PDA

View Full Version : Twinned Spell and Healing Word?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-10-24, 03:24 PM
Any reason this combo will not work if say you have a Sorcerer who picked up Healing Word via Magic Initiate?

Twinned
When you Cast a Spell that Targets only one creature and doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

To be eligible, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level. For example, Magic Missile and Scorching Ray aren’t eligible, but Ray of Frost is.

Healing Word
1st-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-24, 03:28 PM
Pretty sure it works, and the Divine Soul sorcerer can put it to work starting at level 3.

PhantomSoul
2022-10-24, 03:41 PM
Pretty sure it works, and the Divine Soul sorcerer can put it to work starting at level 3.

And it also works if using Metamagic Adept on another Class! (But not before Level 3 unless the DM is ok with a Variant Human taking the Feat despite getting the prerequisite post-Racially or with [censored] custom lineage [censored] existing and taking the Feat.)

sithlordnergal
2022-10-24, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it works just fine with Twin Spell. Its mostly good if you have two people downed at the same time.

Verble
2022-10-25, 11:07 AM
If you have the Aid spell you can already target 3 people inherently without needing to spend sorcery points which would allow you to pickup or buff 3 people and use quicken(if you have if it) to cast a cantrip or take an action(depending how you use quicken)

Aid can also be very nice with Extended Spell like Death Ward and a few other cleric spells because you can cast them just before a long rest and by RAW they'll last into the next day.

Edit: Oh but I'm thinking of Divine Soul Sorcerer who can freely pick from both Cleric and Sorcerer spells. It's a good subclass if you want to go that direction and save your feats for ASI's and Sorcery Points/Metamagic Adept.

Ehcks
2022-10-25, 01:05 PM
If you have the Aid spell you can already target 3 people inherently without needing to spend sorcery points which would allow you to pickup or buff 3 people and use quicken(if you have if it) to cast a cantrip or take an action(depending how you use quicken)

Yeah, with Aid as a second level spell and Mass Healing Word as a third level spell, Twinned Healing Word just isn't thought of as very important. It works fine, but you don't really need it.

Pex
2022-10-25, 05:25 PM
Yeah, with Aid as a second level spell and Mass Healing Word as a third level spell, Twinned Healing Word just isn't thought of as very important. It works fine, but you don't really need it.

For a Divine Soul sorcerer with limited spells known it matters not to have redundant spells. It costs 1 point to twin Healing Word. One point and a 1st level spell slot is worth keeping a 2nd level or 3rd level spell slot for something else.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-10-25, 07:48 PM
I am in a Players Handbook only campaign so my options are a bit more limited. My theory is Healing Word is going to be the most important spell in the game.

- we're level 1
- I prefer to have some control over how the healing (and counterspell) are managed.
- starting at level 1 this extra spell slot from Magic Iniatiate is going to be important.
-We are playing with some form of nerfed long rest hit point recovery.
-Having 2 players down is a thing. So while I don't plan on Twinning it constantly, I have been in encounters where I had to pick who to heal.

animorte
2022-10-25, 08:32 PM
So you’re all level 1, but planning for meta-magic that you don’t get until level 3?

Having healing word is very good. I would also make it a point to focus on some control spells to try and prevent as much damage as possible.

It’s a shame you’re only in the PHB. It has plenty of good subclasses but the Sorcerer gets short-changed. You might benefit from multi-classing into Paladin (or Bard), if you’re expected to provide more support. Either way, the meta-magic and sorcery points are always going to be valuable.

Also, what does the rest of your party consist of? What other classes are being played so that we have a better idea of how you can fill out your role more effectively?

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-10-25, 10:31 PM
So you’re all level 1, but planning for meta-magic that you don’t get until level 3?

Having healing word is very good. I would also make it a point to focus on some control spells to try and prevent as much damage as possible.

It’s a shame you’re only in the PHB. It has plenty of good subclasses but the Sorcerer gets short-changed. You might benefit from multi-classing into Paladin (or Bard), if you’re expected to provide more support. Either way, the meta-magic and sorcery points are always going to be valuable.

Also, what does the rest of your party consist of? What other classes are being played so that we have a better idea of how you can fill out your role more effectively?

Hopefully I make it to level 3!

Playing a Bard in the past I felt limited by the number of spells I could trade out per level so I like planning ahead for some classes.

The rest of the party:
Monk
Bard (busiest and most likely to miss a session)
Land Druid
Fighter
Ranger

If everything were available to me I'd go heaving into draconic lightning damage. As it is I just might describe Fireball as looking like lightning lol.

I have played with the group extensively and once was a Lore Bard with the party's only healing until a Ranger grabbed Cure Wounds.

Assuming my character lives long enough Counterspell and Greater Invisibility are on the list. Fireball and Chromatic Orb. Drat no Synaptic Static or Chaos Bolt.

For Metamagic I am thinking Subtle Spell and Twinned. Subtle Spell because the DM says Magic is a bit frowned upon. Twin, so I can do it right when its time to cut loose in public!

animorte
2022-10-25, 11:45 PM
I absolutely agree with your two meta-magic choices.

Your team has reliable sources of single target damage. So it looks like you are the primary source of AoE blasting and you’re trying to have reliable enough support options.

A few helpful control spells (all 1st-level): color spray, fog cloud, grease, sleep
These can provide you and your allies a reliable upper hand in combat. I think your role is basically battlefield control (thus preventing more damage than you could ever heal) and dropping a big fireball when you’re outnumbered. Otherwise, they should have the damage taken care of.

Though you do have a Druid that (I expect) will be able to do some healing when necessary. Ranger will also get a little bit too.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-26, 09:21 AM
And it also works if using Metamagic Adept on another Class! I don't allow that feat, it's one of my massive dislikes about Tasha's Optional Material. :smallfurious: But for those who use it, yes.

I am in a Players Handbook only campaign so my options are a bit more limited. My theory is Healing Word is going to be the most important spell in the game.

- we're level 1
- I prefer to have some control over how the healing (and counterspell) are managed.
- starting at level 1 this extra spell slot from Magic Initiate is going to be important.
- We are playing with some form of nerfed long rest hit point recovery.
- Having 2 players down is a thing. So while I don't plan on Twinning it constantly, I have been in encounters where I had to pick who to heal. Oops, my divine soul suggestion idea is scuttled. Looks like you have a sound plan.

If you are having long rest HP recovery issues due to a variant rule, suggest your party prioritize buying, trading for, and maybe making healing potions. Any you find will be more valuable than they already are.

If your campaign lasts to level 10, suggest Heightened spell.

EDIT:
Aha, edited out my bard idea, as you've played one. Edited out life cleric idea.
Land Druid will help with healing too, I am sure they will.

For later levels: slow is a very good debuff/crowd control.
I second the suggestion on fog cloud.

PhantomSoul
2022-10-26, 10:06 AM
I don't allow that feat, it's one of my massive dislikes about Tasha's Optional Material. :smallfurious: But for those who use it, yes.

I've repeatedly found that ignoring Tasha's alleged existence (and likewise for subsequent material) tends to improve the game. Homebrew and house rules were already a thing and they seemed to be better to begin with! (Obviously I'm not playing AL.)

sithlordnergal
2022-10-26, 10:45 AM
I don't allow that feat, it's one of my massive dislikes about Tasha's Optional Material. :smallfurious: But for those who use it, yes.

Interesting...its one of the biggest things I like about Tasha's. That with Fey and Shadow Touched really help give Sorcerers a small boost. Sure, other classes can snag Metamagic Adept, but its only two Sorcery Points per Long Rest. So its not like those classes are actually treading on the Sorcerer's niche by having it. And by making it a feat instead of a subclass ability, it can be applied to all previous subclasses.

KorvinStarmast
2022-10-26, 10:50 AM
Interesting...its one of the biggest things I like about Tasha's. That with Fey and Shadow Touched really help give Sorcerers a small boost. Sure, other classes can snag Metamagic Adept, but its only two Sorcery Points per Long Rest. So its not like those classes are actually treading on the Sorcerer's niche by having it. And by making it a feat instead of a subclass ability, it can be applied to all previous subclasses. 1. I do not want other classes getting meta magic. That's sorcerers only. Likewise with the 'get a warlock invocation' feat. No. Bad idea.

I like Fey Touched, Shadow Touched the Telekinetic, though.

2. I can see where at level 1 with a feat (vHuman/Custom lineage) it's a boost for sorcerers.

3. At my table, when I DM, Sorcerers get another MM at level 7 Because They Should Have In The First Place. :smallfurious: (Sorry, that's a personal pet peeve, others don't worry about it). I also give every other sorc origin a single Origin Spell (we have many posts on that topic on this forum) like a domain spell, in slight imitation of Tasha's two sorc classes overcorrection in that regard.