PDA

View Full Version : Metalic Kobolds?

Tarinth
2007-11-30, 03:01 PM
Ok, my group is planning to run Return To The Temple OF Elemental Evil, but some of the PC's are having problems with me playing a dragonwrought kobold and insist that I should play a metalic kobold. What do you all think about the very idea of a Metalic Kobold?

Fixer
2007-11-30, 03:09 PM
For flavor? I see nothing wrong with it.

For explanation? Is this a good-aligned race of kobolds that would generate metallic kobolds? Maybe your race's blood is mixed with the ancient progenitors of dragons and it just so happened that the metallic blood came out in your character.

Sounds like it could be fun to play.

Tarinth
2007-11-30, 03:24 PM
Well, it's just that there are contrary creation myths between the dragon magazine that goes with Kurtulmat and the Races of Dragon which goes with Io. It just feels like kobold ought to be born of evil dragons even if they choose to live a good life. I don't know, doesn't this seem strange to anybody else, or am I being strange? After all, 3rd edition kobold were strange enough for me, but now having metalic ones is over the top.

Fixer
2007-11-30, 03:31 PM
Eh, play the freaky kobold. Worst that happens is he dies. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2007-11-30, 03:33 PM
How about you've rejected your kind and now keep your scales covered with a special ointment that gives them a metallic gleam? Not so much to trick people into believing you're descended from a metallic dragon as to symbolize how you feel more kinship with metallic dragons than with chromatic

It's no different from, say, a rebellious human painting his face to look like a vampire.

RE: Kobold kreation myths:

The world's creation myth is whatever the DM says it is. If he believes that there's a race of good-aligned metallic kobolds descended from metallic dragons, you can play a metallic kobold.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-30, 03:35 PM
I don't think there is any reason to have a problem with it.

One thing I will say is that if YOU don't like the idea, don't play it. You aren't going to be vastly over or underpowered with the difference so tell the other players to stuff it and play the chracter you like. Why are they insisting on this anyway?

cupkeyk
2007-11-30, 03:56 PM
Actually, in RoD, as such Greyhawk, dragonwrought kobolds are born randomly from kobold parents and do not have to be chromatic. Kobolds were supposed to have sprung from the first dragons cutting off an arm to make spouses. All of them did this, not just the chromatic ones. It just so happens their leader, Kurtalmak, was born of the green dragon's blood.

Oh in the FR universe, kobolds were made by Kurtalmak. Kurtalmak was the member of Tiamat and Bahamut's brood, and himself a true dragon. After a battle, Tiamat was severely injured and all her eggs were buried under rubble from a cave in. She found an egg and prematurely hatched it and matured it with her magic, gave the child instructions to dig for her other eggs before collapsing in exhaustion. As a son of both the original Chromatic Dragon and the Platinum Dragon, it would make sense that Kurtalmak's progeny would inherent his dual nature.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-30, 06:19 PM
Oh in the FR universe, kobolds were made by Kurtalmak. Kurtalmak was the member of Tiamat and Bahamut's brood, and himself a true dragon.
Hm.

So this is noted in an official Forgotten Realms source?

That's the origin listed in Dragon magazine. Which is kind of wierd, since it wasn't a Forgotten Realms article, but a generic "Ecology" article.

And that particular telling doesn't mention Bahamut's involvement. Just Tiamat's.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-30, 06:29 PM
Why are they insisting on this anyway?

The issue was that I was going to play a Dragonborn Cleric of Bahamut(I have since abandoned it in favor of a dwarven cleric of Zagyg).

One of the key tenants of being Dragonborn is that you have to slay Tiamat-spawn, of which all Chromatics are.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-30, 06:32 PM
Perhaps I'm not getting it... but I still don't see the issue there...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-30, 06:47 PM
Perhaps I'm not getting it... but I still don't see the issue there...
It was really a guilt by association kind of thing.

Chromatic Dragons <-> Evil Dragons <-> Kobold with strong ties to Evil Dragons

Certain players were uncertain as to whether the two characters (a representative of good dragons who felt obligated to slay chromatic dragons and a kobold proud of his connection to an evil (though non-chromatic) dragon) would be compatible teammates.

It was an attempt to relieve a potential excess of intraparty tension.

Nermy
2007-11-30, 07:06 PM
If you do choose to play a kobold, make sure you convince your DM to let you use the extra racial features from the WotC website:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-30, 07:09 PM
If you do choose to play a kobold, make sure you convince your DM to let you use the extra racial features from the WotC website:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a
Granted a long time ago. :smallbiggrin:

Tarinth
2007-12-02, 08:26 PM
Well, thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I'm just too used to second ed. Really, Kobolds are completely different now, and almost don't deserve the name kobold except for their love of traps. I guess it's just unfortunate that my choice caused so much pointless conflict, but personally, I don't want to play a metalic kobold even though I see why a metalic one is possible. Anywho, the intraparty conflict has been solved, so the racial tension has subsided.