PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Class features are paid in HD. What breaks?

WrittenInBlood
2022-10-21, 02:33 PM
Why low-level fighter can't Action Surge twice before short rest? Guess he's too tired after first one. But he's still good enough for one Second Wind. Is AS'ing more tiring than SW'ing? Apparently. So, if this particular fighter didn't used AS yet, should he be able to SW twice? If no, why?

I have a growing itch with disassociated character resources in 5e. They generally don't represent anything specific in the game world, and feel much like buttons in CRPG. Lack of interchangeability between them also undermines their intended "resource management" factor, making it barely "resource preservation until a right time". I think they should share a common resource pool, that increases with level, "resource management" game gets next dimension with this, player now decides not just if to use them or not, but if to use one instead of another, and when. And the characters already have a nice pool of power-stamina-whatever "points", with simple recharge rules and nice progression along the level-ups. You know where I go with it.

The idea in the broad strokes is simple. Any limited resource use (let's skip specifics, and spellcasting, for now) is now paid with HD and limited solely by their number. Most of resources recharging at long rest have a few uses, while those recharged on short rest - mostly one, also giving about a few per long rest. Keeping to the Player's Handbook, most classes have two kinds of resources, tops. Also, to not force the hard choice between iconic class moves and HP regeneration at early levels, characters will start with three HD instead of one. I'm probably also gonna change HD regain to some limited possibility at short rests, something with travelling supplies and camping conditions.

OK, what results are to be expected? I see some positives.
Players can squeeze more from even "15-minute workday". Barbarian already raged three times? He can push a little more, he's not gonna need that much HD-healing later anyway.
Depleted HD give more serious feel of character wear&tear. That primadonna Fighter that has to go to bed after every Action Surge, while still at full HP, is no more.
Crunchier resource management. Should a Cleric turns those zombies now, or negate that incoming strike with his Channel Divinity (somehow)? Will he still have some HD to regenerate? Is it worth sparing some more spell slots to heal the party afterwards? Choices abound!
Down with 6-8 encounters a day regime. Combined resources deplete faster, no more attrition-filler-Medium-fights are needed.
Only one kind of rest. Long rest and downtime are now just chained short rests, regenerating everything in full.

What are downsides I did not think of?

MrStabby
2022-10-22, 04:44 AM
I tried something similar... well kind of. It was a bunch of homebrew classes using HD as a resource but you might hit the same problem.

That is healing.

HD for healing takes pressure off classes that cast healing spells and let them use their spells for more fun activities or let them use their healing spells when it brings up downed combatants.

I found that alternative used for HD had the unfortunate effect of pushing clerics and druids more and more into a healing niche they didn't enjoy. The more prayers of healing the clerics cast, the fewer spiritual weapons they could use.

Now the second point is easier for a careful DM to counter, but worth raising. And that is the more pronounced doom spirals. Parties that can pull down extra resources are.more powerful, which means tougher encounters to challenge them... but one fight tougher than expected can then need more resources and leve a party depleted going into the next encounter - being low on HP and other resources. This is a smaller issue.

Old Harry MTX
2022-10-22, 01:47 PM
I once created a subclass (for a homebrew base class) that uses HD to fuel a sort of spell maneuvers (basically, similar to metamagic options that use the result of the rolled die), but i also introduced a way to recover HD at the end of a rest performing a ritual on the corpses of the fallen enemies.