PDA

View Full Version : Ragnarok post apocalypse settings

petermcleod117
2022-10-24, 03:13 PM
Hello!
There are a whole bunch of D20 settings which occur either during or after a major apocalypse (Gamma World, Redline, Damnation Decade, Rapture, The End, and Elder Evils). From my observation, the most are either nuclear apocalypses or biblical apocalypses of some sort or another. Out of curiosity, do you guys know of any apocalypse setting which occurs during ragnarok?
Thanks.

BlueWitch
2022-10-25, 12:46 AM
The only Ragnarok I know about would be the Norse one where the Gods are supposed to go extinct.

If that were to happen in the DnD world, I would imagine a lot of Clerics would lose their powers. Lots of Divine Spellcasters too.

An All-Powerful Wizard or other powerful mortals would then probably just decide to find a means of ascension.

But Outsiders are a thing too. Angels and Demons, etc.

It might just allow them to ascend (thus become New Gods) or make mortals more self-sufficient.

All and all, I can't see it being a big world change tbh, other than the initial shock for the first few years.
Clerics and Divine casters would just have to find new work and new means of casting. Maybe switch over to Arcane.

Thurbane
2022-10-25, 01:11 AM
Not exactly post-Ragnarok, but the Midnight campaign setting kind of has this feel.

A Dark God has subjugated the land and banished the other gods.

Bohandas
2022-10-25, 01:35 AM
Not exactly post-Ragnarok, but the Midnight campaign setting kind of has this feel.

There was also an era in Dragonlance sort of like that. Where the world had been snatched away by Takhisis (Tiamat) and the other gods were unable to find it for many many years.

petermcleod117
2022-10-25, 03:45 AM
If that were to happen in the DnD world, I would imagine a lot of Clerics would lose their powers. Lots of Divine Spellcasters too.

An All-Powerful Wizard or other powerful mortals would then probably just decide to find a means of ascension.

so, dark sun basically

petermcleod117
2022-10-25, 03:48 AM
There was also an era in Dragonlance sort of like that. Where the world had been snatched away by Takhisis (Tiamat) and the other gods were unable to find it for many many years.

dragonlance also had that alternate timeline in where Raistlin killed all the gods in Legends of the Twins.

petermcleod117
2022-10-25, 03:53 AM

yeah, midnight does kinda have a slow-burn apocalypse feel to it, doesn't it?

Pirate ninja
2022-10-26, 02:18 AM
Modly Roger:

Please ensure that any discussion is limited to fictional settings. Any discussion that spill over into real world religion is very likely to be scrubbed.

Mars Ultor
2022-10-26, 10:54 PM
The only Ragnarok I know about would be the Norse one where the Gods are supposed to go extinct.

Some of the "main" gods are specifically mentioned as being killed, Odin, Thor, and Tyr, but their children take over. Odin's sons Víðarr and Váli will live in the temples of the gods, joined by Thor's sons Móði and Magni, who inherit their father's hammer, Mjolnir. Sól's daughter, who is not named, will become the new sun. Höðr, who's blind, and the accidental killer of Baldr, is still around. Baldr returns from Hel. It's not clear if other gods survive, only the fate of a few are mentioned.

Two humans, Líf (a woman whose name means "life"), and Lífþrasir (a man whose name means "lover of life") hide during Ragnarok and emerge after the battle to repopulate the world.

Bohandas
2022-10-27, 01:55 AM

There's also the doomsday asteroid from that one movie by the guys from GWAR, but I dobt that that's what the OP is talking about