PDA

View Full Version : Antipathy/Sympathy: line of effect

yisopo
2022-10-30, 11:08 AM
Let's say I cast Antipathy/Sympathy on a small stone. If I keep it in my pocket, am I preventing the effect of Antipathy/Sympathy to influence the environment around me?

I'm thinking at the interaction between total cover and spells here. Since the stone is totally covered, the effect of the stone should be blocked. But, in the other hand, the spell talks about "aura" and so I'm quite confused. Besides, it seems absurd a pocket can block a 8th-level spell. :smallbiggrin:

If this strategy doesn't work, how can I pause its effect when I want without using magic items (such as the bag of holding)?

Tanarii
2022-10-30, 11:45 AM
Personally I don't count clothing as interrupting the Clear Path to the Target (which is the 5e name for the rule for line of effect). Because entire creatures don't even count as total cover.

It would start getting saves immediately because of being unable to see the object, even if within 60ft. What's interesting here is it would be frightened until it made its save, but wouldn't move away because it can't see the target.

Corran
2022-10-30, 11:55 AM
Let's say I cast Antipathy/Sympathy on a small stone. If I keep it in my pocket, am I preventing the effect of Antipathy/Sympathy to influence the environment around me?
Not entirely. Within 60 feet you still affect creatures of the type you designated. But you stop affecting such creatures if they are more than 60 feet away when you block their line of sight to the stone.

I'm thinking at the interaction between total cover and spells here. Since the stone is totally covered, the effect of the stone should be blocked. But, in the other hand, the spell talks about "aura" and so I'm quite confused.
The rules you are thinking of have to do with targeting. The target of antpathy/sympathy in your example is the stone. As for what effect the stone will have on creatures against whom the stone is behind total cover, it is defined in the spell description. Ie if they get within 60 feet of it, cover or not, they are affected.

Besides, it seems absurd a pocket can block a 8th-level spell. :smallbiggrin:
In some cases this could be a benefit. Eg by allowing you to conceal a significant advantage you have prepared which would be only one object interaction away to put into action.

If this strategy doesn't work, how can I pause its effect when I want without using magic items (such as the bag of holding)?
Interesting question. Well, using the bag of holding idea as inspiration, one way could be by using spells and abilities that interact (quickly) with extra dimensional space. Eg, the eldritch knight fighter and the blade pact warlock have a feature that allows them to summon an actual weapon in their hands. Leomund secret chest could also apply. Find familiar assuming the DM allows it to carry items when de popped. I would assume ethrealness would also do the trick. Galder's speedy courier would be excellent for this if it was not for the very small time window. And under a very permisive DM you might be allowed to use scrying and teleport to summon the item to you too. Or I dunno, bind a demon or devil, know their name, give them the stone, and summon them via summon lesser/greater demon, infernal calling or gate. Precast a well timed rope trick? Give it to a shadow monk (far step using warlock, dimension spamming creature, etc; I like shadow monks because they also have slow fall), let the put it in their pocket and be in some distance, sommunicate with them with telepatic bond or via your familiar, and let them know when they should make a spectacular entrance.

Antimagic field would probably supress the effect while it lastss too, I think.

Tanarii
2022-10-30, 12:04 PM
The rules you are thinking of have to do with targeting. The target of antpathy/sympathy in your example is the stone. As for what effect the stone will have on creatures against whom the stone is behind total cover, it is defined in the spell description. Ie if they get within 60 feet of it, cover or not, they are affected.
The rule also applies to targets of spell effects, even if they're not the original target of the spell. For example, any AoE. The target is the point of origin, but the creatures are also targets.

Otoh the forum consensus I've seen before is that such spells usually call those "secondary targets" out explicitly as targets.

Definitely one of those areas where 5e (and previous editions of D&D for that matter) struggle with the use of the term target.

Corran
2022-10-30, 12:16 PM
The rule also applies to targets of spell effects, even if they're not the original target of the spell. For example, any AoE. The target is the point of origin, but the creatures are also targets.

Otoh the forum consensus I've seen before is that such spells usually call those "secondary targets" out explicitly as targets.

Definitely one of those areas where 5e (and previous editions of D&D for that matter) struggle with the use of the term target.
Hmm. That makes sense. In this case I am thinking it's a case of specific vs general then. Like fireball says that the fire goes around corners and thus be able to ignore total cover, antipathy/sympathy also ignores it via the "or be within 60 feet" clause.

yisopo
2022-10-31, 03:10 AM
Corran's post inspired me with this solution. We can cast Antipathy/Sympathy on our familiar! I think this solve the problem perfectly. So we have an Antipathy/Sympathy effect that can be paused out of combat and then it can be reactivated with an action without spending other resources.