PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating a face that is not my own

Gydian
2022-11-01, 01:36 PM
I'm making a new character for a campaign that is going to be the face of the party. We start at level 3. I am looking for any suggestions on making a character that is designed around the disguise self spell. I know Warlock has mask of many faces so that is an obvious choice but I'm not limited to it. The question is which subclass and homebrew is available. Or if anyone knows of a homebrew class that has this down better i'm all ears.

RogueJK
2022-11-01, 02:19 PM
While at-will Disguise Self from the Mask of Many Faces invocation is certainly handy, you're not locked into Warlock as a class if you want to be able to change your appearance at will.

There's the Eldritch Adept feat, which lets any character pick up the Mask of Many Faces invocation.

There's also the Changeling race, which gets the Shapechanger racial ability to change their appearance, size, and voice at will. While unlike Disguise Self it doesn't change your clothing, it's also not an illusion so it can't be discerned with an Investigation check like Disguise Self, and it has no time limit like Disguise Self's 1 hour duration.

A Changeling Eloquence Bard would make for a pretty ideal shapechanging Party Face. You have racial non-illusory Shapechanging at will, plus have access to Disguise Self as a Bard spell for times when you need to quick-change your clothing/equipment too. Plan to take the Actor feat, to add the ability to unerringly mimic people's voices (and also boost your CHA). Thanks to the Eloquence Bard's Expertise and Silver Tongue abilities, you'll have a hefty bonus to your Persuasion and Deception checks, and can never roll below a 10 starting at Level 3.

Naanomi
2022-11-01, 02:29 PM
The disguise abilities of an Assassin are often junk but... A charisma focused Changeling Assassin (use Magic Stone to have a charisma sneak attack) is a perfectly viable option

Greywander
2022-11-01, 03:00 PM
If someone is looking for something and they don't find it, often they'll want to keep looking. If they find something, the natural impulse is to stop looking, under the assumption they've found everything there is to hide. This is where a multi-layer disguise comes in. First, be a changeling and use their ability to change your appearance. Then wear a disguise on top of that. Then cast Disguise Self on top of that. Few people will think to look past the first layer, fewer still past the second, and almost no one will bother looking for a third layer. The order in which your disguises are layered can also misdirect people, making them think you're someone else in disguise. You might even be trying to get caught in order to mislead someone. You are playing a character who is playing a character who is playing a character, each layer a chance to make someone else think that a specific person or faction is behind your actions while your true identity remains secret.

Gydian
2022-11-01, 04:55 PM
I'm playing a warforged, the whole party is. I plan on being the 'human' face of the party. Changeling would be great but its not an option. I will be wearing a disguise kit, and the spell will mimic that, like the previous poster suggested. I am using this post as part of my search.

LostBenefit
2022-11-01, 09:16 PM
The Subtle Spell Metamagic that Sorcerers get at level 3 can allow you to ignore the verbal component of spells and cast them with only the somatic and/or material component. This is much easier to hide and may allow you to cast during a social encounter (e.g. Charm Person/Modify Memory) that you would otherwise fail.

Mastikator
2022-11-02, 02:35 AM
I don't suppose your DM would let you flavor a custom lineage as a more biological warforged?
Any class that gets spell casting from level 1 would let you take Eldritch Adept and get the invocation without being a warlock.

Otherwise you could just be a bard with the charlatan background, use either disguise kit or disguise self. At level 4 take the feat and save your spell slots.