PDA

View Full Version : Battle Smith Artificer CC/Buff/Debuff options

AttilatheYeon
2022-11-02, 09:01 PM
So what are your favorite options for BS to CC/Buff/Debuff? I use Faerie Fire and Grease. What else should i be using?

Silpharon
2022-11-02, 11:43 PM
What level are you? Artificer has a lot of CC/Buff/Debuff spells, so it's hard to narrow down.

I always keep Sanctuary prepared. It's a great "oh crap" bonus action spell. I've used it to save an NPC as well as my own hide.

At level 5, Web provides most the benefits of Faerie Fire, plus restricted movement, so I dropped the latter. I actually like Pyrotechnics since it's non-concentration and can either blind a group or provide fog cloud cover. I also like Levitate to pick up a melee creature and let them flail while getting pelted by the party. Aid is an incredible buff, especially as you get higher spell slots; it can also be an in-combat ranged heal. Enhance Ability will be useful out of combat if you remember to use it. Invisibility is good for the rogue.

I haven't played a level 9 artificer yet, so I won't comment further, but Haste has to be one of the best buffs a battle smith could ask for!

Psyren
2022-11-03, 12:39 AM
"What spells should I be using" is a great question for a handbook (https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/artificer/spells/)

AttilatheYeon
2022-11-03, 01:43 AM
ATM i'm level 3. I'm just trying to get some ideas past what i've been already thinking of. I had already considered web. Pyrotechnics wasn't on my radar, but it is now. Thanks for that.

Silpharon
2022-11-03, 08:23 AM
ATM i'm level 3. I'm just trying to get some ideas past what i've been already thinking of. I had already considered web. Pyrotechnics wasn't on my radar, but it is now. Thanks for that.

Have a homunculus servant carry a lantern, then you've got your non-magical flame source for Pyrotechnics.

AttilatheYeon
2022-11-03, 09:49 AM
Have a homunculus servant carry a lantern, then you've got your non-magical flame source for Pyrotechnics.

I haven't even started to think about the nonmagic fire requirement for pyrotechnics.