PDA

View Full Version : Nonsense media discussion

Setra
2007-11-30, 08:58 PM
This is basically a thread to make guesses and connections, about shows and anime, or even games, that basically make no sense and serve only to humor.

For example:
Yagami Light from Death Note
Yagami Hikari from Digimon

Hikari translates as light.

Yagami Light.

OMGKARIHASADEATHNOTE!

DomaDoma
2007-11-30, 09:08 PM
Harry is a valid nickname for Henry. From the day I found this out, I couldn't hear of It's A Wonderful Life without inwardly sniggering.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-30, 09:20 PM
This idea is Older Than You Think (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/GrandUnifyingGuesses). See also individual entries for other theories, like my very favorite one, which involves the following:

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is a sequel to Neon Genesis Evangelion (almost every other Studio Gainax show also takes place in this continuity, though I haven't seen any of them). This explains

1. The numerous visual references: Rei and Asuka, the "wallpaper" of Ramiel skulls, Lord Genome's mech looking like a mini-Unit 01...
2. The reason behind the Human Instrumentality Project. It was an Anti-Spiral plot, fed to the leaders of SEELE, to wipe out the human race when they attempted to evolve/increase their Spiral Power.
3. Why humans have so very, very much Spiral Power in Gurren-Lagann: they're descended from those humans who had the willpower to force themselves out of Instrumentality. Congratulations, Shinji, you really did cause the evolution of the human race, albeit by regular old natural selection.

Anyway, I wish I had a theory that I came up with entirely on my own, but that'll need to wait so I can think about it.

ElfLad
2007-11-30, 09:31 PM
Harry is a valid nickname for Henry. From the day I found this out, I couldn't hear of It's A Wonderful Life without inwardly sniggering.

And a Happy New Year's to you... in Azkaban!

feghoot
2007-11-30, 11:41 PM
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is a sequel to Neon Genesis Evangelion (almost every other Studio Gainax show also takes place in this continuity, though I haven't seen any of them).

Yeah sure, and Ash is a pokemon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/Pokemon).

Hazkali
2007-12-01, 05:02 AM
And a Happy New Year's to you... in Azkaban!

Ok... Thog not get references.

Tengu
2007-12-01, 09:42 AM
This idea is Older Than You Think (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/GrandUnifyingGuesses).

Lies! Or at least partially. Jetsons being a sequel to Matrix and Kyon being The Doctor make perfect sense, but Ichimaru Gin is not Light! He's Vicent Law from Ergo Proxy who completely flipped out after death and became an albino - both of them have the permanently closed eyes! Kurotsuchi Mayuri is the guy that Spike was teaching martial arts in one episode of Cowboy Bebop... and since both Ergo Proxy and Bebop take time in the far future, and Bleach in present times, it means that time in Soul Society goes backwards! Which explains a lot.

Setra
2007-12-01, 11:49 AM
This idea is Older Than You Think (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/GrandUnifyingGuesses).
How do you know how old I supposedly thought the idea was?

Also, Fate Testarossa eventually becomes the Black Magician Girl from Yu-Gi-Oh

SurlySeraph
2007-12-01, 02:10 PM
I don't now how many people here are familiar with Hellsing (manga and anime), but I'll warrant that most of you are familiar with the Matrix.

Thomas "Neo" Anderson.

Father Alexander Anderson.

Think about it.

Neo is a hacker who through understanding of systems and confidence that he can break their rules learns to do superhuman feats. Alexander Anderson is a vampire-hunting religious fanatic who can do superhuman feats through blind faith. What do they have in common? Belief allows them to transcend normal reality.

In Matrix: Reloaded, they mentioned that stories of vampires and werewolves were inspired by beings from previous versions of the Matrix. Later in the movie, they mentioned that there has been an incarnation of the One in every version of the Matrix.

The vampires/ werewolves in the Matrix Reloaded are the Merovingian's servants. In Hellsing, the hyper-powerful vampire is Integra Hellsing's servant.

Conclusion: Hellsing takes place in an earlier version of the Matrix, Alexander Anderson is the One, and Integra is the Merovingian.

Guts
2007-12-01, 02:16 PM
^ Dude, good catch. What do you suppose the Major and the rest of Millenium and the Iscariot Org. are? i wonder if the major or Alucard could be Smith or some other polar opposite of the One?