PDA

View Full Version : Creating Pinhead

montoya
2022-10-26, 06:32 PM
So I want to create Pinhead in my epic campaign. Of course he would be modified for D&D forgotten realms lore but he would basically be the same thing. I was thinking perhaps cleric wizard MT. He would be level 22, I am wondering if I should take another class. How could I incorporate his hook and chain he throws around? Obviously he would be a follower of Loviatar.

Thurbane
2022-10-26, 10:20 PM
Is this for a PC, or NPC? You could use a Chain Devil as the base, and throw class levels on it...

Remuko
2022-10-27, 12:29 AM
Is this for a PC, or NPC? You could use a Chain Devil as the base, and throw class levels on it...

this. the hell priest is definitely an advanced (probably unique) Chain Devil/Kyton.

Bohandas
2022-10-27, 02:07 AM
this. the hell priest is definitely an advanced (probably unique) Chain Devil/Kyton.
Or a Sibriex except smaller and with a regular body

Obviously he would be a follower of Loviatar.

And more importantly a member of the Society of Sensation

Inevitability
2022-10-27, 03:55 AM
The Lasher (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?371835-Iron-Chef-Optimisation-Challenge-in-the-Playground-LX) Iron Chef round might offer some inspiration?

Biggus
2022-10-27, 04:51 AM
Cenobite means Monk (in the original book they were members of The Order of the Gash). I wouldn't necessarily use the Monk class itself but divine classes would definitely be thematic.

Maybe homebrew a epic feat which increases the number of chains a chain devil can control? Custom epic feats can do almost anything and are explicitly encouraged (ELH p.46).

Inevitability
2022-10-27, 04:54 AM
Cenobite means Monk (in the original book they were members of The Order of the Gash). I wouldn't necessarily use the Monk class itself but divine classes would definitely be thematic.

Maybe homebrew a epic feat which increases the number of chains a chain devil can control? Custom epic feats can do almost anything and are explicitly encouraged (ELH p.46).

If you're unwilling to resort to homebrew, then (Permanencied) Animate Objects can also work to get more chains involved!

Curbludgeon
2022-10-27, 05:53 AM
One might consider lifting some of the expansion of Kytons found in Pathfinder, where they're known as velstrac. Pinhead might be represented as anything from the previously mortal Apostle, the Evangelist which is closest to the original kyton, to something all the way up to the Velstrac demagogue lords.

As far as 3.5 classes, a gestalt fleshwarper/maiden of pain gets on brand quickly enough.

Bohandas
2022-10-27, 12:57 PM

I know I certainly wouldn't use the Monk class to represent a monk. I'd use the Cleric or Bard class to represnet a monk, and I'd use the Monk class to represent some kind of martial artist.

montoya
2022-10-27, 02:02 PM

Sorry for not clarifying, I was in a hurry. This is for an NPC villain (3rd in line to the big baddie). Chain devil sounds good, both would be considered LE since the hell priest must follows the laws of hell. I usually don't like to rip off movie characters for D&D but I always wanted to make him and the campaign presents a great opportunity. Especially since the players have never seen any of the movies so they wouldn't suspect the pain and pleasure indivisible angle, at least not at first. And of course as DM I do not beed to follow character creation rules but I choose to while taking some minor liberties, such as giving all my NPCs +3 to attributes off the bat plus some skill fudging ;)

If he is able to wear armor of course it would be leather armor interwoven through his skin and of course +5 armor bonus. Some good suggestions here thank you everyone!

AlanBruce
2022-10-27, 04:10 PM
Will you have The Lament Configuration? I would throw it in as random loot and PCs being PCs, they’ll want to know what is, what it can do. Enter the usual divinations, which should yield enough information to arise their curiosity and use it, thus it gives you the perfect opportunity to quote Pin Head when he does show up.

Thurbane
2022-10-27, 04:29 PM
Will you have The Lament Configuration? I would throw it in as random loot and PCs being PCs, they’ll want to know what is, what it can do. Enter the usual divinations, which should yield enough information to arise their curiosity and use it, thus it gives you the perfect opportunity to quote Pin Head when he does show up.

Someone once suggested using a Cubic Gate (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cubicGate) as a stand-in for the Lament Configuration.

montoya
2022-10-27, 07:18 PM

Ohhh thats a good idea! I definitely will work that into the story!

montoya
2022-10-28, 05:41 PM
For the chain and hooks themselves I was going to use modified scourge damage and each successful hit would require a grapple check.

Gruftzwerg
2022-11-01, 12:08 AM
How about a simple Warshaper dip to get the "Chain Rakes" of a Chain Golem?
Changeling for easy access to warshaper is recommended and also helps with his visual appearance (change hair into nails..). Leaves much more room for the needed caster stuff (teleport, explosion spells, illusions spells..)