PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Slowing down ASI progression while giving out more feats

Greywander
2022-11-05, 03:15 PM
UPDATE:
Based on a post from another user, I think I've found a houserule even simpler and easier to use that the one that was originally here in the OP. It's in a post just a little ways down, but I thought I'd add it to the OP since most people might not bother scrolling down. Here's the simpler rule:

You gain +1 to one ability score on every even level (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.). This scales with character level, not class level. ASIs are unchanged, but default to a feat instead of an ASI. Ability scores are capped at 14 + proficiency bonus.

This does basically everything I wanted it to do, and without needing special exceptions. Simple and straightforward.
END UPDATE, ROLL ORIGINAL POST:

I don't think I've done a formal writeup of this houserule, but it's one I'm looking forward to using at some point. Previous threads: One (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?642263-Replacing-ASIs-with-1-to-two-different-stats-and-a-feat) and Two (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?649659-You-SHOULD-double-up-on-ASIs-feats).

Here's a quick summary of the background for this houserule:

I've voiced my concerns with the ASI mechanic before, but it basically comes down to:

You max out your primary stat early (8th level, sometimes even 4th level on e.g. a Custom Lineage). This makes the power curve wonky.
Feats are usually delayed until 12th level or later so you can max out your primary stat. Even build-critical feats. Especially concept-critical feats.
I never feel like I have enough feats. Goes double for MAD builds.
MAD builds in general get kind of screwed over. They typically don't max both stats until 16th level, so they lag behind SAD builds.
Optimized builds often have little room for tertiary stats.

You can see the links above for further details on why the houserule exists. The one specific thing I want to call out, though, is that the game is balanced around not having feats (they are an optional rule), and this is reflected in the design of SAD and MAD classes. So part of what I'm trying to do is restore the balance of a featless game while still being able to have feats.

Here's the actual houserule:

Ability Score Increase Replacement
Whenever you gain the Ability Score Increase feature from your class, its normal effects are replaced with the following.

When you gain this feature, you can increase one ability score by 1, and a different ability score by 1, up to a maximum of 20. You also gain a feat of your choice. If that feat increases one of your ability scores, it must also be a different ability score from the ones you are increasing with this feature.

If you meet certain requirements, then the restriction that the ability scores being increased must be different is lifted, allowing a single ability score to be increased by 2 or even by 3. An ability score can be increased this way up to a certain value. That value starts at 15 at 1st level and increases by 1 each time you gain the Ability Score Increase feature. For example, when you gain the Ability Score Increase feature at 4th level, you can increase an ability score by more than 1 up to a maximum of 16, otherwise ability scores equal to or greater than 16 can only be increased by 1.

In other words, you either get +1 to two different stats and a feat, or with a half feat, +1 to three different stats. If a stat is so low that you could never max it out with just +1s, then you can combine your +1s to boost it more quickly and get caught up.

The biggest winners with this houserule are MAD classes, like monks and paladins. Now you can boost both your primary and secondary stats and still get five feats. Nobody really loses with this tweak, but SAD classes benefit the least. They get a couple more feats and more points for secondary and tertiary stats, but have to wait longer to max their primary stat. Half feats also decrease in value because they no longer contribute to primary or secondary stats. I mean, you can still take a half feat that boosts a primary stat, but that will then force you to put a stat point in a tertiary stat, rather than being able to double up. Since half feats were typically stronger than many full feats, I think this helps to make them a bit more balanced.

The general assumption is that you'll start with primary and secondary stats at 15 or higher, and boost them by 1 each time you get an ASI, occasionally dumping a +1 into a tertiary stat if you take a half feat. However, I had to also consider that a character could radically change focus mid-campaign, for any number of reasons. Thus I wanted to have a way to play catch-up with lower stats. With only 5 ASIs and only being able to put +1 in a stat per ASI, any stat that starts at less than 15 becomes impossible to max out, and this gets worse the more ASIs you skip boosting that stat. So the exception that allows you to increase a stat by 2 or 3 more or less allows you to catch up a stat so that you can just barely max it out by 19th level.

Here's a summary from the oldest thread I proposed this idea in:

So, as a simple alternative, what I'm proposing is that an ASI give a +1 to two different stats, and you also get a feat on top. This has the following benefits over the vanilla system:

Slows down primary ability score progression so that you're building it up for most of your adventuring career instead of capping it early.
SAD and MAD builds progress at the same rate.
Get build- and/or concept-critical feats early.
Everyone gets more feats, but MAD builds especially. A lot of feats that get passed over due to lack of budget might see more use in play.
Since you're not giving up ASIs for feats, and you have more opportunities to take half feats, you get a little more room for tertiary stats.

While I'm sure there are some issues that this house rule could cause, I think it's generally a good thing that will improve the game.

JNAProductions
2022-11-05, 04:12 PM
I’m not sure I would use this… but for your stated goals and general game balance, I think it’s a great rule.

animorte
2022-11-05, 04:20 PM
I have tested out a simpler method: gaining one ability point at each level, applied wherever desired. ASI levels strictly for feats.

JNAProductions
2022-11-05, 05:52 PM
I have tested out a simpler method: gaining one ability point at each level, applied wherever desired. ASI levels strictly for feats.

That’s a pretty significant buff.

Greywander’s system doubles ASIs, but forces them to spread out.
Your system triples ASIs, and you get them faster and earlier too.

Greywander
2022-11-05, 07:41 PM
I’m not sure I would use this… but for your stated goals and general game balance, I think it’s a great rule.
No houserule is for everyone. I'm glad it looks like a good fit for my stated goals.

Yeah, even my system is a decent buff (though ASIs give diminishing returns as you max out the important stats and have to start putting points into less useful stats).

A nice, simple middle ground might be that you get +1 to a stat every other level (either even or odd, maybe even so you don't get one at 1st level), and ASIs now only give feats. Furthermore, stats are capped at 14 + proficiency bonus.

This way, you get +10 stat points total, a feat for every ASI, and the cap forces you to spread points out, so it ends up very similar to my system in the OP. Interestingly, it also means that increasing ability scores can be fully decoupled from class features, so multiclassing would have no impact on how many or when you get those +1s, though it could cause you to lose out on a feat. Giving a stat point on even levels also helps offset the fact that a lot of big class features come on odd levels (e.g. Extra Attack, higher level spells, etc.).

Huh, I might actually like this better than what I wrote in the OP.

animorte
2022-11-05, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I think I misread a bit of the description.

A nice, simple middle ground might be that you get +1 to a stat every other level (either even or odd, maybe even so you don't get one at 1st level), and ASIs now only give feats…
After my concept was pointed out and I looked again, this was immediately going to be my next suggestion, precisely.

Furthermore, stats are capped at 14 + proficiency bonus.
Nothing wrong with that.

I actually have worked on a system adjustment I brought up the other day (about skills) that makes the ability score modifiers equivalent to the ability score - 10 (basically 8 = -2, 13 = +3, etc.) and increasing proficiency modifier to half level (1-10 instead of 2-6). All other progression continues to function as normal. I don’t believe that suits your purposes though.