PDA

View Full Version : What is Qarr? (Spoilers)

kpenguin
2007-11-30, 07:38 PM
Now that we know what Qarr looks like, we can start accurately figuring out what sort of monster Qarr is. My thoughts on possibilities:

Imp: This seems like the most popular belief. However, Qarr would have a stinger on his tail if he were an imp. Furthermore, imps lack the ability to charm "a few dozen monsters".
Quasit: With imp ruled out, I looked at the quasit, the imp's demonic cousin. The same lack of ability to charm dozens of monsters is present in the quasit as well. At least imps can use suggestion once per day.
Mephit: Qarr could be a mephit, a small element-based outsider. However, again the lack of charming ability is a problem and another element-outsider, Celia the sexy sylph, has a blue text bubble, making it doubtful that a mephit would not have something similar.
Homebrewed Fiend: I think this is the most likely.

Thoughts?

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 07:44 PM
Alternatively, it could be any of the above with class levels.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-11-30, 07:45 PM
...another element-outsider, Celia the sexy sylph...

Celia's a fey, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0071.html) not an outsider.

kpenguin
2007-11-30, 07:51 PM
Alternatively, it could be any of the above with class levels.

If it is, then the OotS is in trouble. Mass Charm Monster is a level 8 spell for wizards and sorcerers and level 6 for bards.

Celia's a fey, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0071.html) not an outsider.

Celia also refers to herself as a paraelemental (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0269.html). While there has been some discrepancy on exactly what Celia's type is, sylphs are listed as outsiders in Monster Manual II, so I consider Celia to be one.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-30, 07:52 PM
He/she/it looks somewhat like the hordlings (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0073.html)...

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 07:56 PM
If it is, then the OotS is in trouble. Mass Charm Monster is a level 8 spell for wizards and sorcerers and level 6 for bards.

Interestingly, all of the monsters Durkon says attacked them have an Intelligence score of at least six, and are the type to have a tribal structure. All Qarr would need to do is charm one monster; the chieftain.

kpenguin
2007-11-30, 07:59 PM
Interestingly, all of the monsters Durkon says attacked them have an Intelligence score of at least six, and are the type to have a tribal structure. All Qarr would need to do is charm one monster; the chieftain.

Whether or not Qarr would have to only charm the chieftain is irrelevant. Qarr specifically said "dozens of monsters."

Green Bean
2007-11-30, 08:25 PM
Whether or not Qarr would have to only charm the chieftain is irrelevant. Qarr specifically said "dozens of monsters."

Keep in mind that they've been at sea for over four months, and have been attacked almost constantly; even if Qarr's only Charming the chiefs, it adds up.

kpenguin
2007-11-30, 08:31 PM
Maybe a plan that doesn't involve me charming a few dozen monsters for once?

The bolded parts seem to imply that each plan involved charming multiple monsters.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-30, 08:54 PM

He doesn't have to use mass charm monster. Regular charm monster will do just fine: Unlike charm person, it lasts days/leve, so he could conceivably get dozens of monsters under his thralll. Of course, he needs seven class levels for that, but imps and quasits are both CR 2, so he also needs well over seven class levels to pose a threat to the Order.

Chronos
2007-11-30, 09:30 PM
I just noticed that one of the forum avatars drawn by Rich is an imp:http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/Imp.gif. While there is some resemblance to Qarr, it doesn't look close enough that they'd be the same species.

Burrito
2007-11-30, 09:39 PM
Could Qarr be a familiar to one of the Voices? And He/She/It is speaking and acting through Qarr?

Ganurath
2007-11-30, 10:24 PM
Based on the grounds that he is antagonizing Therkla, I'd like to add to the possible theories that Qarr is a vermin of some sort.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-11-30, 11:03 PM
I think he's lord whatshisface's familiar.

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-11-30, 11:20 PM

can't be, therkla specifically said that she was here longer than the outsider. i would assume the familiar would be around longer than 7 years

Antamar
2007-11-30, 11:21 PM
I think he's a Quasit or Imp with at least 7 levels in Wizard or Sorcerer.

mockingbyrd7
2007-11-30, 11:24 PM

Lord Whatshisface? Do you mean Daimyo Kubota? Or "Lord" Xykon? As in, Kubota could be a spellcaster, or Xykon could have a runaway familiar? Either one could be interesting, actually.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-30, 11:35 PM
He's an illusion projected by an Aboleth!

RelentlessImp
2007-11-30, 11:38 PM
As the expert on Imps (hell, I am one) I call Qarr as an Imp. Case closed!

Cyrano
2007-11-30, 11:47 PM
He's a small portal into the Star Wars universe. Force. Nuff said.

VetMichael
2007-12-01, 12:13 AM
He's an illusion projected by an Aboleth!

Nerd-O-Rama is my new HERO!

Viva la Aboleth!!

the mysterian
2007-12-01, 03:24 AM
the real question is, is he weak to cold iron or silver?(here we go again :D)

i had a thought, can imps be a type of familiar or am i just being crazy here?

Kurald Galain
2007-12-01, 04:39 AM
can't be, therkla specifically said that she was here longer than the outsider. i would assume the familiar would be around longer than 7 years

Well, it's possible that Kubato only recently took a level in, say, sorcerer in order to be able to grab power in a quicker fashion. But admittedly that does not sound very likely.

Neopolis
2007-12-01, 04:46 AM
He is obviously a half-kobold half-pit fiend.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-01, 05:31 AM
Could be a mere imp/quasit with a few class levels and a wand of mass charm monster?

Deezee
2007-12-01, 05:33 AM
An imp or some sort of homebrewed devil. It doesn't strike me as demonic to live on someone's ship, corrupt him to evil (probably) and charm monsters to use in ambushes.

Gravedjinn
2007-12-01, 09:38 AM
he is an Abishai....

they can easily do what we have seen qarr do....
they can change there size and appearance to one degree or another.

there job line tends to be of a different nature on there home plane but it is not out of line that this could be an issue of the abishai was summoned and under the conntrol of someone else.

Green Bean
2007-12-01, 11:15 AM
Could be a mere imp/quasit with a few class levels and a wand of mass charm monster?

You can't put a spell higher than fourth level on a wand. Still, you could have a wand of Charm Monster.

Mesfens
2007-12-01, 05:58 PM
I say he's a homebrwed fiend whom's fiend he is based on be never revealed. Like :sabine:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-01, 06:44 PM
It's both a home-brewed imp/quasit cross, AND someone's familiar! :smallbiggrin:

I'm SURE of it!

Probably an Aboleth Mage's Familiar.

Iamyourking
2007-12-01, 11:38 PM
I would say that a Quasit seems unlikely, Kubota is probably Lawful Evil and as such would be unlikely to associate with a Chaotic Evil demon.

VetMichael
2007-12-02, 12:43 PM
It's both a home-brewed imp/quasit cross, AND someone's familiar! :smallbiggrin:

I'm SURE of it!

Probably an Aboleth Mage's Familiar.

The Aboleth Did It! Cult: We are Legion :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2007-12-03, 05:42 PM
What is Qarr? Qarr is a bloomin' anticlimax! I was rather hoping it would be something bigger than an imp. Still, as backup to a villain an imp can be rather deadly. Interestingly in Cadderly D&D books by R A Salvatore, main recurring villain was an imp, but one from the Abyss. Back then the term Quasit was not in regular use. it survived deaths of big villains and continued to team up with more baddies to harass the heroes.

GSFB
2007-12-04, 06:00 PM
But who is really in charge? And, who does the imp really report to? I am assuming the imp showed up shortly after Sabine gave her report to the underworld, with instructions from down deep.

David Argall
2007-12-04, 06:22 PM
But who is really in charge? And, who does the imp really report to? I am assuming the imp showed up shortly after Sabine gave her report to the underworld, with instructions from down deep.
While the imp has been there for less than 7 years, it has also been in position for a lot longer than the days since Sabine found out about the gate. When we first hear him, he is already in a position where he makes statements, not suggestions, to Kubota. That is not a new relationship.
Oh yes, the imp and Kubota have consistently acted as if they had no idea of the Gate.

EvilJames
2007-12-05, 02:30 AM
While the imp has been there for less than 7 years, it has also been in position for a lot longer than the days since Sabine found out about the gate. When we first hear him, he is already in a position where he makes statements, not suggestions, to Kubota. That is not a new relationship.
Oh yes, the imp and Kubota have consistently acted as if they had no idea of the Gate.

As I have mentioned before while Kubota likely has no knowledge of the gates, we've really seen nothing either way for the imp. It may or may not know of the gates. If it does then why go after this one, if it doesn't then why bother with the city at all at this point, why try and make Kubota the leader of nothing. AC is lost and the refugees are in no position to take it back. (particularly if Kubota ends up in charge) My guess is that if he does work for the same fiends as sabine then their plans go beyond the Dark One's and do not require the gate itself but the rifts. We'll just have to se, maybe the giant will show the imp being informed of the gates and maybe the imp will mention that it happened only a bit ago

Funmerchant
2007-12-05, 04:42 AM
Qarr making statements instead of suggestions is not a sign of a long or respected relationship, but arrogance. Only one other recurring character was noted for arrogance, and clearly Qarr was she. Twisted by her fall from grace, Miko's (a.k.a. Qarr) power and rage manifest quickly as an spiteful little Fiend bent on the destruction of Lord Hinjo. She immediately allied with team Kubota to speed this end.