PDA

View Full Version : treefrog animal companion

techpriest35
2022-10-21, 12:08 AM
so i just ran the sunless citadel and the BBEG has an animal companion of a dire tree frog
which book gives a druid access to a dire tree frog
also which book has stats for a dire tree frog
im thinking of making that the animal companion for my next druid but i can't find any of the feats or alternate class features that allow for tree frogs

Inevitability
2022-10-21, 03:59 AM
Sunless Citadel is 3.0: animal companions worked very differently back then. Even if you can get your hands on the statblock of a giant tree frog (a quick search turned up nothing), it wouldn't automatically be a valid companion for a 3.5 druid.

Thurbane
2022-10-21, 04:32 AM
No official stats I know of, apart from what appears in the module.

It looks a bit weaker than a wolf, so allowing it as a 1st level companion wouldn't be unbalanced.

Palanan
2022-10-21, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by techpriest35
...animal companion of a dire tree frog....

That’s an odd creature there. Seems like it has way too many hit points.

Also, it only has a +2 Dex mod, but an AC of 14. Where’s the extra +2 AC coming from? A quick look at the 3.0 druid doesn’t show any scaling bonuses to animal companion AC.

Inevitability
2022-10-22, 02:29 AM
Also, it only has a +2 Dex mod, but an AC of 14. Where’s the extra +2 AC coming from? A quick look at the 3.0 druid doesn’t show any scaling bonuses to animal companion AC.

+1 from size at least, the last +1 can be natural armor?

Palanan
2022-10-22, 07:36 PM
I can see the +1 from Small size, but natural armor on a treefrog doesn't seem to fit.

It's not broken down in the statblock, so not sure what they were thinking. Pretty sure they also miscalculated the hit points, unless 3.0 did that differently as well.