PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Deformity (Clawed Hands)

Mordante
2022-10-14, 04:34 AM
My Warlock has the feat "Deformity (Clawed Hands)" and has the feat "Eldritch Claws". So far I have been playing as follows I just add the damage of the claw 1D6 plus the damage of my eldritch blast xD6 per claw. In combat I roll to hit per claw and then roll damage per claw. Is this correct?

If I understand it correctly attacking with two claws is not a full round of attack since they are natural weapons. Does this mean that when I charge I can still use both claws?

Does it also mean when I am in melee range I can use "Demoralize Opponent" opponent and then attack?

Tzardok
2022-10-14, 05:07 AM
My Warlock has the feat "Deformity (Clawed Hands)" and has the feat "Eldritch Claws". So far I have been playing as follows I just add the damage of the claw 1D6 plus the damage of my eldritch blast xD6 per claw.

As I can't find the source for Eldritch Claws I can't read up on how it works. So I can only give general knowledge on natural attacks. Note that by RAW Deformity (Clawed Hands) doesn't give you natural weapons, but just changes the way your unarmed strike works. Of course, if your GM says otherwise, then it's otherwise.

In combat I roll to hit per claw and then roll damage per claw. Is this correct?

Correct.

If I understand it correctly attacking with two claws is not a full round of attack since they are natural weapons.

Incorrect. It only works for hydras like that. Making a basic attack action means that you get one attack with one weapon.

Does this mean that when I charge I can still use both claws?

No. Only one claw per charge, unless you can make full attacks after a charge.

Does it also mean when I am in melee range I can use "Demoralize Opponent" opponent and then attack?

No. Demoralizing an opponent is a standard action. Attacking is a standard action. You couldn't do both in the same round, even if your idea how natural weapons work was right.

Mordante
2022-10-14, 06:12 AM
As I can't find the source for Eldritch Claws I can't read up on how it works. So I can only give general knowledge on natural attacks. Note that by RAW Deformity (Clawed Hands) doesn't give you natural weapons, but just changes the way your unarmed strike works. Of course, if your GM says otherwise, then it's otherwise.

Correct.

Incorrect. It only works for hydras like that. Making a basic attack action means that you get one attack with one weapon.

No. Only one claw per charge, unless you can make full attacks after a charge.

No. Demoralizing an opponent is a standard action. Attacking is a standard action. You couldn't do both in the same round, even if your idea how natural weapons work was right.

Thank you for your answers. I'm trying to find a way to make intimidate a more useful skill in close combat.

For Eldritch claw:
Type: General
Source: Dragon #358

You can deliver your eldritch blast as a melee attack.
Prerequisite: Eldritch blast 2d6.
Benefit: As a free action, you can form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws extending almost an entire foot from your hands. While your eldritch claws exist you may make up to two claw attacks as natural weapons. You are automatically proficient with your eldritch claws. On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage. Once you form your eldritch claws they remain until just before the beginning of your next turn. You cannot use your normal eldritch blast ability while your eldritch claws exist. A monk may not use eldritch claws as part of her flurry of blows.

Rynjin
2022-10-14, 07:07 AM
Ask your GM if you can take the Pathfinder feat Cornugon Smash. It lets you Intimidate as a Free action after landing a Power Attack.

Aracor
2022-10-14, 08:15 AM
Thank you for your answers. I'm trying to find a way to make intimidate a more useful skill in close combat.

For Eldritch claw:
Type: General
Source: Dragon #358

You can deliver your eldritch blast as a melee attack.
Prerequisite: Eldritch blast 2d6.
Benefit: As a free action, you can form the energy of your eldritch blast into a set of claws extending almost an entire foot from your hands. While your eldritch claws exist you may make up to two claw attacks as natural weapons. You are automatically proficient with your eldritch claws. On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage. Once you form your eldritch claws they remain until just before the beginning of your next turn. You cannot use your normal eldritch blast ability while your eldritch claws exist. A monk may not use eldritch claws as part of her flurry of blows.

Technically speaking, Eldritch Claw doesn't interact at all with your Willing Deformity Claws.

You can either attack with your Deformity claws, OR you can make unarmed attacks and add your Eldritch Claws damage to your unarmed attacks.

Mordante
2022-10-14, 08:31 AM
Technically speaking, Eldritch Claw doesn't interact at all with your Willing Deformity Claws.

You can either attack with your Deformity claws, OR you can make unarmed attacks and add your Eldritch Claws damage to your unarmed attacks.

I don't think I agree with you on this. Unless you don't consider an unarmed claw attack, as an unarmed strike attack.

Deformity (Clawed Hands)
The character has the ability to deal 1d6 points of damage as an unarmed claw attack. The character is considered armed even when unarmed.

Eldritch Claws
On a successful attack with an eldritch claw, you deal your normal amount of unarmed strike damage plus your eldritch blast damage.

Aracor
2022-10-14, 08:34 AM
I don't think I agree with you on this. Unless you don't consider an unarmed claw attack, as an unarmed strike attack.

I do not. Otherwise it would say something along the lines of "You may add 1d6 claw damage to your unarmed strike attack, and are considered armed."

Personally, I'd skip the Willing Deformity and instead dip either Monk, Battle Dancer, Unarmed Swordsage, or anything else that grants Improved Unarmed Strike. Then you can simply use it as intended, and you can stack Superior Unarmed Strike, Monk's Belt, etc to get more damage than you would be from your deformity claws.

Mordante
2022-10-14, 08:55 AM
I do not. Otherwise it would say something along the lines of "You may add 1d6 claw damage to your unarmed strike attack, and are considered armed."

Personally, I'd skip the Willing Deformity and instead dip either Monk, Battle Dancer, Unarmed Swordsage, or anything else that grants Improved Unarmed Strike. Then you can simply use it as intended, and you can stack Superior Unarmed Strike, Monk's Belt, etc to get more damage than you would be from your deformity claws.

I'm going for Acolyte of the skin PrC which has received a little homebrew buff and then I go for Hellfire warlock using the Strongheart Vest.

Telonius
2022-10-14, 09:12 AM
The wording of Willing Deformity is pretty weird:

The character has the ability to deal 1d6 points of damage as an unarmed claw attack. The character is considered armed even when unarmed. Special:
The character does not draw attacks of opportunity when attacking unarmed, and he threatens areas even when unarmed.

Normally I'd think that it would turn your hands into a Natural Weapon. But the wording doesn't say that; it says it's an unarmed claw attack. This might be a 3.0 thing (BoVD and BoED both came out right at the edge between 3.0 and 3.5). But if you're treating the wording as modifying your unarmed attack (like Monk's unarmed strike does) rather than giving a Natural Weapon, it ought to stack with Eldritch Claws.

Aracor
2022-10-14, 09:29 AM
The wording of Willing Deformity is pretty weird:

Normally I'd think that it would turn your hands into a Natural Weapon. But the wording doesn't say that; it says it's an unarmed claw attack. This might be a 3.0 thing (BoVD and BoED both came out right at the edge between 3.0 and 3.5). But if you're treating the wording as modifying your unarmed attack (like Monk's unarmed strike does) rather than giving a Natural Weapon, it ought to stack with Eldritch Claws.

The more reasonable ruling would be that Willing Deformity: Claws simply gives you a natural claw attack on each hand. If that's the case, it won't stack with Eldritch Claws. You're right that the wording is probably a 3.0 artifact.

Mordante
2022-10-18, 08:44 AM
The more reasonable ruling would be that Willing Deformity: Claws simply gives you a natural claw attack on each hand. If that's the case, it won't stack with Eldritch Claws. You're right that the wording is probably a 3.0 artifact.

But would you allow it for a warlock?

Gruftzwerg
2022-10-18, 09:44 AM
But would you allow it for a warlock?

If you want to optimize for a clawlock, there are imho better options that are legal.

E.g. Beast Strike feat
Lets you add your (eldritch) claw dmg to your unarmed strikes. Since you now attack with your unarmed strikes, you can get iterative attacks from high BAB. Have a look at my Claw of Malar build in my signature for a full optimized clawlock build. (beware of the optimization lvl of the build)

Eldritch Claw dmg = Unarmed Strike dmg + Eldritch Blast dmg

Beast Strike = Unarmed Strike dmg + (Eldritch) Claw dmg
= (Unarmed Strike dmg)x2 + Eldritch Blast dmg