PDA

View Full Version : Demons

Yami
2007-11-30, 06:43 PM
A friend of mine recently return from abroad and offered to DM a campiagn for a few friends, allowing me to be a player. Huzzah!

So, we start up a campaign where-in the world has been over-run by demons. Sounds interesting and fun. Sadly, we're starting to run out of fresh to fight Demons, and I'm getting tired of all the Eckelids (sp?) we've been running into. I've given him ideas on how to spruce up encounters, but he still wants new creatures to play with (understandbly,) and we're just getting a decent enough level that he's been oggling the Arrow Demon. And that might doom us all.

So I was forced to take matters into my own hands and craft my own demons for him to try.

------

Demonlings

Size/Type: Small Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil)
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 16
BA/Grapple: +3/-0
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 melee (1d6+1), Rend
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rend
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron or law, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: -
Feats: Multiattack, Weapon finesse, dodge-mobility, Spring attack
Environment: A chaotic evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5), crowd (6-15), or mob (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 4-6 HD (medium), 7 HD (Demon hive)
Level Adjustment: -

Demon Hive

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil)
Hit Dice: 7d8+21 (52 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +7 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
BA/Grapple: +7/+18
Attack: Claw +14 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (2d6+7), Rend
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spawn Demonling, Charm monster at will DC 14, Rend
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron or law, Fast healing 10, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, SR 15, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: -
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Multiattack
Environment: A chaotic evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary w/ 4 Demonlings
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Rend: Using the version wherein if both claw attacks succed, then the creature gets to attempt two more. I know it doesn't stack well with spring attack, but using the CR checking rules in the homebrew section, they were already CR3, and the spring attack didn't hurt much.

Spawn Demonling: As a swift action, the Demon Hive may sapwn a Demonling in an adjacent square if it has less that four out. This is the part I come to the board looking for help on. The idea is that the Large creature runs about spawning little mooks to disrupt the players while they try to kill it. I'm, A: not sure how to classify this CR wise, and B: not sure if'n it'll even last with the low hp and ac. I suppose I could just throw random bonuses on, but I wanted to build basically a larger tougher version of the little guys.

Also, the DM likes fast healing, so I was thinking of having just giving the mooks Fast healing 12 rather than DR. Does this sound reasonable?

DracoDei
2007-11-30, 07:27 PM
Somehow it doesn't feel quite right that it can only have 4 out at once without some fluff to support it... maybe it stores them inside comatose, and can only control 4 at once (they ARE chaotic afterall...)?

Yami
2007-11-30, 08:48 PM
Hmm, I can see the reasoning there. The problem is that having creatures always spawning would be too much overkill. I was figuring on having the larger creature not able to control many, as you suggested. Perhaps build it so the creatue controls 1/2 HD worth of minions, incase of potential creature advancement. You are right about adding in fluff I suppose. I was really just looking for advice on the mechanics, but it is rude to the creatures to keep them fluffless.

I'll try to fix that before the morrow.