PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Intro to E6

RNightstalker
2022-10-21, 05:26 PM
So playground, I should be joining my first E6 campaign here soon and I was wondering: what actually is E6?

Maat Mons
2022-10-21, 05:45 PM
For the first 6 levels, it’s the same as a normal game. The difference is, when you get enough xp to advance to 7th level… you don’t. You never go past 6th level. You do get some bonus feats though.

Zombulian
2022-10-21, 06:02 PM
So playground, I should be joining my first E6 campaign here soon and I was wondering: what actually is E6?

E stands for Epic. So unlike in base rules where you hit regular level cap of 20 and can choose to progress into epic, in e6 the level cap is 6. Once you’ve hit cap, every 5000xp you gain grants you a feat. What this does in theory (and in the experience of many) is allows for characters to gain build-defining abilities and scale in power, but stay in a fairly gritty level range where you don’t need to be fighting gods to feel challenged.

RNightstalker
2022-10-21, 06:45 PM
Is there a list of bonus feats/abilities out there?

johnbragg
2022-10-21, 07:06 PM
Is there a list of bonus feats/abilities out there?

https://esix.pbworks.com/f/E6v041.pdf
Is one of the original PDFs. There's a list of necessary feats to make E6 work at the top.

Are you guys starting at level 6, or level 6 + X Feats, or at lower levels?

H_H_F_F
2022-10-21, 07:18 PM

Just read that for the rules.

If you're asking what is E6 more fundamentally - well, the same PDF also has some answers for that, but at the end of the day it's about creating a lower-fantasy feel. 6 is just about when you character becomes a classic fantasy hero, and just before it starts getting silly. Your barbarian will be able to wrestle a bear and win, or kill 10 bandits all by themselves. Your wizard will shoot fire and lightning, and fly. And yet, you won't be toppling kingdoms because you're bored, and any dragon who isn't a baby is a real threat and a huge deal.

It's also just a level range most DMs and players are more capable of running effectively.

If you're looking for the sort of fun that can be had with 6 levels but plenty of feats, check out the E6 optimization competition, ran by Zaq.

RNightstalker
2022-10-21, 11:35 PM
Is one of the original PDFs. There's a list of necessary feats to make E6 work at the top.

Are you guys starting at level 6, or level 6 + X Feats, or at lower levels?

Starting at one to the best of my knowledge.

Mechalich
2022-10-21, 11:55 PM
One thing about E6 is that depending on how it is run the number of types of magic items available may be wildly different. Many magic items have a caster level requirement above 6th and may not exist in the setting at all or be super-rare legendary artifacts. This means that builds contingent upon certain items, even fairly low-priced ones, may not be viable. Talk to you DM about how they intend to handle magic items, and the possibility of ritual magic, in the campaign.