PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed List of spells and psionic powers that grant a bonus to skill checks?

redking
2022-11-04, 07:21 AM
Is there a list of spells and psionic powers that grant a bonus to skill checks?

Biggus
2022-11-04, 06:27 PM
I've seen handbooks for individual skills but not a general list. Was there something in particular you were looking for?

Ramza00
2022-11-04, 11:57 PM
Are we including Dragon, Pathfinder, Dreamscarred Press, etc, etc?

I am a big fan of the versatility of the DSP psionic power Mind Palace since it is so versatile, it scales for skills but also works for other things, and it also an immediate action.

That said Cleric / Archivist is best for skills if we are going single class.

Gruftzwerg
2022-11-05, 03:52 AM
I'm not aware of a list.

The most 2 common suggested spells are Guidance of the Avatar (+20 competence bonus) and Divine Insight (up to +15 insight bonus). But those sole work on a single roll.

The real hidden gem here is imho

"Loresong": (Dragon 335)

Divination
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

You gain temporary mastery in a skill, even one that you have never studied before. When you complete this spell, select a single skill (other than Speak Language). You gain a +4 competence bonus on all checks with it, with an additional +1 bonus for every 2 caster levels, and you may use it untrained.
Loresong isn't limited to a single roll but buffs for the skill for the entire duration. And the best part is, you can persist it^^

redking
2022-11-05, 05:01 AM
Are we including Dragon, Pathfinder, Dreamscarred Press, etc, etc?

I am a big fan of the versatility of the DSP psionic power Mind Palace since it is so versatile, it scales for skills but also works for other things, and it also an immediate action.

Anything 3.5 and published by WotC or licensed is fine (except for Kingdoms of Kalamar).

I'm not aware of a list.

The most 2 common suggested spells are Guidance of the Avatar (+20 competence bonus) and Divine Insight (up to +15 insight bonus). But those sole work on a single roll.

The real hidden gem here is imho

"Loresong": (Dragon 335)

Loresong isn't limited to a single roll but buffs for the skill for the entire duration. And the best part is, you can persist it^^

Loresong looks good. I had forgotten about that one.

I've seen handbooks for individual skills but not a general list. Was there something in particular you were looking for?

I am trying to figure out what kind of spells/powers NPCs might use to boost their skill checks.

bean illus
2022-11-05, 07:52 AM

Of course chameleon gets all those spells.

I am trying to figure out what kind of spells/powers NPCs might use to boost their skill checks.

Aid another? Bardic knack acf? Luck rolls? Ability modifiers?
What kind of npcs? Boosting existing npcs, or commoners, or new antagonist?

These are on the bard list.

CM Combined Talent:Allows one subject to use the skill ranks of a second subject in place of her own.

CM Immediate Assistance:Allow subject to reroll a skill check.

Core Heroism:Gives +2 on attack rolls, saves, skill checks.

CM Mask of the Ideal:Gain +4 bonus on skill checks.

PHBII Insight of Good Fortune: Subject rolls twice, takes best result.

PHBII Master’s Touch:Subject gains immediate +4 bonus on a skill check.

CAd Accelerated Movement:Take no speed penalty when using Balance, Climb, or Move Silently.

PHBII Alter Fortune:Cause one creature to reroll any die roll.

Biggus
2022-11-05, 09:08 AM
OK then, some others which haven't been mentioned:

Improvisation (Bd1, SpC) gives an uncapped luck bonus to skills, and is persistable

Good Hope (Bd 1, PHB) and Ray of Hope (Bd 1, C1, BoED) both give a +2 morale bonus

Obviously anything which boosts the relevant ability score, list here: https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=19943.0

MultitudeMan
2022-11-05, 10:37 AM
Ancient Knowledge (Magic of Eberron) is a level 1 arcane spell for many lists that gives a 1-off +5 Insight bonus to a Knowledge check when discharged.

Ramza00
2022-11-05, 11:13 AM
The Chronomancer Day Scheduler guide is a separate guide about 3.5 time magic, but I am posting some of the spells from that list. https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?166492-The-Chronomancer-s-Day-Scheduler-%28Time-Magic%29

1st level spells:
- Accelerate Movement – SpC P 7 (Brd, Rng, Wiz/Sor): Able to keep your normal speed while climbing, tumbling, etc.
- Instant Locksmith - SpC p 153 (Asn, Wiz/Sor): Swift Action, to instantly pick a lock.
- Instant Search - SpC p 153 (Asn, Rng, Wiz/Sor): Swift Action, to instantly make a search check.
- Skilled Moment - Dr#350, p78 (Brd, Sor/Wiz): Consider the limitless possibilities of the future and take 20 on a skill check.

8th level spells:
- Moment of Prescience - PHB P 255 (Beg, Wiz/Sor, Psi): Your vague sense of how event are about to play out grant you a supreme number of bonuses and abilities.

CM Immediate Assistance:Allow subject to reroll a skill check.
(Adds another for Bean made a good list)

Benediction is a similar spell on the Cleric list (Immediate Assistance also Cleric). Benediction is a long term buff that lasts 10 mins per level for this 2nd level spell from Complete Champion. Gives a +2 Luck Bonus to saves constantly. But it can be discharge at any time after seeing a d20 roll on the following things (a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check) and you can get a free action reroll before final success or failure is declared.

darkdragoon
2022-11-06, 01:41 AM
Glibness (Bluff)
Invisibility (Hide)
Jump (...)

CChamp
Master Cavalier (Ride)
Surge of Fortune