PDA

View Full Version : Diaplomacy Build?

TheLogman
2007-11-30, 09:29 PM
What kinds of feats would one take in order to be a master of diplomacy? Skill focus Diplomacy and Negotiator are obvious, but while making character with some Exalted feats, I saw some that caught my eye, specifically Sacred Vow (+2 perfection bonus to Diplomacy), Nymph's kiss, and Vow of Peace, which would give a collective +13. Are there any other good feats one could take?

Also, since the concept of Diplomacy has intrigued me in the past week or so, my second question is as follows: What else do I need for a great Diplomacy build? Charisma boosting item, Tome, and masterwork items are all great. Are there any buffs/spells I can use, or any Bardic abilities, ect.?

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-30, 09:41 PM
Well, in terms of a build Bard, Factotum (Dungeonscape), Exemplar (CAdv) and Evangelist (CDiv). I don't have the books with me so I can't give good levels, but that's about it. Also, the Choker of Eloquence (I think that's what it's called) gives a bonus to Diplomacy. Remember its only a DC150 to get someone from Hostile to Fanatic and a mere DC50 to get from Hostile to Helpful, but always aim for the fanatics :smallbiggrin:

F.L.
2007-11-30, 09:46 PM
IIRC, the diplomonster build started with a half-elf bard and escalated from there. +128 or something bonus before items.

Gralamin
2007-11-30, 09:49 PM
What kinds of feats would one take in order to be a master of diplomacy? Skill focus Diplomacy and Negotiator are obvious, but while making character with some Exalted feats, I saw some that caught my eye, specifically Sacred Vow (+2 perfection bonus to Diplomacy), Nymph's kiss, and Vow of Peace, which would give a collective +13. Are there any other good feats one could take?

Also, since the concept of Diplomacy has intrigued me in the past week or so, my second question is as follows: What else do I need for a great Diplomacy build? Charisma boosting item, Tome, and masterwork items are all great. Are there any buffs/spells I can use, or any Bardic abilities, ect.?

Good start. To pick up a free Skill Focus Diplomacy, take 1 level of Marshall, and grab the Motivate Charisma ability while there. You now get Charisma x2 to your diplomacy.
Also grab 5 ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Sense Motive for a net +6 to diplomacy. Grab a Masterwork tool of Diplomacy If you can get away with it. (+2)

Assuming a Human who can take two flaws
Level 1: Marshall - Skill Focus Diplomacy (+3), Motivate Charisma
Feats:
1: Nymph's Kiss (+2)
H: Sacred Vow (+2)
F: Vow of Nonviolence
F: Vow of Peace (+4)
Masterwork tool of Diplomacy (+2)
Level 2: Any Charisma Based Class (Bard or Sorcerer recommended)
Skills/Ranks:
Diplomacy 5
Bluff 5 (+2)
Knowledge (Nobility) 5 (+2)
Sense Motive 5 (+2)
Level 3:
Feats: Negotiator (+2)
Skills: Diplomacy 6
Level 6:
Feats: Open Slot
Skills: Diplomacy 9
Total at level 6: 30+2xCharisma
Then focus on Charisma.
If your a Half-elf, drop all feats down one, and get 32+2x Charisma at level 6.

streakster
2007-11-30, 11:11 PM
Under no circumstances allow your DM to see the article about Diplomacy on this site. It will turn you from a diplomonster to a (shudder) normal bargainer.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-30, 11:16 PM
the best diplomancy build ever is def becoming a binder, only one level and you can bind yourself to a vestige so you can take +10 to your regular bonus, and you can rush it, so it can take a round instead of a few minutes, not to mention the disguise self at will, and the spell comand once every 5 rounds. simply amazing.

assassin8
2007-12-01, 12:25 AM

WTF!? There is no tool of dipomacy!

MrNexx
2007-12-01, 12:31 AM

Big stick?
Nuclear Weapons?
Small red dot wandering across your opponent's shirt/forehead?

horseboy
2007-12-01, 12:39 AM
Big stick?
Nuclear Weapons?
Small red dot wandering across your opponent's shirt/forehead?

Slinky cocktail dress.
Mascara of Puppy-dog Eyes
Dress Blues

Ganurath
2007-12-01, 12:46 AM
Bard has Diplomacy as a class skill, as well as all the skills that grant synergy bonuses to Diplomacy (Bluff, Sense Motive, and Knowledge [nobility & royalty]) up to +6. So, you can get a +11 modifier at L2, plus Cha anf feats.

Gralamin
2007-12-01, 12:47 AM

Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.
Thus, There is.

Also, Sornjss makes a good point. A 1 level dip into Binder will let you grab Naberius for skill mastery of diplomacy (Effectively giving you a +10 on your now-diplomacy score)

Alleine
2007-12-01, 01:16 AM
A one level dip into Warlock will get you an invocation giving a +6 untyped bonus to diplo, intimidate, and bluff. Very handy.

nerulean
2007-12-01, 06:14 AM
The spell Voice of the Dragon (Draconomicon, SpC) is also good for +10 diplomacy, intimidate and bluff, and a free Sugestion in emergencies.

icthius
2007-12-01, 09:17 AM
Thus, There is.

It says 'if any'.

AlterForm
2007-12-01, 10:21 AM
Jumplomancer (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=943738). FTW.

AmberVael
2007-12-01, 10:29 AM
Well, if you can get your DM to allow it...
Get an Item Familiar. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm)
Because investing skill slots can get you a bonus equal to your ranks in diplomacy. Which is certainly nothing to snivel at.

Attilargh
2007-12-01, 11:14 AM
Here's a copy of how I prefer to cheese out Diplomacy via only the PHB:

First, we'll take a Half-Elf for that racial +2 Diplomacy bonus. Point Buy with 25 points gives our Diplomancer a Charisma score of 18, five tens and a nine. For class, let's take Aristocrat, as it has Diplomacy as a class skill, and it's always more fun with an NPC class. Obviously we want to max out Diplomacy. Now let's set his age at, say, 126 years, giving him the Age category of Venerable and +3 to Charisma. Skill Focus: Diplomacy is a nice starting feat.

Then we begin our abuse of the synergy bonuses by maxing out Bluff, Knowledge (nobility & royalty) and Sense Motive. It doesn't have an effect yet, but one must be patient.

The Diplomacy modifier is now 2 (from being half-elf) +5 (from charisma) +4 (from ranks) +3 (from Skill Focus) = 14. Not bad for a 1st-level character; rolling a mere nine (which is statistically below average) turns that nasty, scheming viceroy away from plotting against you.

At level two we take a rank of Diplomacy, Bluff, Knowledge (n&r) and Sense Motive. That gives us a modifier of 14 +1 (rank) +6 (three synergy bonuses) = 21. Now we're talking.

At level three comes yet another rank, and we can take our next feat, Negotiator. Skill modifier is now 24. Ta-dah! From Hostile to Indifferent in a minute, without a chance of failure.
It was pointed out to me that if one takes the trait Honest along with some flaw to gain Negotiator at first level, one can do this in two levels.

Draz74
2007-12-01, 01:02 PM
Hooray for the Half-Elf Factotum 12 / Marshal 1 / Binder 1 / Warlock 1 / Exemplar 5 build ...

TheLogman
2007-12-01, 03:25 PM
Heh, ya, lotta dips, but hey, although you get less exp, it doesn't matter if you ever even level up at that point cept to get more ranks in diplomacy.