PDA

View Full Version : What level do you start campaigns

Bigmouth
2022-10-15, 10:02 AM
Just curious. I don't get to play much, but from the little I do, it seems that starting at level 1 isn't the norm. I've seen lots of lvl 3 and lvl 4 starting points. Level 3 to get your subclass. Level 4 is probably so people get that first ASI.
Related: When starting at higher than first, how do people handle gold/equipment. The last few games I've made characters for, the gold/equip was straight first level stuff, but the GMs let players start with magic items.
So how do you start?

Tanarii
2022-10-15, 10:42 AM
Clearly if you don't start at level one you're a filthy casual. And lose at least a dozen characters before you get one to level 2!

Seriously tho, I don't assume that games with a home group will go on for more than about 3-5 sessions any more. They always seem to fall apart. Probably because I'm not going to babysit everyone else's time, I can always use that time to run a different game for someone else. (At least pre-covid.)

So I tend to start 5e games at higher than 1st level. But I call out the intended length of the one-shot ahead of time, which helps mitigate any player feels about starting higher than 1st not being earned. Which is very common ImX.

Obviously for a campaign, meaning multiple tables, players & characters, each character should start at level one.

LudicSavant
2022-10-15, 10:47 AM
Just curious. I don't get to play much, but from the little I do, it seems that starting at level 1 isn't the norm. I've seen lots of lvl 3 and lvl 4 starting points. Level 3 to get your subclass. Level 4 is probably so people get that first ASI.
Related: When starting at higher than first, how do people handle gold/equipment. The last few games I've made characters for, the gold/equip was straight first level stuff, but the GMs let players start with magic items.
So how do you start?

I tend to start with a few levels under the characters' belts, so that they have a few more options to work with from the get go. That said, I've started different campaigns at very different levels, depending on the needs of the campaign.

JonBeowulf
2022-10-15, 11:04 AM
Level 1 if the players really want to do that or if there are two or more players that are new to the game. Sometimes my players want to try something new and they want to watch it build to see if it's going as they thought it would. With new players, I've found that they often need time to get familiar with the concepts before they have to juggle subclass abilities or spell lists.

Level 4 if it's experienced players or even higher if the campaign calls for it.

Eldariel
2022-10-15, 11:10 AM
Level 1 under special circumstances (one-shots, tutorial-style games, gritty games, etc.); level 3 as the standard for new players; whatever we feel like playing for experienced players (something between 5-20 usually though we do the E6-run of capping out on level 6 occasionally).

stoutstien
2022-10-15, 11:25 AM
Modified lv 1 most of the time.

I scale starting HP up and reduce the amount gained for the first 5 lvs or so.

Amnestic
2022-10-15, 11:27 AM
3 is usually my minimum so that everyone's a little less crit-murdered and has their subclass. 5 is the comfort zone at the moment but I've been eyeing a few 11+ campaign ideas lately.

The DMG has some stuff related to starting at a higher level so I usually just go off of that.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-10-15, 11:28 AM
We tend to start at minimum at least level 2, no higher than 5.

Level 1 isn't really exciting unless "trial by fire, only the lucky survive" is the goal here. The best part of level 1 is how lethal it can be, you're still pretty much a normal guy at that point and one stray crit ends your adventuring career.

KillingTime
2022-10-15, 11:28 AM
Our table usually likes to go from level 1.
BUT
Level 1 pretty much never lasts longer than 1 session. Enough time to introduce the characters and introduce the campaign.
Likewise level 2 rarely lasts longer than 2 or 3 more sessions. A couple of scraps, a bit of investigation, the first couple of significant plot hooks.
By the time anything seriously stinky hits the fan the PCs should be at level 3. They'll have the first of any subclasses or significant class features, and enough HP that a stray crit won't one-shot them.

animorte
2022-10-15, 11:31 AM
I honestly prefer starting at level 1. It feels like just having a little bit more time to develop who your PC is and how they interact with the party. Higher levels mean more skills/features/abilities/spells that can be easy to get caught up in as a priority. Of course, this is generally less of a concern the more experienced and decisive a player is.

There is also the concern of subclasses and their features dropping in at different levels. Those PCs still waiting on level 3 can feel outclassed outclassed for a bit. Your subclass also helps to form the identity of your character in a way.

I also enjoy starting at higher levels for certain one-shots (or short adventures). Sometimes we just have some cool ideas we want to try out and builds to test. Running combat simulation is one thing, but discovering that PC’s ability to interact with the world is always fun.

We have run higher level characters for something and then decided, “hey I want to tell that character’s story from a much lower level, perhaps in a campaign.” Those are unique concepts of knowing where you’ll end up, but experiencing the adventure along the way. Unfortunately this idea gets a little wonky if you die well before reaching that level you were already planned for.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-15, 12:04 PM
Lots have started at 1.
A few started at 2.
A few have started at 3.

One shots are of course all over the map, level wise.

Tanarii
2022-10-15, 12:15 PM
BUT
Level 1 pretty much never lasts longer than 1 session. Enough time to introduce the characters and introduce the campaign.
Likewise level 2 rarely lasts longer than 2 or 3 more sessions. A couple of scraps, a bit of investigation, the first couple of significant plot hooks.
By the time anything seriously stinky hits the fan the PCs should be at level 3. They'll have the first of any subclasses or significant class features, and enough HP that a stray crit won't one-shot them.
It only takes 2 adventuring days to hit level 3 and 6 to hit level 5. Given it's easy to fit about 1.5 into a session, I've had players take a new character to level 5 in less than a week. They had to hop between different stores I was running sessions in to do it, but when they really want a specific but new Tier 2 character for a scheduled upcoming weekend session, it's doable.

Dork_Forge
2022-10-15, 12:16 PM
I like 5 or 8, but the lowest is 3 I don't like the first couple of levels.

Keravath
2022-10-15, 12:27 PM
I'll start at level 1 usually but the characters will be level 2 after only one or at most 2 sessions. Leveling through tier 1 will be relatively quick but it may slow down a bit at the higher levels. I use milestones for the most part these days.

I am currently running a campaign which has been going 2 1/2 years which started at level 1 and is currently level 9. I'm also playing in a Rime of the Frost Maiden game that is close to a year and a half. So longer games are out there.

However, there are lots of folks who like to start at either level 3 for archetypes or at level 5 for the bump in capability and options.

Sigreid
2022-10-15, 12:34 PM
Usually 1 because I enjoy forming the characters in those first few levels.

Psyren
2022-10-15, 12:38 PM
When I started DMing this edition I started most games at 1st level, but now I'm comfortable starting at 3 most of the time. Everyone gets their subclass (or they've completed their starting dip, if that's they're going for) and they're excited to hit 4th level - most everyone is happy. Even if you're running a module that starts at lower levels, juicing up those encounters isn't too bad.

Daracaex
2022-10-15, 12:38 PM
I like starting at level 1 because I like the feeling of growth and it usually doesn't take that long to level up anyway.

Sigreid
2022-10-15, 01:39 PM
When I started DMing this edition I started most games at 1st level, but now I'm comfortable starting at 3 most of the time. Everyone gets their subclass (or they've completed their starting dip, if that's they're going for) and they're excited to hit 4th level - most everyone is happy. Even if you're running a module that starts at lower levels, juicing up those encounters isn't too bad.

You don't even have to juice up the encounters tbh. There's nothing wrong with them steamrolling the first few encounters.

PallyBass
2022-10-15, 02:04 PM
I tend to start campaigns at level 1, either because I'm following a WoTC pre-made adventure book or otherwise to help establish the characters as unrecognized noobs striking out for their chance to achieve something noteworthy in my own homemade campaigns. I also start players at level one if I know there are new players in my group unfamiliar with D&D in the group to help them be less overwhelmed by character creation.

I have been considering level 3 as the new starting point for a group of experienced players, so that everyone can play as their specialized character via multiclass/subclass and reduce the chance of the insta-kill moments so prevalent at level 1. I like the sense of mortality the frailty at level 1 gives players, but multiple cheesy deaths (often via poison or a critical hit, not from player stupidity) makes me like it less as the Players at my table tend to put the most thought and love into their first character, and seeing them get offed so quickly the second character is never as well thought out or Rp'ed as well due to the scramble for making a new character, and the desire to remain somewhat detached from their new character to reduce the sting of a potential second death.

PallyBass
2022-10-15, 02:09 PM
So how do you start?

When starting at higher than first level I use the DMG for gold/ magic item allotment to the player characters at creation based on their starting level

Rukelnikov
2022-10-15, 03:13 PM
Level 3 is the norm for new parties in my group, we sometimes do 1, and a few times did higher levels, I don't recall ever starting higher than 9 in 5e.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-10-15, 03:27 PM
My most recent party started at 3. Which, in retrospect, was a mistake because I have two entirely new players who are floundering a bit in learning their abilities.

Generally I'm fine with experienced parties (player-wise) starting at 3, but more and more I feel that new players should start at level 1 (with precautions to avoid the super swinginess inherent there).

Kane0
2022-10-15, 03:47 PM
Typically level 3 nowadays, or 6 if i am specifically aiming for a higher-level campaign.

Edit: any nonmagical gear and a few potions, plus an uncommon magic item for a higher level start. I dont usually let the players choose it though, its almost always a +1 weapon or armor if i do.

Tanarii
2022-10-15, 05:14 PM
Generally I'm fine with experienced parties (player-wise) starting at 3, but more and more I feel that new players should start at level 1 (with precautions to avoid the super swinginess inherent there).
Definitely. Even 5e is very complicated for new to TTRPG players, with six abilities scores affecting different things, modified by proficiency bonus for some things and not for others. And that's before you start adding in class features or spells.

Ogre Mage
2022-10-15, 05:41 PM
3rd level. A few have started at 5th.

CTurbo
2022-10-15, 07:02 PM
I prefer to start at level 3 and my groups almost always do because we like to start when everybody has their subclass.

wuaffiliate
2022-10-15, 07:12 PM
Experienced player groups I will start at 3rd or the first few sessions will be a 1-3 introductory arc that has them level to 3rd in 1-3 sessions.

Tonight is my season zero for a new campaign with players who have never played before starting at 1st. It's easier to learn and get an idea of how the game is played when you start nice and slow.

kazaryu
2022-10-16, 02:28 AM
So how do you start?

the highest level i've started was level 7, but that was a very specific campaign. generally i prefer to start my players off at level 3-5. as far as gold/magic items, it just depends on the campaign/pitch. if we start at level 5, then at the very least i'll generally let them start with whatever mundane gear they want (within reasonable limits. as an example: heavy armor users can have their full plate, and a few weapons... but like...noone is starting off with 30 bags of caltrops, ya know. its not common that i hand out magic items straight from the get-go.

as a players i've started off at a variety of levels. one group i played with for a while, we started at level 3 but due to shifting schedules the game fizzled out around lvl 7 (specifically one member of the group had to leave) so when we started a new campaign, we started at a higher level with a few magic items in order to sort of...preserve our progress. we wanted to actually see the higher levels of play, without just...starting there.

Leon
2022-10-16, 03:38 AM
Level 3 has always been a good starting point even before 5e but in 5 it gives everyone there subclass to play with.

kingcheesepants
2022-10-16, 06:30 AM
1 is definitely the most common I've seen but when I run games I prefer to start at 3, still not that strong but everyone has their subclass and a few options. When starting post level 1 I typically give out a common magic item and if higher than tier 1 an uncommon as well.

Zhorn
2022-10-16, 07:19 AM
I start my players at level 1, but mostly because I can count on my campaigns running for a long time.
Jinxing myself here, but I'm yet to have a campaign I'm DMing fizzle out prematurely and tend to have a good +8 month lifespan of weekly scheduled games, ending only with proper story resolutions.
Current campaign is over a year in and going strong :smallbiggrin:

My attitude tends to be I want players to
- Earn what they are playing (XP not milestones)
- Have time to learn their build as it grows in complexity
- Start low and have room to grow without starting with already completed builds

I find it helps encourage player investment/attachment, and they'll not view their character and campaign as expendable as they would if it was an already pre-packaged unit of power that was so easily replaced.

If I ran oneshots I'd be inclined to have a higher starting level, but as all my games (in person and online) turn into long running campaigns, I'll likely be sticking with the level 1 beginnings for a while.

animorte
2022-10-16, 12:37 PM
I start my players at level 1, but mostly because I can count on my campaigns running for a long time.
Jinxing myself here, but I'm yet to have a campaign I'm DMing fizzle out prematurely and tend to have a good +8 month lifespan of weekly scheduled games, ending only with proper story resolutions.
Current campaign is over a year in and going strong :smallbiggrin:

My attitude tends to be I want players to
- Earn what they are playing (XP not milestones)
- Have time to learn their build as it grows in complexity
- Start low and have room to grow without starting with already completed builds

I find it helps encourage player investment/attachment, and they'll not view their character and campaign as expendable as they would if it was an already pre-packaged unit of power that was so easily replaced.

If I ran oneshots I'd be inclined to have a higher starting level, but as all my games (in person and online) turn into long running campaigns, I'll likely be sticking with the level 1 beginnings for a while.

I need this in my life.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-10-16, 04:26 PM
BUT

We usually use published content, and this is pretty much the pattern when you buy the mods, though some newer stuff is starting at 3 for this reason. On reflection, it's pretty pointless, and doesn't really add to realism when a character can easily hit level 3 in a week (or less). It's a shame that the first couple of levels are so swingy that the game is tough to play. I'd like to play a game where characters are relatively mortal for longer, but it's the game we have.

Brutalitops
2022-10-17, 06:03 PM
Level 3.

It lets players develop their backstories more avoid weird stuff like a paladin swearing an oath a ranger getting an animal companion and the artificer building an attack droid at the same time and lets them work that stuff into their backstories.

No judgement for those who start lower, I just find most characters are not really fleshed out till level 3 where they get their iconic subclasses which define what the characters are and I like players to bring a bit of backstory to my games which is harder for level 1 and 2 characters.

MutantDragon
2022-10-17, 06:22 PM
Usually lvl 1, but lvl 3+ certainly makes sense for some things. Plus, starting out at higher levels helps mitigate weirdness of new subclass proficiencies like for, say, a blade singer. Plus folk hero defining events involving standing "alone against a terrible monster" don't have to be completely laughable.

MrStabby
2022-10-17, 06:36 PM
I like level 4.

Some character concepts need a feat. Level 4 gets that.

Some character concepts need something from a subclass and you get that by level 3.

Some characters need a few levels to multiclass.

Taking level 4 gives people the chance to kind of have the character they want to play and and a back story that covers it (and honestly, given the typical backstory I get from players they should probably be about level 9 anyway).

The feeling of character development and getting exciting new abilities is also cool. Starting at level 4 gives the players their big step up in power at level 5 so delivers something nice pretty quickly.

I tend to find levels 5 to 10 to be the most fun levels in the game so I will always try and cover off all of those - I am less inclined to skip them unless I have a particular idea in mind for a higher level campaign.