PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Druid 8 Wildshape Core-Only Forms

Thurbane
2022-10-19, 06:00 PM
So, my wife is playing a forest Gnome Druid, about to hit level 8.

She is a bit new to D&D, and this is her first Druid.

She is about to hit a level where she can assume large animal forms.

The DM is only allowing core-only at this point, and is pretty strict about enforcing that she can only assume the forms of animals she is familiar with (i.e. dinosaurs etc. will be tricky).

All general advice welcome - Druids aren't my strong suit, as I've never played one in 3E.

Cheers - T

schreier
2022-10-19, 06:43 PM
Here's a great resource:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pooxPkI-orXC8MaSH7pzJ7D44oOQYwz4JIS6nseML38/edit#

Goes through by level and source (MMII and MMIII good?)

Thurbane
2022-10-19, 06:56 PM
Thanks.

Goes through by level and source (MMII and MMIII good?)

No, core only- so MM1.

schreier
2022-10-19, 07:06 PM
He definitely allows for that ... looks like bears (black/brown/polar), eagle, porpoise, leopard, shark, dire bat/lion/wolf

Dire badger gives you burrow with the ability to leave a tunnel behind (which can be really useful), but you need to confirm the interpretation of the Rage special attack. RAW, if you're hit once, you and the hitter are locked in a battle to the death and you can't leave (seems crazy to me, and I would not follow it were I DM, but you still want to be sure)

Particle_Man
2022-10-19, 09:53 PM
Giant Octopus is large.

Horse is a good one for a spy if you are "left by your rider" somewhere that you can overhear a conversation. Hide in plain sight, as it were. You would be surprised how many secret plots are planned in stables. :smallsmile:

Does the player have a favourite medium animal to wild shape into? Would the DM allow the player to become a large version of the same animal if that animal's stat block allows for that in the Advancement line (a large Wolf, perhaps, for a better trip attack)?

Ramza00
2022-10-19, 10:16 PM
Ape and Dire Ape if you want to be bipedal and use all the same items except weapon and armor.

Troacctid
2022-10-19, 10:41 PM
Would the DM allow the player to become a large version of the same animal if that animal's stat block allows for that in the Advancement line (a large Wolf, perhaps, for a better trip attack)?
This is generally not allowed under the wild shape rules. You can only become a normal creature of that type—no special alterations to the statblock.

Soranar
2022-10-20, 07:25 AM
for combat I prefer the rhinoceros over most forms at that level

2d6+12 damage on a normal hit, 4d6+24 on a charge. Vs creatures with high DR having 1 big attack is much better than several weak ones and +13 to hit is hard to miss with. And if you need to you can grapple pretty well (+18) though a polar bear has improved grab

as for utility forms

dire bat for flying, dire ape for climbing, dire badger for digging,

Jack_Simth
2022-10-20, 07:29 AM
Combat: Dire Lion. Lots of attacks, good Strength, and Pounce with Rake. Also improved grab, if you want to grapple.

Particle_Man
2022-10-20, 11:37 AM
Oh and dire wolf for tripping!

Assuming that the druid encounters dire animals of course. Depends on the setting.

Jack_Simth
2022-10-20, 08:16 PM
Oh, right. Familiarity....

A vanilla Lion (pounce and lots of attacks) is on Summon Nature's Ally (SNA) III (as is the Dire Wolf for trip, and a Large snake for Swim and Climb), a Tiger on SNA IV. Dire Bat (Flight, Blindsense) and Dire Badger (burrow) are on SNA II. All would be easily encountered by a Druid-7, as you can spontaneously summon them. So at 8th when you get Large Wild Shape? No problem.