PDA

View Full Version : Item Alteration and Inherent Bonus tomes

flappeercraft
2022-11-02, 10:45 PM
So I was wondering as to how these two would interact.

Say for instance a Tome of Clear Thought "If anyone reads this book, which takes a total of 48 hours over a minimum of six days, she gains an inherent bonus of from +1 to +5 (depending on the type of tome) to her Intelligence score. Once the book is read, the magic disappears from the pages and it becomes a normal book."

If we add Item Alteration from an artificer just when someone else is about to finish reading one could change the type of the bonus to lets say a dodge bonus. Would that work? What would be the implications?

So far I have had someone bring up this line from wish "Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled." claiming it would result in an undeterminable duration and also in the effect being dispellable. What are your thoughts on this possible interaction.

What does the playground think?

Darg
2022-11-02, 11:05 PM
So I was wondering as to how these two would interact.

Say for instance a Tome of Clear Thought "If anyone reads this book, which takes a total of 48 hours over a minimum of six days, she gains an inherent bonus of from +1 to +5 (depending on the type of tome) to her Intelligence score. Once the book is read, the magic disappears from the pages and it becomes a normal book."

If we add Item Alteration from an artificer just when someone else is about to finish reading one could change the type of the bonus to lets say a dodge bonus. Would that work? What would be the implications?

So far I have had someone bring up this line from wish "Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled." claiming it would result in an undeterminable duration and also in the effect being dispellable. What are your thoughts on this possible interaction.

What does the playground think?

The line from wish is wish specific because the spell asks you to see text for the duration of the spell.

Even if we say that it works, it would only work for the duration of the Item Alteration. The book's bonus is instantaneous, but the alteration is not.

Biggus
2022-11-03, 12:27 AM
You couldn't make it a dodge bonus, because they only apply to AC and reflex saves (PHB p.307). Morale and circumstance bonuses should work though.

flappeercraft
2022-11-03, 12:44 AM
You couldn't make it a dodge bonus, because they only apply to AC and reflex saves (PHB p.307). Morale and circumstance bonuses should work though.

Huh, I didn't know of that specific line. Strangely enough, that page also says that spells never give dodge bonuses to AC and yet Haste does?

Biggus
2022-11-03, 01:17 AM
Huh, I didn't know of that specific line. Strangely enough, that page also says that spells never give dodge bonuses to AC and yet Haste does?

Yes, there's a conflict between the PHB and the DMG there: the DMG (p.21) says spells and items "occasionally" grant dodge bonuses. I'm not sure which is considered the primary source: neither were errata'd. Given that in 3.0 spells and items didn't give dodge bonuses, I'd guess the PHB version is something they forgot to change when they updated to 3.5.

AFAIK there's nothing elsewhere which contradicts the part about dodge bonuses only applying to AC and reflex saves.