PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help with 'Card Thrower'

MisterD
2022-10-26, 10:50 AM
I got my character le level 10 and seems to be in a good spot
I am looking for where to go from here. Character is being used in Adventurer League.
Question. Does the Gloom Stalker ability only give ONE extra attack if attacking per round or per turn? A Hunter can do +1D8 damage to a hurt target once per turn

https://ddb.ac/characters/80582637/CwwBBi

CTurbo
2022-10-26, 12:06 PM
Gloom Stalker gets one free attack ONLY in the first round of combat.
Hunter's Colossus Slayer gets an extra d8 damager once per turn as long as the target is not at full hp.

Glooms Stalker's ability is much more reliable and will definitely be used every combat.
Colossus Slayer is a still good ability and gets better the more turns you get in combat. You may not always get to use it in the first round of combat like if you only hit with 1 out of 2 attacks. I actually prefer Horde Breaker.

MisterD
2022-10-26, 02:36 PM
So 3 or 4 levels Gloomstalker then back to Monk or fighter?

CTurbo
2022-10-26, 04:04 PM
Depends on what you're actually wanting from your character. I don't personally like Kensei Monk so I would want to at the very least get to Fighter 11 for 3rd attack, but Monks need as much ki as they can get so it's probably better to take as many Monk levels as you can. A few levels of Gloom Stalker does add some extra damage and utility, but it comes at the loss of being able to use your Monk abilities more often.

Greywander
2022-10-27, 07:42 AM
Question. Does the Gloom Stalker ability only give ONE extra attack if attacking per round or per turn?
Per Attack action. If you dip into fighter for Action Surge you can make that extra attack twice. You only get the extra attack during your first turn, though, but it can be a heck of a way to open up an encounter. An early advantage can make the difference between an easy win and a TPK.

MisterD
2022-10-29, 03:11 PM
So Gloom Stalker to level 3
Then Fighter for rest (more ASI and more Superiority die to ensure Sharpshooter hits (precision attack)
)

MisterD
2022-11-08, 11:41 PM
Currently character is level 10 and being used in AL games.
I want to limit him to throwing "cards" for concept.
Here is current breakdown and reasons. Any suggestions for changes or after level 10 welcome.

00) Wood Half-Elf. Monk is MAD Half-Elf Stat bonus (Tasha) helps plus Rural Half-elf traveling and playing cards around the world sounds fun.
00) Stats 8 / 15(+2) / 13(+1) / 10 / 15(+1) /10 for 8 / 17 / 14 / 10 / 16 / 10
01) MONK-1- Unarmored and MA
02) MONK-2- Darts as dedicated weapon, KI and more movement
03) MONK-3- KENSI - Catch missiles and Dagger and Dart now use MA die - +2 AC with a card in his hand. +1D4 to all ranged attack when activate as a Bonus action, Painter (make his own cards)
04) MONK-4- ASI Elven Accuracy (18 DEX)
05) MONK-5- Extra attack (2) and Stunning strike (Nice to have and use in an emergency)
06) MONK-6- Fist and "cards" count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
07) FIGTER-1- Archery) +2 to ranged "cards"
08) FIGHTER-2- Surge
09) FIGHTER-3- Samurai (Advantage on all attacks activated as a bonus action 3 times per Long Rest)
10) FIGHTER-4- ASI SHARPSHOOTER - At this point with advantage and Archery and -5 to hit from sharpshooter can more likely get the +10 to damage for "cards" and can throw 60 feet
11) RANGER-1- (Tasha version)
12) RANGER-2- Throw style (+2 damage for cards)
13) RANGER-3- GLOOM STALKER +WIS to initiative and one extra "card throw" per attack action on first turn in combat (6 cards after Action Surge with Advantage with KENSI)
14) RANGER-4- ASI (Monks not getting to many ASI) +2 DEX (20 DEX)
15) MONK-7- Evasion and with equations and strategies running through his mind all the time as an action end Charmed/Feared
16) MONK-8- ASI +2 WIS (18 WIS)
17) MONK-9- Extra Movement
18) MONK-10- immune to disease and poison. (With all his travels and carousing he has developed many anti-bodies)
19) MONK-11- Get an extra weapon for KENSI weapon (No idea for 3rd Kensi Weapon)
20) MONK-12- ASI +2 WIS (WIS 20)

Level 3 -Cards become MA weapons)
Level 4- Extra Advantage on Dex attack rolls)
Level 7- Archery (+2 to hit)
Level 9- Kensi for advantage on all attacks a turn activated as a bonus action
Level 10- Sharpshooter (-5 to hit for +10 damage)

Level 1-10 = Build hits its stride.

Level 12- Throw (+2 to damage)
Level 13- 1 Extra attack on first attack action a turn (2 with Action Surge)
Level 16 and 18- to get WIS to 20

Level 11-16 = Boost
Level 17-20 = Gravy

Maybe last three levels in another class? Do not see what last three adds to concept except 'cards' go from D6 to D8 in LATE- Tier 4 game and will lose last MONK ASI.

Silpharon
2022-11-09, 10:38 AM
As an aside for a 'card thrower', returning weapon from an Artificer level 2 infusion gives you a constant +1 dart that's a magic weapon and returns to your hand after each attack. Then you can also ignore 'thrown weapon' fighting style and not run out of cards.

That said, your build looks great too.

MisterD
2022-11-09, 11:12 AM
As an aside for a 'card thrower', returning weapon from an Artificer level 2 infusion gives you a constant +1 dart that's a magic weapon and returns to your hand after each attack. Then you can also ignore 'thrown weapon' fighting style and not run out of cards.

That said, your build looks great too.

What level progression do you recommend using artificer?

Silpharon
2022-11-09, 02:05 PM
What level progression do you recommend using artificer?

Well I think the main benefit is the returning aspect in this case, but your DM must have let you skirt the rules. RAW and RAI as I understand it, without thrown weapon fighting style, returning weapon infusion, or similar, you can't attack with more than one dart/card per turn. You can draw a singular weapon as part of a turn, not multiple darts - hence the language in the thrown weapon fighting style.

If your DM hasn't given you grief yet, don't bring it up, and leave artificer out of the mix.

Amnestic
2022-11-09, 02:19 PM
Well I think the main benefit is the returning aspect in this case, but your DM must have let you skirt the rules. RAW and RAI as I understand it, without thrown weapon fighting style, returning weapon infusion, or similar, you can't attack with more than one dart/card per turn. You can draw a singular weapon as part of a turn, not multiple darts - hence the language in the thrown weapon fighting style.

If you start with 1 in each hand then once you grab extra attack it'll be:

Turn 0: 2
Turn 1: Throw 2, draw 1. Result: 1 in hand
Turn 2: Draw 1, Throw 2. Result: 0 in hand
Turn 3: Draw 1, cannot throw another one :(

So you'll run out by turn 3 without either Thrown fighting style or returning weapon.

Silpharon
2022-11-09, 02:45 PM
If you start with 1 in each hand then once you grab extra attack it'll be:

Turn 0: 2
Turn 1: Throw 2, draw 1. Result: 1 in hand
Turn 2: Draw 1, Throw 2. Result: 0 in hand
Turn 3: Draw 1, cannot throw another one :(

So you'll run out by turn 3 without either Thrown fighting style or returning weapon.

Yeah, looks right. I typically like running with a shield, at which point you get to problems by turn 2. As a monk that doesn't use a shield you get an extra turn of it being "ok".

Honestly if it's worked for you (OP) this long, just grab the thrown weapon style as part of ranger and don't worry about it.

MisterD
2022-11-09, 03:12 PM
Level 14 I can.

1st round Throw 3 'cards' (2 from monk and one from Gloom Stalker) action surge and do it again for 6 attacks ONLY on first turn
2nd round just 2 attacks (3 for one Ki for one throw as a bonus action)
+12 to hit and 1D6+7 damage normal
+7 to hit and 1D6+17 damage Sharpshooter.

Either at advantage (Fighting Spirit) or +1D6 (Hunter's Mark)

Not bad for just throwing playing cards.