PDA

View Full Version : Monster Proposal: Book Mimic (please PEACH)

brian 333
2022-10-30, 09:43 AM
This living creature is a shapechanger with a singular diet: it eats books. Scrolls, tablets, plaques, stacks of note paper, or anything which is primarily a written work will be consumed. As it digests the book it becomes able to duplicate it, word for word, letter for letter. It even copies the mistakes. To most observers, the mimic is indistinguishable from the last written work it devoured.

The duplicated works can be read as if they were the original items. In fact, this is what the book mimic wants. A bit of the reader's psychic energy is drained each time the mimic is read. The portion is tiny: a mere 10 exp per reading, which is hardly noticeable unless the reader has no experience points. (This can lead to level loss, with a level 1 character reduced to level zero becoming a mindless automaton until a lesser restoration spell is used, which will bring the character to 1 exp: enough to regain awareness.)

Once the book mimic has attracted attention to itself it can be recognized as a living creature. It begins life with 1d3 hp, but it is able to gain levels. It does this by consuming magical writings. Each scroll orison or cantrip it consumed grants it 10exp, and each scroll spell level it consumes grants it 100 exp.

The book mimic has intelligence. In its infant state it has an Int of 1. It will consume one volume per month, if allowed, 'forgetting' the previously consumed text and mimicking the latest.

The book mimic gains a level when it has stolen enough experience points from readers or through consuming magical writings to do so. Every time a book mimic gains enough exp to level up it gains an additional 1d3 HP and 1 point of intelligence.

For each point of Int, a book mimic can recall and mimic a written work which it has consumed. A book mimic with Int 3 can 'know' three books. A reader who is aware of the nature of the book mimic can request that it take the form of one of the desired books. The book mimic is able to know the reader's intent via its ability to draw exp from the reader, but this in no way should be regarded as an ability to read minds.

The mimic has some difficulty duplicating a spellbook. The complex formulae for spellcasting require the mimic to understand the spell as if it was a wizard. In order to duplicate the spell with enough precision for a wizard to prepare it for casting, the book mimic must have an Int score equal to 10+spell level. If a book mimic ingests a wizard's spellbook any spells above the mimic's Int limit will be garbled and unusable, (though there may be enough information to begin research on the spell.)

There is a similar issue with spell scrolls. If the book mimic cannot know the spell due to its Int limit, the consumed scroll is wasted. A spell it can know can be cast as a scroll, with a consequent loss of the exp the scroll provided.

A book mimic gains no benefit from consuming duplicates of a book it has already consumed, except that it may replace the oldest known book on the mimic's list of books it can mimic. For example, a level 3 book mimic can know 3 ordinary non-magical books. If it has consumed a copy of Don Quixote then consumed two other books, consuming another copy of Don Quixote will have no effect. If another book has been consumed, kicking Don Quixote off the 'known books' list, then consuming Don Quixote again will replace the current book on the bottom of the list.
(Optional: a book mimic usually looses the oldest book on its list when it consumes a new book, which goes on top of the list and becomes the default appearance for the book mimic. A book mimic with an Int of 3 may be taught to consume books without changing its list, or to replace books from higher up the list rather than simply the oldest. A book mimic with an Int of 9 may self-select books to retain or replace.)

A book mimic which has not eaten a book in the last 30 days will grow increasingly hungry. It will consume anything with a high cellulose content. While starved, the book mimic cannot be used as a book, and 'starvation rations' are insufficient to allow it concentrate on mimicking a readable book.

A well fed book mimic reproduces via budding. The bud is placed in a book and over the next month it consumes and becomes the book. (Before that it appears to be a flattened wad of gum.)

Book mimics are motile, with a top speed of 1ft/round. This never really improves. A book mimic which has been starved for more than a year becomes sessile. In this state it is indistinguishable from the last book it consumed, and it will not awaken until it has been read. If it can consume a book in the next thirty days it will remain active. Otherwise, it will resume its hibernation until reawakened and placed in proximity to written works.

Metastachydium
2022-10-30, 01:40 PM
What system is this for?

brian 333
2022-10-30, 04:33 PM
What system is this for?

Whichever you like. I tried to stay away from game system rules because the creature would fit in any fantasy setting.

Metastachydium
2022-10-31, 05:10 AM
Hm. The reason why I'm asking's because it couldn't possibly work like that in the system I'm most familiar with. It's not the nonstandard prerequisites for advancing in itself, but rather the specifics of this advancement. Barring some seriously odd racial class, that d3 HD's not going to work out, for starters. The concept is otherwise interesting, but I'm also a bit wary of the whole "it wants to eat your scrolls" stuff; it's basically asking for use as a player-unfriendly gotcha.

brian 333
2022-10-31, 08:04 AM
I should have written something about its history, being created by a wizard-thief for the purpose of stealing books from libraries.

1d3 is intentional. It's a book. It can't fight. It can't even run away. If it is ever specifically targeted, it's likely to be dead.

At first, yes, it's a gotcha. As DM, I'd have it eat scrolls the PC carried around and never used. (1/month is not a lot for an active campaigner.) When the PC realizes the scroll is still useable, for a while, he will begin to find uses for the 'pest'.

Think outside the box. I'm sure you could come up with a list of ways to make use of this creature!

Metastachydium
2022-10-31, 12:09 PM
I should have written something about its history, being created by a wizard-thief for the purpose of stealing books from libraries.

1d3 is intentional. It's a book. It can't fight. It can't even run away. If it is ever specifically targeted, it's likely to be dead.

That's not really the issue. Like I said, the concept is interesting (and that extra piece of lore is quite amusing). The issue is mechanical in nature. 3.5 (the system I feel qualified talking about) never uses d3s as HD and aberrations (such as the regular mimic) have, in fact, d8s. A racial class with d4 HD and a penalty to CON could work, however (resulting in, say, 1d4-1 (minimum 1) hp/level).

At first, yes, it's a gotcha. As DM, I'd have it eat scrolls the PC carried around and never used. (1/month is not a lot for an active campaigner.) When the PC realizes the scroll is still useable, for a while, he will begin to find uses for the 'pest'.

Think outside the box. I'm sure you could come up with a list of ways to make use of this creature!

Well, of course. But when the most obvious and straightforward use of a critter is taking the gotcha route (folugub and disenchanter, I'm looking at you), that can be a problem in itself.

brian 333
2022-10-31, 04:04 PM
That's not really the issue. Like I said, the concept is interesting (and that extra piece of lore is quite amusing). The issue is mechanical in nature. 3.5 (the system I feel qualified talking about) never uses d3s as HD and aberrations (such as the regular mimic) have, in fact, d8s. A racial class with d4 HD and a penalty to CON could work, however (resulting in, say, 1d4-1 (minimum 1) hp/level).

Well, of course. But when the most obvious and straightforward use of a critter is taking the gotcha route (folugub and disenchanter, I'm looking at you), that can be a problem in itself.

Okay, d3 should be changed to D4. It's a tiny size category mimic, so it's not going to stand up to a battle-axe was my point in making it a d3.

As for the problem, I, (perhaps foolishly,) anticipate a DM playing the NPC as opposed to randomly nerfing items in the character's possession.

One bit of lore I forgot to include: at 5+ Int the book mimic can commenicate through writing on its pages. It doesn't like being written on by others.

MrStabby
2022-11-01, 06:43 PM
This is a very cool creature, but I kind of feel it needs either more rules or less.

If I were to use it, then I would probably be as a big bad for a campaign - an ancient mimic that has devoured a library and is now fiendishly intelligent and wants to consume the worlds knowledge (and knows how to find it as it once ate an atlas). The library now inhabited by the drained victims of the book...

Yeah such a campaign would need to introduce younger versions of the same so it wouldn't be a surprise to the PCs (or not an unfair total surprise).

The issue I would have, is that the book is passive. It has no direct means of really interacting with the players. Personally I would like to see more rules that might let it do things like cast spells (if it has read them) or otherwise allow ancient mimics to do something proactive to the party (though by characer I get that they probably wouldn't unless provoked).

On the other hand, this is a lot of rules text for something that is probably a minor annoyance or a one off 'gotcha' event. Worrying about HD and HP on a creature that has no attack or any direct way to harm you seems superfluous - 99% of the time you don't care if it takes one round or ten rounds o kill somehing that can't fight back.

brian 333
2022-11-01, 08:24 PM
Valid points.

My first thought was that they would become compainion-creatures. I had initially thought that they could begin casting spells when their intelligence allowed. Then I had second thoughts, and decided they would become useable as spellbooks and scrolls which would allow a wizard or character with Use Magic Device to keep them as a portable library.

The initial 'gotcha' would become, 'Hey, this is handy!'

Imagine, being allowed to visit a library, but not being allowed to keep a book. Set your buddy on top of the stack, allow it to eat the book you want, then ask it to resume its previous shape as your spellbook. Leave the library with nothing but the book you brought in, but now you have the volume you want, ready for copying.

Or, a rival spellcaster refuses to allow you to copy a spell you like from his spellbook. Place your book bag beside his, order a couple of brews, and challenge him to a game of Wizard Monopoly. Afterward, the wizard accuses you of stealing his spellbook, but the only book in your bag is obviously not his.

You are dunked in the cold, dark waters of the Undersea. Your satchel of scrolls is filled with black water that ruins your stash of scrolls. However, you fed your book-buddy some scrolld a while back for just such emergencies, and that ruined scroll you really needed to move on in your adventure happens to be one it remembers.

But let's see:

Int 10, the book mimic can cast 1 cantrip if it is contained in the known books list.

Int 11, the book mimic can cast a level 1 spell, as above.

At each Int point increase, the creature gains the ability to cast a spell of level Int-10, so that at level 19, the mimic can cast one cantrip or orison, and one spell of each spell level, up to level 9. Unlike scroll use, casting a spell obtained via scroll in this manner does not use up the spell. At level 20, the book mimic gains spells per day equal to a level 1 wizard, thereafter progressing in spellcasting ability as a wizard character. It may cast any spell contained in any book on its list of known works, even clerical spells or any spells to which wizards are normally barred, but it cannot cast spells otherwise.

This would make it costly for the wizard, but a free extra spell per round until the creature runs out of spell slots, and with no preparation time, makes the investment marginally useful.

Metastachydium
2022-11-02, 07:01 AM
Hm. Wild thought: you could perhaps make it available as an Improved Familiar at some higher level. That would capitalize on the synergy with wizarding and give it some staying power.