurps. Great game, both for short adventures and longer campaigns.
The other games based on the same (or nearly the same) rule system are based on bad television series (Buffy...) but hey are fun to play, too. The sme publisher also offers an own "magelike" game, called Witchcraft, which is how the White Wolf games are supposed to be.

Unknown Armies. Hard to explain. A very surreal, yet well made RPG about (postmodern) magic, strange rituals and humans who ascend to godhood. I never played a whole campaign in it, but the scenario book for the system called One shots is a dear friend; I've played all scenarios in it several times, on both sides of the gamemaster screen.

World of Darkness. Only the original one. The new books feel like a rip-off of the original games, with a surprising lack of originality. I still like and occasionally play the oWoD games, but I hate the new ones from the core of my heart. (And I'm not alone. The nWoD games are oop in German).

The Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge The German local matador of roleplaying games. It started out as a AD&D rip-off back in the eighties, but it changed over time (now it is more like a gurps rip-off). I have a vry ambivalent opinion about the game - on the on hand, the background is in several points the best I've ever seen in any Fantasy RPG. It is very detailed, and in most parts made with a lot of passion and love. On the other hand, the extremely detailed background leaves almost no freedom for own ideas, and the rules are nightmarish unelegant. Not necessarily difficult, but plump and sluggish. But oh, what great campaigns it offers! The adventure modules are numerous and even though there is a lot of crappy adventures, there are some true pearls among them.

Counterspin
2007-11-30, 01:06 PM
Big 3e fan

Presume WW games 2nd and 3rd editions
Vampire
Werewolf
Unknown Armies
Warhammer FRPG
(That one where you're a group like the Ghostbusters and it's set up like a reality TV show)
RIFTS