PDA

View Full Version : Your Strangest 3.5 PC?

Particle_Man
2022-10-28, 01:31 AM
What is the strangest 3.5 PC you have played? What were the pros and cons of playing that PC?

Inevitability
2022-10-28, 02:51 AM
Sentry Ooze Skitterhaunt hairy spider warlock. Fine-sized, terrible stats other than dexterity and constitution, great at stealth with magical darkness to boot. Never got to play it much because the campaign was play-by-post and petered out quite quickly.

smetzger
2022-10-28, 04:12 PM
Sentry Ooze Skitterhaunt hairy spider warlock. Fine-sized, terrible stats other than dexterity and constitution, great at stealth with magical darkness to boot. Never got to play it much because the campaign was play-by-post and petered out quite quickly.

Could be interesting to play A Bugs Life campaign where all players have fine sized characters.

2022-10-28, 04:21 PM
Anthropomorphic Whale into Hulking Hurler with an enchanted adamantine sphere. He was a bowling champion and I took the trick that lets him bowl two people at once, so he could perform a seven-ten split.

Seward
2022-10-29, 01:11 AM
My wife and I played characters optimized for level 1 (both would start to suffer at level 2 and beyond).

Hers was better - Grey elf warmage with 20 int, 18 dex and 6 constitution. Toughness was a key feat. But she tended to go first and missiles doing 1d4+6 that don't miss at level 1, burning hands of 1d4+5 and rays with +4 to hit and 1d3+5 damage kind of break the level 1 encounter scale.

I played a sorcerer with 18 strength, 12 cha and toughening transmutation, with swift xp retreat to give himself dr 5/magic at need, or message spell to give somebody else dr 5/magic at need. He fought with melee and sometimes a few key L1 scrolls, his other spell was Earth Fist (strength 24 1d6+10 damage) if something needed killing that his companions spells couldn't touch, but he tended to be a secondary light infantry who provided utility support.

For her, the hitpoint situation would be a problem, very quickly. Even at level 1 I needed to be sure she wasn't going to be a target and need DR before choosing my own actions. My guy just had stats in the wrong place for a proper gish and no plan for what happens when zero bab + being strong stops being enough to contribute.

Both were very successful in the 3 level 1 games they got to play. (they were created to play some introductory modules as the Living Greyhawk campaign was in its last days. We knew they'd never be taken further. After 3 adventures you earned enough xp to level so we stopped them).

Malphegor
2022-10-29, 02:25 PM
Tbh I think all my characters are strange so it’s time for a Malphegor Characters That He Remembers Offhand Rundown List!

1: Malphegor, a tiefling wizard who had prophetic dreams of a stone city, all surrounding a single stone eye which watched over its faceless inhabitants. His grandmother was a renowned monsterlover of many species, and claims that Malphie’s grandfather was a Balor. Malphaga his grandmother lived in a swamp as it was ‘full of life’. He had a sister named Mafalda, who was mostly human in form, who was still in education at the time of Malphegor’s death. Malphegor’s parents were half-fiend consuls, the equivalent of lawyers in the world, who’d advise people on legal matters.

Malphegor died to petrification and lost his face to his own party members chipping bits of him off to preserve to one day revive him. He never was. His prophetic dreams it turns out (entirely by accident amusingly) were of his own death shortly after finding religion with goddess of death Wee Jas. Turns out, from day 1 of play he was doomed to die.

2: Hurleigh the Strong in the Arm’d Goliath Hulking Hurler. Hurleigh was short lived, a former slave who devoted his life to freeing other slaves. He joined the party shortly after multiple members had died, or sent to Lolth to live their lives as that goddess’ servants or food it was honestly unclear (drow are weird). Hurleigh was so strong he probably mechanically could have lifted an entire house.
Due to me having never played a martial character before, Hurleigh died in combat for the gentle and innocent strongman failed to add his strength to his blows, resulting in weaker damage. Hurleigh got exploded by the massive damage of a good roll by a hydra. May his backstory and characterisation never see further development.

3: Borghilde: So technically I’ve played Borghilde twice, with mildly different backstories. But basically… There once was a girl orphaned. She was lost in the woods, and sought shelter in an abandoned and overgrown tomb. There she saw a strange apparition, a haunting visage, which claimed to be a queen. The young girl pledged herself to her new Mother and went off into the world, as a young Mother Cysted Dread Necromancer, seeking to rule in Mother’s stead and make all submit to her rule. In an eberron game I’m in, she’s a cohort, a bit younger than her original version, and much more awkward and lacking in direction, and is at the start of the game working for a very pretty gnome running a newspaper compamy that Borghilde wishes she could be as confident as. When she finds Mother in that continuity, she’ll slowly begin to hate her gnome employer and want to mind control her and begin her rise into evil. Probably, depends on roleplay. Game starts in a few days, see how that develops.

4: Yao the Wu Jen. The Deep Imaskari elementalist mage of the arcane order, Yao has emerged from the planar vaults to see the blighted landscape of this modern time and I honestly do not remember what his deal was beyond ‘fantasy version of fallout game character’

5: Mairon Tevildo, the Tibbit freedom fighter, from a land dominated by tibbits and hengeyokai and other minor shapeshifting animals, Mairon was a warlock, and he’d defend the land against demon worshipping human colonists. His powers stemmed from the primordial bond from when the first tibbit was a wizard’s familiar, and believes as firmly as any faith that the wizard still lives and grants supernatural powers to his familiars’ descendants.

6: Aroth Ushtan. A dwarf Unholy Scion using the eberron evil outsiders can posess things rules (p100 ecs), Aroth is a runecaster, and tries to manipulate people into protecting him and his evil goals while developing magical writings tk empower himself and his allies. Sort of based on dwarf fortress dorfs with his odd moodswings.

7: Casim the prismatic wizard who solely uses light and rainbow themed spells and has spell thematics (taste the rainbow lasers) for all other spells, Casim was never played but is a strict looking middle eastern man wearing a colourful dashiki shirt and solely exists because I own a dashiki and wanted to wear one to games and use rainbow powers.
He had a daughter who would be a sha’ir whose name escapes me.

8: THE HELLREAVER. IN THE FIRST AGE IN THE FIRST BATTLE, WHEN THE FIRES FIRST LENGTHENED, ONE TOOK THE PATH OF CARNAGE. Hellbred avenging executioner build with snatch trophy I think designed around glory kills and scaring his enemies with every action. Clad in armour from top to bottom of abyssal bloodiron, I made a doomslayer. Has yet to see play but really interested in playing a person who’s so angry at the continued existence of evil that they only speak when necessary and act more than flap their gums.

Fero
2022-10-29, 04:46 PM
The DM killed my Wizard while I was away from the table (for a very legitimate reason). Somehow, we decided that I should play his familiar (a mouse). I retooled the familiar into an Incantrix/Jade Phoenix Mage that used absurd self buffs to become an overpowered ball of fuzzy death. In retrospect, I may have been a bit salty over how the DM killed my wizard.

Bonzai
2022-10-29, 07:09 PM
Mongrel folk druid 1/wizard 1/ sorcerer 1/ totemist 2/beastmaster 10.

The build focused on getting as many animal companions as possible, trading familiars for them, and then using share soulmeld on them to let them all shoot wyvern spines. I believe I could get up to 8. Roll play wise she was literally a crazy cat lady. All of her animal companions were cats. Worse, she would never reference herself when she spoke. Instead she would anthropomorphisize them, each cat representing an aspect of her personality. So Mr. Bigglebritches might be brave and fierce, Princess prissy paws would be fun loving and easy going. She would basically state "their" thoughts on things. For example "oooh Princess prissy feet loved the party! But captain grouchy puss thinks the kings minister is up to something, yes he does, yes he does".

Never got to finish that campaign, but it was a very memorable character.

the_tick_rules
2022-10-29, 10:32 PM
I know my strangest PC from my DM's point of view.

I had a character end on a major cliffhanger. We chased a raksasha assassin through a portal into the elemental plane of fire. He spent a year in germany so when he came back he kinda forgot where he wanted to go with that so we started a new campaign in same setting. I used the hero builder guide and rolled a female monk on an epic love quest. I decided she was chasing after my old PC after he went missing. He thought it hilarious I was technically chasing myself.