PDA

View Full Version : How powerful is a Pact Boon vs. an Invocation?

Segev
2022-10-29, 01:03 AM
Periodically, I find myself contemplating warlock concepts and builds that feel like they either need two Pact Boons or at least need Invocations from one Boon and a different Boon. For example, Pact of the Chain and Aspect of the Moon.

Would an Invocation that granted a second Pact Boon be overpowered? My instinct is "yes," but I am uncertain.

Kane0
2022-10-29, 01:18 AM
Id say base boon only, and maybe require the eldritch adept feat to qualify for other invocations that second boon unlocks?

Greywander
2022-10-29, 02:03 AM
Pact boons are a class feature, so it would probably be fair to give one as a feat. A singular invocation is also a feat option, thus by the transitive property, a pact boon has the same value as an invocation.

I feel like it would be fine as a feat. However, with how invocation-starved warlocks can be, and how you'd only be more so with a second pact boon and having to burn an invocation to get the second pact boon, it might actually be fine.

animorte
2022-10-29, 02:23 AM
I put together a pact boon subclass some year or two ago. Each subclass feature is basically just pick another pact boon.

To answer your question, the strength of pact boons and invocations alike varies enough that I don’t think you would hurt the game.

Rukelnikov
2022-10-29, 04:22 AM
Tome and Chain seem pretty strong for an invocation, even if you cant get subsequent invocations.

A feat for Pact of the Chain is something I'd consider with a lot of characters, definitely worth a feat, especially if you can take it at lvl 1.

Tome is comparable to Magic Initiate, 1 cantrip instead of a 1st level spell with an extra use, but they can be of any class and become Cha based.

Blade isn't as good by itself, but the possibility of getting Thirsting Blade later on makes it definitely worth a feat.

Consider the following invocations "Get 3 cantrips from any class they become class spells for you" and "get an improved familiar", I think both of those would see a lot of play.

Kane0
2022-10-29, 05:05 AM
-snip-

Good point, yeah i'd second making it a feat.
(Even if there is a feat that grants one invocation i personally consider that on the average-to-weak side of possible options)

Segev
2022-10-29, 05:07 AM
Maybe a feat that requires having at least one Invocation as a prerequisite, so a Warlock can take it at level four, while most others would have to be level eight? A spellcaster v. human or custom race could have it by level four, too, but that's a niche case.

Rukelnikov
2022-10-29, 05:36 AM
Maybe a feat that requires having at least one Invocation as a prerequisite, so a Warlock can take it at level four, while most others would have to be level eight? A spellcaster v. human or custom race could have it by level four, too, but that's a niche case.

Makes sense thematically, but that's basically paying 2 feats, one of which is on the weak side, and you also cany make the most of it, since you are locked from the invocations that improve on those unless you are a Warlock (as per Eldritch Adept description).

I'd just make it a feat, you gain a pact boon, maybe prereq Cha 13 and lvl 4, and Eldritch adept maybe deseves a +1 Int/Wis/Cha

EDIT tbh, the only reason for the lvl 4 prereq is to avoid the "feels bad" when the non lock gets the lock things before them, I dont think the improved familiars are a big imbalance even at 1.

Segev
2022-10-29, 03:06 PM
Makes sense thematically, but that's basically paying 2 feats, one of which is on the weak side, and you also cany make the most of it, since you are locked from the invocations that improve on those unless you are a Warlock (as per Eldritch Adept description).

I'd just make it a feat, you gain a pact boon, maybe prereq Cha 13 and lvl 4, and Eldritch adept maybe deseves a +1 Int/Wis/Cha

EDIT tbh, the only reason for the lvl 4 prereq is to avoid the "feels bad" when the non lock gets the lock things before them, I dont think the improved familiars are a big imbalance even at 1.

My main thought process was that this was originally something I was thinking of as an Invocation, so primarily being to get Warlocks a second Pact Boon. Making it a feat makes it accessible to non-Warlocks. Gating it behind either being a Warlock 2 or having Eldritch Adept keeps it mostly for Warlocks' "second Boon," but also makes it available if you really want to get an invocation and a pact boon.

animorte
2022-10-29, 03:29 PM
My main thought process was that this was originally something I was thinking of as an Invocation, so primarily being to get Warlocks a second Pact Boon. Making it a feat makes it accessible to non-Warlocks. Gating it behind either being a Warlock 2 or having Eldritch Adept keeps it mostly for Warlocks' "second Boon," but also makes it available if you really want to get an invocation and a pact boon.

It would make sense to me that an invocation could trade for an additional pact boon. Alone, without additional invocations, they are roughly equivalent to a feat or any other invocation. Naturally the balance across all of them comparatively isn’t consistent.

Because of that, I think logically, Eldritch Adept would be fine to gain a pact boon. Of course, the name itself, “Pact Boon” suggests otherwise. Maybe you could even take Eldritch Adept multiple times, allowing a different class to trade out their valuable ASIs for some sweet tricks.

Tanarii
2022-10-30, 12:08 PM
Depends how powerful invisible familiars are in your campaign.

Other than that, Tome and Blade are probably fine for an Invocation.