PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Crossbow Bayonets: Do they work with a repeating crossbow?

thorr-kan
2022-11-03, 01:34 PM
CompScoundrel is silent. Was this picked up anywhere else, or in Pathfinder 1E?

wilphe
2022-11-03, 03:26 PM
Why wouldn't they?

They don't get in the way of operating one

Thurbane
2022-11-03, 03:39 PM
Well, if we're going 100% RAW, the write-up only mentions that they can be attached to light or heavy crossbows.

I don't think there would be any issue allowing them for repeating crossbows as well.

Darg
2022-11-03, 03:59 PM
Well, if we're going 100% RAW, the write-up only mentions that they can be attached to light or heavy crossbows.

I don't think there would be any issue allowing them for repeating crossbows as well.

If we go 100% RAW, repeating crossbows, whether heavy or light, are the exact same weapon by the description. The other option is that a light repeating crossbow is a light crossbow by reference, even if not mechanically (makes the repeating crossbows actually useful exotic weapons).

Thurbane
2022-11-04, 12:28 AM
If we go 100% RAW, repeating crossbows, whether heavy or light, are the exact same weapon by the description.

How do you figure that? They have different costs, different weights, and require different proficiencies.

Am I missing something obvious?

Darg
2022-11-04, 11:18 AM
How do you figure that? They have different costs, different weights, and require different proficiencies.

Am I missing something obvious?

Text takes precedence over tables. Repeating crossbow is a single item under the description. As in there aren’t separate entries for light or heavy repeating crossbows. It's basically taking the errata too literally. In the same fashion, I think taking light or heavy adjectives too literally to only mean specifically light or heavy crossbows even though common parlance is used commonly elsewhere in the rules to refer to different things is an incorrect assumption. This is also relevant when discussing shields and their spiked variants. A heavy spiked shield is still a heavy shield for example even though they take up different spots in the weapons table.

thorr-kan
2022-11-05, 11:40 AM
Mainly I ask because I'm entertained by the vision in my head of gnomish archers (repeating crossbows being inextricably linked to gnomes in my head; it's a 2E thing; don't ask) with their sergeant yelling, "Fix bayonets!" as they prepare to charge.

Thanks, all.