PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Gish/Martial build

poopyloop
2022-10-25, 02:16 AM
Hello!

I was thinking about building a new character for a campaign and kind of ran into a speed bump. Was looking at some build ideas in a few threads and came across the idea of a swords bard with 3 levels of battle master fighter. I'm liking the idea a lot, having 9 "maneuver" dice every short rest sounds fun and I'd have a lot of options in combat. This is exactly what I want in a martial or a gish, spamming attacks just for damage gets pretty boring and with some magic thrown in I think it could feel pretty fresh I hope.

However, I'm stuck on what exactly to do with my other options. Mainly equipment choices, stat spreads, and feats. Looking for ideas on how you guys would play this sort of character. Sword and board? Dual wield? Glaive or quarterstaff with polearm master? I am sort of looking to pick up shield from somewhere to help my staying power.

I am also open to other ideas in this similar vein. Mainly I'm looking for something with a lot of options available in combat where I can make interesting choices each turn, so if you have another fun build that might fit the bill I'd love to hear it.

Character will start at lv 8 and I get a free starting feat at lv 1

Unoriginal
2022-10-25, 06:27 AM
Hello!

I was thinking about building a new character for a campaign and kind of ran into a speed bump. Was looking at some build ideas in a few threads and came across the idea of a swords bard with 3 levels of battle master fighter. I'm liking the idea a lot, having 9 "maneuver" dice every short rest sounds fun and I'd have a lot of options in combat. This is exactly what I want in a martial or a gish, spamming attacks just for damage gets pretty boring and with some magic thrown in I think it could feel pretty fresh I hope.

However, I'm stuck on what exactly to do with my other options. Mainly equipment choices, stat spreads, and feats. Looking for ideas on how you guys would play this sort of character. Sword and board? Dual wield? Glaive or quarterstaff with polearm master? I am sort of looking to pick up shield from somewhere to help my staying power.

I am also open to other ideas in this similar vein. Mainly I'm looking for something with a lot of options available in combat where I can make interesting choices each turn, so if you have another fun build that might fit the bill I'd love to hear it.

Martial Adept would let you get two maneuvres and one superiority die (though a d6) at lvl 1. Fighting Initiate (Superior Technique) gets you one additional maneuvre and die.

For the rest, keep in mind that you can't Sword Bard efficiently with all weapon setup. Also keep in mind you won't have much ASIs to spend if you need two classes with minimum 3 levels of investment each, and you won't get Extra Attack until very late (less of a problem when you start at lvl 8, but you still won't get your extra attack until lvl 9 assuming you go Bard6/Fig3).

If you're set on multiclassing, I would consider using a whip as a side weapon once the PC has the proficiency, to add some reach to the special technique.

I think you would probably have an easier time playing a Sword Bard with Martial Adept and Fighting Initiate, though.

Gignere
2022-10-25, 06:45 AM
Martial Adept would let you get two maneuvres and one superiority die (though a d6) at lvl 1. Fighting Initiate (Superior Technique) gets you one additional maneuvre and die.

For the rest, keep in mind that you can't Sword Bard efficiently with all weapon setup. Also keep in mind you won't have much ASIs to spend if you need two classes with minimum 3 levels of investment each, and you won't get Extra Attack until very late (less of a problem when you start at lvl 8, but you still won't get your extra attack until lvl 9 assuming you go Bard6/Fig3).

If you're set on multiclassing, I would consider using a whip as a side weapon once the PC has the proficiency, to add some reach to the special technique.

I think you would probably have an easier time playing a Sword Bard with Martial Adept and Fighting Initiate, though.

He needs a minimum of 5 levels in bard to get the short rest BI dice. So it’s probably best for him to pick up extra attack from Bard 6.

My recommendation if you are dead set on this concept start as 6 Bard / 2 Fighter and pick up the fighting style with BM dice / manuevers from 1 Fighter. Then at level 9 you can get another 4 BM dice and a bunch more maneuvers.

Unoriginal
2022-10-25, 07:07 AM
He needs a minimum of 5 levels in bard to get the short rest BI dice. So it’s probably best for him to pick up extra attack from Bard 6.

My recommendation if you are dead set on this concept start as 6 Bard / 2 Fighter and pick up the fighting style with BM dice / manuevers from 1 Fighter. Then at level 9 you can get another 4 BM dice and a bunch more maneuvers.

Pretty good recommendation. If OP spends the free feat for Martial Adept, that would give them 2 attacks, 3 maneuvres and 2 superiority dice at lvl 8, which is solid when taking the Bard powers into account too.

RSP
2022-10-25, 07:39 AM
Personally, I’d forego Martial Adept for Warcaster (if components matter in your campaign).

As a 6/2 you’ll have all your Bard techniques, spells and EA. You’ll have a FS from Fighter (could be a maneuver, but Defensive is good as well, particularly if going Sword and Board. TWF if dual weilding is your thing).

Then at level up, you get all the BM maneuvers you want.

Just how I’d do it though.

poopyloop
2022-10-25, 02:42 PM

I'm not a fan of martial adept or the fighting styles as feats, they seem very weak to me. Compared to other feats that will help me on each turn (crusher, slasher, polearm master, etc) or ones that help round out my magic capabilities (war caster, shadow touched, magic initiate) I would prefer to take the dip with all the other goodies fighter gives me. I like the idea of a whip on the side when necessary if I don't go with a polearm. And yeah I did realize I won't get the maneuvers til next level, I'll have to deal with that for a bit unfortunately.

Forgot about the maneuver fighting style. I was pretty set on the defense fighting style to pump up my AC but I suppose that's a consideration. I am not dead set on this concept but I do like the amount of options it has, something like this is what I'd like to play, this is just something that stood out a bit.

Personally, I’d forego Martial Adept for Warcaster (if components matter in your campaign).

As a 6/2 you’ll have all your Bard techniques, spells and EA. You’ll have a FS from Fighter (could be a maneuver, but Defensive is good as well, particularly if going Sword and Board. TWF if dual weilding is your thing).

Then at level up, you get all the BM maneuvers you want.

Just how I’d do it though.

Yes definitely going for extra attack from bard first, lv 9 for battle master. War caster was a strong consideration for my feat, but I was waiting to see if any weapon recommendations/combos were mentioned before deciding for sure. There are a lot of fun weapon feats to enhance my fighting which I would be interested in, depending on my equipment setup which I'm completely undecided about

Damon_Tor
2022-10-25, 06:21 PM

Eh. Just commission a rapier with a flute built into the hilt.

Gignere
2022-10-25, 07:20 PM
Eh. Just commission a rapier with a flute built into the hilt.

I think you need to play it when casting a spell but nothing said you can’t have a drum by your waist or have bells tied to your weapon.

Kane0
2022-10-25, 08:45 PM
Hello!

TWF is going to make your bonus action really busy, i'd say go with a versatile weapon so have a hand free for grappling as necessary. Do you have a proper frontliner so you won't have to tank?

Defensive Duelist is a fun if not optimal feat, but there's also piercer/slasher/crusher, mobility, martial adept, fighting initiate, etc.

poopyloop
2022-10-25, 09:14 PM
TWF is going to make your bonus action really busy, i'd say go with a versatile weapon so have a hand free for grappling as necessary. Do you have a proper frontliner so you won't have to tank?

Defensive Duelist is a fun if not optimal feat, but there's also piercer/slasher/crusher, mobility, martial adept, fighting initiate, etc.

Well I don't really plan on handing out inspiration, mostly plan on using them for flourishes. So I don't think I'll be using my bonus action that much other than for healing word. Reading other threads on other sites is making me lean towards sword and board rapier but a polearm of some sort sounds pretty cool too. We do have a paladin in the party, but we are usually well outnumbered so I'll definitely need to be, at minimum, a backup tank, which I think I can accomplish with this character.
But yes, there are far too many feats that work with what I'm planning and all of them seem either very strong or a lot of fun, I haven't narrowed much down

sambojin
2022-10-26, 10:45 PM
1DnD wise, you probably could go HElf, M.Initiate (Arcane), Ranger X. Up to about lvl5-6 or so, maybe more, then start subbing in MCing.

5x lvl1 spell slots a day (one as detect magic, but ritual it the rest after your freebie, and one changeable each level off the Arcane list from MI, so Shield/ Exp Retreat/ whatever is available), Misty Step +2 more lvl2's off Primal, 5 cantrips (3 arcane (MI+H.elf), +2 Primal), all at level 5.

Two weapon fight or Archer in until your heart's content. It's not really fighty, but it's really good (considering Ranger 5e). It's a lot gishier than I expected from a half caster UA.