PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Necrotic cyst + searing seed = own personal Warhammer 40k Daemonculaba?

tepes
2022-10-25, 07:02 PM
so my premise is this:

1. necrotic cyst has an Instantaneous duration and causes a permanent physiological change (from libris mortis)

2. searing seed creates a copy of the target with the half fiend template (from dragon magazine #300)

Q. if all of this is correct does this mean the spawn from searing seed also already has a cyst? after all because of the duration rules it is a innate physiological trait possessed by the target creature. are there any rules or reasonable interpretations that thoroughly contradict this thought process?

now that the question part is out of the way (and presuming this works the way I think it does), the idea is to kidnap whatever mid-level or higher NPC's you want and put them in a set up similar to a liquid pain hospital with restoration spell traps, a ring of sustenance, and spell clocks of liquid pain (or liquid joy and nipple clamps if you want to be a bit more humane) and searing seed. then in the round that the fiendish copy is growing just throw a net on them scoop'em up hang them from the ceiling and don't let them down until you successfully cast necrotic tumor on them and voila, an army of obedient daemonic warriors (with class levels!!) of a theoretically infinite number. (sniff sniff... its enough to make Honsou proud!)

thanks in advance for the reply's :smallbiggrin:

redking
2022-10-26, 06:41 AM
I found this great technique here.
(https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21185787&postcount=32)

Am I the only one who is seeing a way to use the spell for Good?

Go to a fast time plane, then repeatedly cast the spell on yourself (with Favor of the Martyr blocking the constitution damage). Position yourself so that the moment your fiendish offspring (band name!) will end up on an endlessly resetting trap of Sanctify the Wicked.

Watch the kid get trapped in a gem eventually. After a year (which is only a round outside the plane) it'll emerge as a good-aligned version of you with a few extra powers. Assuming you can do this once per day (a ridiculously low estimate), you'll be creating 365 copies of yourself per round. Sure, you'll have to endure a familial fiendfight (more band names!) for a few rounds, but that's trivial when you have all your buffs and gear and your offspring has none.

So who'd commit these acts of infernal selfcest? (band names for everyone!) At first glance, the need for both [Vile] and [Sanctified] spells seems like it'd prevent anyone but the most conflicted of neutral characters from using it. However, Complete Scoundrel gave us the following beautiful class feature:

Unrestricted Conjuration: For the purpose only of casting conjuration spells, you can ignore any restrictions that forbid you from casting spells of certain alignments. In addition, regular use of conjuration spells with the evil descriptor does not threaten to change your alignment.

Searing Seed just happens to be a Conjuration spell, so you can be any kind of Good and cast it without problem. I could easily see a CG malconvoker doing this, if only to piss off the forces of evil.

Forget about the fast plane trait because that won't fly at most tables. Using Malconvoker, however, is a great idea. If you can somehow get planar turning (rebuking) (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Planar_Turning), you can rebuke/command the resultant half-fiends, getting the perfect slave.

tepes
2022-10-26, 05:30 PM
I found this great technique here.
(https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=21185787&postcount=32)

Forget about the fast plane trait because that won't fly at most tables. Using Malconvoker, however, is a great idea. If you can somehow get planar turning (rebuking) (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Planar_Turning), you can rebuke/command the resultant half-fiends, getting the perfect slave.

oooh, hadn't thought about malconvocer to use it for good, interesting.

I mostly posted this to try ands get some discussion going about this awesomely flavorful spell that was tucked away in DrM#300, DrM has some of my favorite D&D content honestly and its a real shame that so little discussion on it happens :smallfrown:

redking
2022-10-26, 10:47 PM
oooh, hadn't thought about malconvocer to use it for good, interesting.

I mostly posted this to try ands get some discussion going about this awesomely flavorful spell that was tucked away in DrM#300, DrM has some of my favorite D&D content honestly and its a real shame that so little discussion on it happens :smallfrown:

Some of the Dragon Magazine content is poorly balanced, which makes many people write it off altogether. There is plenty of good stuff in Dragon Magazine. Perhaps someone will come up with a list of Dragon Magazine content that is broadly considered to be acceptable at most tables.