PDA

View Full Version : What secret?

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-30, 12:51 PM
I'm creating a wizard or rather wizard 6/loremaster 7/achmage 2. Starting int 17 with ability bonuses going up.
Will save: 14
Reflex: 7
Fort: 6

I'm wondering what secrets I should take?

I'm thinking of, secret knowledge of avoidance, dodge trick, Applicable knowledge and the second newfound arcana.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 12:54 PM
*Pssstttt*

I would go for Stamina instead of Dodge....

But don't tell anyone, it is a secret. *ssshhhh*

Keld Denar
2007-11-30, 01:14 PM
Get the feat. It balances out the dead feat you have to take to get into the class (Skill Focus:Knowledge). If you got Skill Focus:Knowledge(Religion) you can double dip it for a level of Divine Oracle to net yourself Evasion(kindof).

Then get the +2 fort save. It will keep you from dying.

Then get the +2 reflex save. It will keep you from dying, and if you have the DO level I mentioned above, it synergizes well with the evasion ability.

Then probably get the +1 attack. You never know when you need to hit that ranged touch attack.

Never get the skills, chances are, if you haven't put skills in it by that point, its not worth having skill ranks in.

Never get the +will saves. If you are level splashing with PRC, your will saves should be high enough.

Never get the +1AC. It really isn't gonna matter.

Never get the bonus spell slots. Why waste a class feature that is easily replicated by a 1000-4000 gold item? (Pearls of Power 1 or 2)

herrhauptmann
2007-11-30, 01:22 PM
Used fort and ref secrets for my loremaster. The 1st and 2nd level spells don't seem worth it. If the toughness secret worked like 'improved toughness' I'd recommend it, otherwise I'd say the dodge bonus over the attack bonus.
Have you looked at 'spellcasting prodigy'? In the forgotten realms handbook. It raises your effective casting stat by 2 for purposes of spells/day and DC. Like a half strength spell focus feat that applies to everything. I also convinced my DM to waive one of the spell focus feats because I had prodigy.

I didn't think you could take archmage until 15th level...

Telonius
2007-11-30, 01:25 PM
The spell slots aren't that bad, actually. Nothing says you can't take the spell slot and get the Pearl.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-30, 01:26 PM
I didn't think you could take archmage until 15th level...

A Wizard gets 7th level spells at 13th level.

Keld Denar
2007-11-30, 01:41 PM
The spell slots aren't that bad, actually. Nothing says you can't take the spell slot and get the Pearl.

No, this is true, but nothing says you can't just buy/craft MORE pearls as well? At no point does gaining an extra 1st or 2nd level spell slot become worth a class feature, unless you were naked and gearless, at which case, you probably have bigger issues like....where is my gear? instead of dang, I wish I could prepare an extra magic missile or web today. MAYBE if it was a 5th level spell slot or higher, it might be more worthwhile. Most wizards above 11th level never get to cast 2nd level spells anymore, unless they are Quickened versions, because most things are either dead or might as well be after 1-2 of their higher level spells.

And don't tell me that actions are at a premium either. Any wizard who is high enough level to have those secrets who is in a situation where they are out of spells, and that 1 SINGLE EXTRA 2nd level spell would win the day, but they can't use it because they have to take a standard action to pearl it back first, is not worth being called a wizard. If you've burned through ALL of your other spells in a single combat and don't have an extra round or 2 to Pearl back a couple spell, either your party is already dead, your DM is a ****, or you forgot to memorize spells that morning.

They just don't carry enough value to be a CLASS FEATURE. Its like people claiming that a monks immunity to poison at 11TH LEVEL is so amazing, when it can be easily aquired by any other class with a small investment.

The +saves? Invaluable. Even with a +resistance item, your weak saves are seldom high enough that you save against everything on anything but a 1. Therefore, they are good.

The feat? Its a great time to grab Quicken Spell, which will pay off a million times more than that 2nd level spell.

The attack bonus? A wizard splashing prestige classes tends to suffer a bit in BAB, and sometimes, that little bit of +hit can make a difference on a touch attack. Ranks lower than the +saves.

If you run out of those, its a good time to take a different PRC that has class features that can't be easily replicated by simple low cost magic items. Like Archmage that he mentioned, or Divine Oracle, or IotSV or any number of the dozen PRCs.