PDA

View Full Version : Dracolexi Words

cartejos
2022-10-25, 08:19 AM
Dracolexi is a spontaneous caster prc that loses a CL at 1.

However, at level 4 you could gain the ability to extend 1 spell/round, as long as the spell has a verbal component.

Also, at level 7, your spell slots replenish per encounter via the replenish word.

I don't see much value in Voice in Silence, so I don't see a reason to stick around longer than 7.

Worth the lost cl?

Fero
2022-10-25, 08:28 AM
I believe you can only regain one spell per day through the replenishing word due to the restriction that you can only target a creature (you) with a word once per 24 hours

Beni-Kujaku
2022-10-25, 09:02 AM
Even with only being able to replenish one spell slot, the bonus feat, low requirements and bonus spells known make this one of the better spontaneous PrC in my opinion.
Veschik is still really good as it is, and becomes even better with Heighten spell and Versatile Spellcaster. You could cast a spell Earth-Spell-heightened, then recover the spell slot to cast one of the power words the class gives you as spells known. So you can have the equivalent of two free spell levels and cast Power Word Nauseate with a 4th spell slot (changed into an 5th level spell slot with Heighten/Veschik), or Stun with a 6th level spell slot. That is pretty good to finish off boss monsters that are a bit bruised (the average number of HP of CR 12-15 monsters is quite stable around 200, so they should be vulnerable after a few hits from the fighter). The ability to basically Extend any spell you cast AND heal your whole party 1/day is excellent and synergizes pretty well with Power Word spells who often have a few round duration.

All in all, nicely designed PrC and quite strong, even if you lose a CL.

Troacctid
2022-10-25, 04:26 PM
I don't think there's much reason not to go to level 10. It's full casting, and the Burn ability is really strong both as action economy (swift action to deal 5d6 damage with no save, no attack roll, no spell resistance) and as a free Empower for your fire spells.

Rebel7284
2022-10-25, 09:20 PM
- Since most spontaneous casters are already a level behind, losing another level hurts even more.
- With that said, the class is somewhat nifty presuming extending and empowering target the spell and not the caster (which seems to be the intent)
- Primitive Caster feat allows you to add components and get +1 Caster level in return, so you can add Verbal components to all spells.
- At higher levels, creating an army of Simulacrums of yourself, in addition to being abusable with circle magic, can also recover your highest level spells.

edit: That last part doesn't work since it says "No creature can be targeted by the same Draconic word twice in a 24-hour period." not specifically YOUR word. :smallfrown:

Bonus: Snowcasting + Energy Substitution/Energy Admixture can let you use the Burn word with any spell.

Anthrowhale
2022-10-26, 12:48 PM
You could use an Uncanny Forethought wizard to gain a level of spell advancement relative to a sorcerer entry.

In terms of 'worthwhile', I'd say no in an absolute sense as spell access is so valuable. But, it does seem like a reasonable choice in a party where you can recover the top level spell slot for every party member. Free extend & empower are also solid. Even the +10 to knowledge checks is pretty good for an archivist or with knowledge devotion.

Rebel7284
2022-10-26, 02:41 PM
You could use an Uncanny Forethought wizard to gain a level of spell advancement relative to a sorcerer entry.

In terms of 'worthwhile', I'd say no in an absolute sense as spell access is so valuable. But, it does seem like a reasonable choice in a party where you can recover the top level spell slot for every party member. Free extend & empower are also solid. Even the +10 to knowledge checks is pretty good for an archivist or with knowledge devotion.

Hmm, while Uncanny Forethough wizard would qualify, it would be unable to use the replenish word on itself.

I think the feat tax doesn't help the cost-benefit analysis either. Spell component pouches are cheap and still spell is pretty conditional.

Anthrowhale
2022-10-26, 03:14 PM
Hmm, while Uncanny Forethough wizard would qualify, it would be unable to use the replenish word on itself.
I'm not following this---Uncanny Forethought uses a spell slot, not a prepared spell right?

Either way, the 1/day limit make replenish seem most useful in a party with a Spirit Shaman, a Spontaneous Cleric, a Beguiler, and a Duskblade (for example).

noce
2022-10-27, 03:22 AM
I think the feat tax doesn't help the cost-benefit analysis either. Spell component pouches are cheap and still spell is pretty conditional.

You pick one of the two and get the other free. It's like if you give up the choice of one feat slot to get two predetermined feats in its place.

Neither is useful on a daily basis, but both are handy. Eventually, you will be able to cast spells without somatic and material components and while under a silence effect, quite a perk after all.

I always thought the PrC to be well written, flavourful and a solid pick for everyone not obsessed with the inferiority complex to the wizard.

ciopo
2022-10-27, 08:34 AM
funny thing about still spells : can it be combined with primitive caster to "give back" the somatic component, thus resulting in a +1CL instead?

Rebel7284
2022-10-27, 08:37 AM
funny thing about still spells : can it be combined with primitive caster to "give back" the somatic component, thus resulting in a +1CL instead?

As per the "apply effects in the most beneficial way to the user" guideline, this probably works.