PDA

View Full Version : fear-based melee class

Doresain
2007-12-01, 12:15 AM
a while back i tried to make a fighter that was completely about being the big bad intimidating guy wielding an axe and dressed head-to-toe in spiked armor...unfortunately the only intimidating part about him was the maxed out intimidate skill, which got little to no play...

i was just wondering if there was a way to make a guy that was so terrifying to the baddies, that simply looking at him would force will saves against fear and what not...feats? skill tricks? magic item abilities?

edit: this is for a completely melee build...no spellcasting please!

Reinboom
2007-12-01, 12:26 AM
I actually just recently built a gestalt character nicknamed 'fear' for someone...
Options:
Hellbred race, using body and taking a bunch of devil touched feats with high charisma, specifically, the one that lets you generate an aura of fear.
Hellbred are quite unsettling looking (though, are usually good), get a +2 bonus to intimidate, and get free devil touched feats, which can make you even more 'scary'.

Never outnumbered skill trick in complete scoundrel - lets you use intimidate on multiple targets at once.

Also: Frightful Presence (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Frightful_Presence,Dr)

Doresain
2007-12-01, 12:33 AM
hmmm...i may need to remake this fear tank

hellbred from FC2?

Roderick_BR
2007-12-01, 12:35 AM
The two classes that como to mind are Blackguard with his Aura of Despair, and Complete Warrior's Samurai with his screaming Frightful presence.
Ah, barbarians can get the Intimidating Rage feat, and I think there's a few feats that allow you to use Intimidate to make a target shaken in Complete Warrior and Player's 2.
In Tome of Battle, it suggests a new use for the Intimidate skill to make a "staring contest" to see if you can make the other guy unconfortable.
I need to read more, but there may have maneuvers in ToB that can cause fear effects too.

Reinboom
2007-12-01, 12:41 AM
hmmm...i may need to remake this fear tank

hellbred from FC2?

Oh, yes, Hellbred is Fiendish Codex 2... page 78.

For a tank, it gets +2 con (for the body aspect) too. It's a pretty nifty race.

Doresain
well in d20 modern there are two feats that i really liked...frightful presence (worked differently than the RotD version) and renown...the FP from d20 modern just gave you like a 10' fear aura at a DC equal to 10+CHA mod, and renown gives you a +5 to that DC...

the idea was, your character is so well-known for being a scary dude, that people would actually become shaken just for being within his presence...thats kind of what i wanted to go for, but couldn't find any actual DnD feats that did that

VerdugoExplode
Intimidating strike from the PHB II.
You hit them and can make an intimidate check to make them shaken for the rest of combat.

Ganurath
Races of Destiny has a half-orc PrC specialized in intimidating. Also, there are plenty of feats for half-orcs to boost intimidate. Not to mention a few of Complete Warrior's feats.. the Kiai Shout chain?

hamstard4ever
2007-12-01, 12:43 AM
Avenging Executioner from Complete Scoundrel throws around fear effects like nobody's business. Basically you can force so many fear checks that after a round or two or fighting, pretty much any mooks in the battle (HD equal or lower to yours) are going to be peeing their pants. Best part is, there's no annoying limitations about targets only being affected once every 24 hours, and no restrictions on stacking fear effects.

Doresain
2007-12-01, 12:43 AM
Oh, yes, Hellbred is Fiendish Codex 2... page 78.

For a tank, it gets +2 con (for the body aspect) too. It's a pretty nifty race.

im gunna have to get that one

Doresain
2007-12-01, 12:44 AM
Avenging Executioner from Complete Scoundrel throws around fear effects like nobody's business. Basically you can force so many fear checks that after a round or two or fighting, pretty much any mooks in the battle (HD equal or lower to yours) are going to be peeing their pants. Best part is, there's no annoying limitations about targets only being affected once every 24 hours, and no restrictions on stacking fear effects.

ah jeez, how could i have forgotten this one?

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-01, 01:00 AM
Avenging Executioner is pretty solid, though as I recall it gets a lot more synergy with rogues/ninja than fighters.

EDIT: Incidentally, the AE can't be used with hellbred, since the former must be nongood and the latter can't be anything but.

Jack Zander
2007-12-01, 01:15 AM
It's 3.0 but ki shout from Oriental Adventures let's you shout to make a creature shaken for the rest of the encounter and there is a greater ki shout to do something else I think.

The_Snark
2007-12-01, 01:37 AM
Avenging Executioner is pretty solid, though as I recall it gets a lot more synergy with rogues/ninja than fighters.

EDIT: Incidentally, the AE can't be used with hellbred, since the former must be nongood and the latter can't be anything but.

Hellbred can be nongood. Nothing says they can't fall again. The sample hellfire warlock in the book is a NE hellbred.

The Scarlet Corsair probably isn't quite the archetype you're looking for, but its 9th-level ability is perfect for a fear-inspiring fighter.

There's also an ambush feat called Terrifying Strike; give up 1d6 sneak attack to render the target shaken for 1 round (doesn't stack with other fear effects, unfortunately). It's from Drow of the Underdark, I believe... there's also a feat in the same book that renders your demoralizing attempts a lot better—instead of being shaken for a round, the target cowers for a round and then is shaken for a round. Very good feat when combined with any ability that lets you demoralize foes as a move action; even better with the Scarlet Corsair's ability to demoralize all nearby foes as a move action.

Intimidating Strike from PHBII is worth looking into, too. It doesn't stack with itself, but it does stack with other fear effects.

Dhavaer
2007-12-01, 01:44 AM
Ghost Faced Killer, from Complete Adventurer, is a fear-based melee PrC.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-01, 01:52 AM
a simple trick is to hat of disguise into something that is pretty scary...can you become a wight like that? Maybe look like some sort of hideous thing...

Also, what about a magic item that casts a fear effect when you are in combat or brandish it or something?

Doresain
2007-12-01, 01:58 AM
a simple trick is to hat of disguise into something that is pretty scary...can you become a wight like that? Maybe look like some sort of hideous thing...

Also, what about a magic item that casts a fear effect when you are in combat or brandish it or something?

with the character in question, i wanted him to be fairly intimidating on his own...he was a pit fighter that made a name for himself by being overly brutal (impaling unarmed opponents with the spike on his axe, breaking them in half over his back, etc) thus the whole fear thing would be (fluff wise) more his reputation than magic items or spells

Dhavaer
2007-12-01, 02:15 AM
with the character in question, i wanted him to be fairly intimidating on his own...he was a pit fighter that made a name for himself by being overly brutal (impaling unarmed opponents with the spike on his axe, breaking them in half over his back, etc) thus the whole fear thing would be (fluff wise) more his reputation than magic items or spells

Some of the Ghost Faced Killer's abilities might be good with that; save DCs get a bonus from Power Attack damage.

Ganurath
2007-12-01, 02:29 AM
Ghost Faced Killer, from Complete Adventurer, is a fear-based melee PrC....With disturbing synergy in both prerequisites and abilities with the Avenging Executioner. Take any max BAB class with Intimidate as a class skill, and max crossclass with Hide/MS to go with Intimidate so you can get Avenging Executioner. Get 4 ranks in Concentration by L10, and go Ghost-Faced the rest of the way. Complete Warrior's Hexblade seems the best base class, since that encourages a high Cha for the AE's abilities, and allows you to get the Concentration ranks early.

As for Feats... Improved Initiative and Power Attack are musts to qualify for the GFK, so I would advise going along the Power Attack chain. The Cleave feats would be especially fun when dealing with hordes of opponents, especially when combined with the AE's fifth level ability that frightens nearby foes whenever you drop someone. Leap Attack has potential to make a strong opening, especially if you follow the Shock Trooper chain to become a master of shaping the battlefield. Finally, Practiced Spellcaster+Improved Familiar on the Hexblade build can get you at least half the options, all if the half caster level rounds up by level 9, providing a solid flanker to start the sudden strike nightmare.

Edit: If there's psionics, the Crystal Mask of Dread grants +10 to Intimidate and goes great with the GFK PrC.

Doresain
2007-12-01, 10:32 AM
...With disturbing synergy in both prerequisites and abilities with the Avenging Executioner. Take any max BAB class with Intimidate as a class skill, and max crossclass with Hide/MS to go with Intimidate so you can get Avenging Executioner. Get 4 ranks in Concentration by L10, and go Ghost-Faced the rest of the way. Complete Warrior's Hexblade seems the best base class, since that encourages a high Cha for the AE's abilities, and allows you to get the Concentration ranks early.

As for Feats... Improved Initiative and Power Attack are musts to qualify for the GFK, so I would advise going along the Power Attack chain. The Cleave feats would be especially fun when dealing with hordes of opponents, especially when combined with the AE's fifth level ability that frightens nearby foes whenever you drop someone. Leap Attack has potential to make a strong opening, especially if you follow the Shock Trooper chain to become a master of shaping the battlefield. Finally, Practiced Spellcaster+Improved Familiar on the Hexblade build can get you at least half the options, all if the half caster level rounds up by level 9, providing a solid flanker to start the sudden strike nightmare.

Edit: If there's psionics, the Crystal Mask of Dread grants +10 to Intimidate and goes great with the GFK PrC.

this build sounds so delicious...

Ganurath
2007-12-01, 10:42 AM
this build sounds so delicious...But wait, there's more! Since the build has five levels of Hexblade, that means access to magic such as Scroll of Greater Invisibility before an ambush and casting Phantom Threat into your Keen Spell Storing axe so that the follow-up attack on the initial assault gets a flanking bonus and guaranteed sudden strike damage. It's not built toward casting, but it's enough buff to make the Masked Avenger even more intimidating.

As for the backstory... the guy's a pit fighter who seemed extraordinarily lucky in combat, which allowed him to make his extravagent strikes, but in reality he was using his inate hexblade magic to make his foes less fortunate. Those in charge of the pit fights started rigging them against him until he was finally dropped below 0. Dropped outside the arena, he managed to stablize and recover on his own and has taken up adventuring so that he may become strong enough to get revenge.

F.L.
2007-12-01, 10:45 AM
Well, you could do CW samurai, they're fear based...

They put fear into the hearts of any player, the fear of playing a CW samurai.

AmberVael
2007-12-01, 10:52 AM
Well, you could do CW samurai, they're fear based...

They put fear into the hearts of any player, the fear of playing a CW samurai.

"Oh god, what am I doing?! Oh god! I'm gonna DIE!"
Yeah. Though samurai are fear based...
It's kind of like being a ranger for the spells.

Doresain
2007-12-01, 11:06 AM
"Oh god, what am I doing?! Oh god! I'm gonna DIE!"
Yeah. Though samurai are fear based...
It's kind of like being a ranger for the spells.

or monk for the...ummm...jackie chan flavor?

Ganurath
2007-12-01, 11:12 AM
or monk for the...ummm...jackie chan flavor?No, no, Monks are all about the bonus feats!

Seriously, though, I strongly advise going with the Masked Avenger build. Delicious devastation and discord in a destruction design, done without dropping to dishing out the Wand of Fear.

Doresain
2007-12-01, 02:52 PM
so a good level-by-level build for lets say, a 7th level character in FR would be?

SadisticFishing
2007-12-01, 02:56 PM
Acolyte of the Ego (ToM) and Ghost-faced Killer (CAdv) both seem to be what you're looking for. The Acolyte is actually a lot stronger than it looks.

Ganurath
2007-12-01, 03:05 PM
1-5: Human Hexblade, Improved Initiative and Power Attack at 1st, Improved Bull Rush at 3rd, and Spell Focus (Illusion) as the bonus feat at 5th. Max ranks in Intimidate, Hide, and Move Silently while investing as you can in Concentration. Spells to pick are Phantom Threat for the Spell Storing weapon and Distract Assailant for quicker solutions.
5-10: Avenging Executioner, continuing to advance in Intimidate, Hide, and Move Silently. Concentration 4 ranks by 10 is a must. feats to take at 6th and 9th are Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar, respectively.
11+: Ghost-Faced Killer, working toward Shock Trooper and the Cleave chain with feats.

At 7th level, you'll have 5d10 and 2d8 for HD, BAB +6 for two attacks, the ability to Intimidate as a move action rather than standard, as well as some magic-resistence from the hexblade levels (Mettle, Cha to all saves vs spells, strong Will save)

Doresain
2007-12-01, 03:08 PM
1-5: Human Hexblade, Improved Initiative and Power Attack at 1st, Improved Bull Rush at 3rd, and Spell Focus (Illusion) as the bonus feat at 5th. Max ranks in Intimidate, Hide, and Move Silently while investing as you can in Concentration. Spells to pick are Phantom Threat for the Spell Storing weapon and Distract Assailant for quicker solutions.
5-10: Avenging Executioner, continuing to advance in Intimidate, Hide, and Move Silently. Concentration 4 ranks by 10 is a must. feats to take at 6th and 9th are Practiced Spellcaster and Improved Familiar, respectively.
11+: Ghost-Faced Killer, working toward Shock Trooper and the Cleave chain with feats.

At 7th level, you'll have 5d10 and 2d8 for HD, BAB +6 for two attacks, the ability to Intimidate as a move action rather than standard, as well as some magic-resistence from the hexblade levels (Mettle, Cha to all saves vs spells, strong Will save)

neat...thank you sir

Brawls
2007-12-01, 03:38 PM
. . .

In Tome of Battle, it suggests a new use for the Intimidate skill to make a "staring contest" to see if you can make the other guy unconfortable.
I need to read more, but there may have maneuvers in ToB that can cause fear effects too.

You're referring to a "Battle of Wills" that the Warblade class has access to. I think I prefer "straring contest" as you state. My GM and I decided to drop this bit of fluff as needless for our campaign.

WRT the original topic, the BoW does not have a fear effect, simply gives the character a +2 / -2 to attacks if he succeeds / fails.

Brawls

Doresain
2007-12-01, 11:29 PM
what are the requisites for AE? i dont have my book right now

Ganurath
2007-12-02, 12:38 AM
what are the requisites for AE? i dont have my book right nowIt's in complete Scoundrel... 4 ranks in Hide and Move Silently, 6 in Intimidate, BAB +5, an RP based requirement involving being wronged, and the same alignment limitations as the Hexblade.

herrhauptmann
2007-12-02, 07:49 AM
I don't have it handy, but there are some useful fear effect feats in Libris Mortis. Unfortunately I think you need teh undead subtype for the best of them.

Doresain
2007-12-02, 11:01 AM
I don't have it handy, but there are some useful fear effect feats in Libris Mortis. Unfortunately I think you need teh undead subtype for the best of them.

which could easily be solved by necropolitan

Kami2awa
2007-12-02, 11:27 AM
There could be a quality for magic weapons/armour that gives them fear effects. A magic fear mask would be nice... the idea of magic masks in general creeps me out.

A magic mask that caused fear and emulated the power of the Darkskull item (permanently Unhallow effect surrounds it) would be really nasty for an evil cleric... could be Minor Artefact territory. Homebrew a deity of fear and play a cleric of it; the Ancient Greeks had a god of fear (Phobos) who was the son of Ares.

Egill
2007-12-02, 01:59 PM
I would pick up Hexblade as the core class.

If you are a human, you can take these feats:

(Both require 13 cha and +1 BAB)
Daunting Presence from Libris Mortis - Standard Action to shake an opponent, which is not limited by HD! Shaken for 10 minutes!
Dreadful Wrath from PHB to Faerun - charge/full attack/spell casting grants you the frightful presence ability usable for one round. No HD limit on targets!

I agree with the other posters, try to work your way into the Avenging Executioner PrC and the Ghostfaced Killer PrC (if you are evil or if you DM allows it).

Someone else mentioned the practiced spellcaster feat, that would be a nice option.

Curse/fear/Surprise Attack. Sounds like a big ol' bundle of fun.

Edited for Hexblade, because I got my duskblade and hexblade mixed up -_-

dyslexicfaser
2007-12-02, 02:04 PM
The duskblade is generally considered better than the hexblade, but you'd get more synergy out of the hexblade's cha casting stat than the duskblade's int.

obscure_ftw
2007-12-02, 06:14 PM
Not to take the character in an entirely different (and less shock-troopery) direction, but Combat Panache from PH2 allows you to demoralize an opponent to the tune of a penalty equal to your CHA bonus to one enemy for as long as you choose to.

It does not stack with shaken though...so I don't know if dropping their attack rolls is quite that important to you.

Doresain
2007-12-02, 09:22 PM
i wonder...would anti-paladin be a better route than hexblade? id get the same weapon proficiencies, the same amount of skill points and the same two required skills...the trade off from hexblade is less spells, better armor, an aura that lowers peoples saves vs fear and a mount (and slaughter the weak...wasnt worth mentioning though)...

Roderick_BR
2007-12-03, 06:09 AM
I was flipping through the Magic Item Compendium, and there's two magic armors that can cause fear effects on enemies, one with a fixed DC, and other with DC based on then wearer's charisma. If you can get yourself a copy of the MIC, check these out.

Person_Man
2007-12-03, 10:40 AM
Hexblade 4/Monk 2/Disciple of the Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=2) 2/Avenging Executioner 1/Whatever 11

Mettle, Evasion, great Saves, and your enemy has to Save vs. Fear 1-3 times every time you attack them. Definitely take the Frightful Presence feat. I'm a fan of Blackguard or anything that gives you Turn/Rebuke Undead (since you need high Cha, you might as well use Divine feats) for Whatever, but other things work as well.

Fear is great. But tons of enemies are immune to Fear. So its best not to invest a too heavily in it, especially at high levels. Diversify with spells, psionics, ToB, Power Attack feats, etc.

Craig1f
2007-12-03, 10:40 AM
There is a Frightful Presence feat in either Draconimicon, Races of Dragons, or Dragon Magic. I think it's in Draconimicon. There are two versions, the "for dragons only" version, and the normal player feat version.

I believe the feat is triggered whenever you attack, and anything within 30' has to make a class/charisma based save or be shaken.

The dragon version is better ... creatures with very few hit die can become panicked. This feat has no effect on creatures with more hit die than the player though.

Doresain
2007-12-03, 10:46 AM
Hexblade 4/Monk 2/Disciple of the Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=2) 2/Avenging Executioner 1/Whatever 11

Mettle, Evasion, great Saves, and your enemy has to Save vs. Fear 1-3 times every time you attack them. Definitely take the Frightful Presence feat. I'm a fan of Blackguard or anything that gives you Turn/Rebuke Undead (since you need high Cha, you might as well use Divine feats) for Whatever, but other things work as well.

Fear is great. But tons of enemies are immune to Fear. So its best not to invest a too heavily in it, especially at high levels. Diversify with spells, psionics, ToB, Power Attack feats, etc.

yeah im gunna be hitting the power attack and shock trooper chain for sure

Craig1f
2007-12-03, 01:57 PM

I wish I had enough feats to add Eleusive Target to my Shock Trooper build.

Think about it ... you do a heedless charge at full PA, but now your AC is like 5. Seeing this, the enemy power attacks you, only to have it Negated by the Negate Power Attack ability in Eleusive Target. Unfortunately, it takes three feats to get it.

My barbarian is going to get Combat Brute after he finishes with Shock Trooper and Leap Attack.

Person_Man
2007-12-03, 04:07 PM

Sounds like an excellent idea. This build is around 18/20 BAB and isn't very feat intensive, so it should be easy to pull off. You should also look for a way to pick up Pounce. The easiest way is 1 level of Barbarian using the Complete Champion variant, but there are others (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=5305146).

obscure_ftw
2007-12-04, 03:48 AM
I'm not sure if you are still considering the build with Hexblade or Evil Paladin 5/AE/GFK, but I've been toying with different combinations of the two base classes. And now I'm stuck on two options.

Assuming Paladin of Tyranny (his -2 to saves aura seems to fit better): is it better to go Paladin 3/Hex 2, or Hex 3/Paladin 2?

With 3 in Paladin you get more deadly touch and his -2 aura. The effective DC for your hexblade's curse should be the same as if you had taken five levels of hexblade.

With 3 in Hexblade you end up with Mettle.

So does -2 to opponents saves trump Mettle?

Dhavaer
2007-12-04, 04:37 AM

Power Attack is a requirement for Ghost-Faced Killer, so that fits well.

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-04, 05:05 AM
Ghost Faced Killer, from Complete Adventurer, is a fear-based melee PrC.

This is the class you want. It is a class that lets you walk through the walls, kill someone with a single strike, and possibly kill every person in the room, all as a fear effect.

If I remember correctly.

Dhavaer
2007-12-04, 05:10 AM
This is the class you want. It is a class that lets you walk through the walls, kill someone with a single strike, and possibly kill every person in the room, all as a fear effect.

If I remember correctly.

You can only panic the other people in the room (except one, which you can kill with a super-Cleave ability), but otherwise your memory is accurate.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-04, 11:03 AM
I'm actually playing a character in my RL campaign somewhat similar in concept to what you've laid out. The difference is, I've made him focus more on being one divided by bards.

For a somewhat cheesy but wonderfully-useful dip, I recommend picking up 1 level of Warlock early on and taking beguiling influence for the invocation. Not only do you no longer need to worry about carrying a bow, but you automatically gain a +6 bonus on all your intimidate checks.

Also, don't forget to pick up the Shadow Companion variant for hexblade from PHBII: an indestructible illusion that lowers your enemies saves and AC is always a nice boon for the Ghost-faced Killer and the Avenging Executioner.

Doresain
2007-12-04, 11:08 AM
but which is better, an aura that doesnt move with my character (though i have complete control of it i assume) or an aura that is centered on my character?

hexblade w/ dark companion=enemies adjacent to companion get -2 to saves and AC
paladin of tyranny=enemies within 10' of paladin get -2 to saves
anti-paladin=enemies within 10' get -4 vs fear

which sounds tastier for the build im going for?

Egill
2007-12-04, 12:02 PM
Both Paladin of Tyranny and Blackguard provide +cha modifier to all saves. Would these stack? They are named differently, and the bonus type is unspecified.

+cha vs. spells/spell-like and +chax2 to all saves would be pretty spiffy. Combined with Hexblade's mettle, oh boy.

Person_Man
2007-12-04, 12:35 PM
but which is better, an aura that doesnt move with my character (though i have complete control of it i assume) or an aura that is centered on my character?

hexblade w/ dark companion=enemies adjacent to companion get -2 to saves and AC
paladin of tyranny=enemies within 10' of paladin get -2 to saves
anti-paladin=enemies within 10' get -4 vs fear

which sounds tastier for the build im going for?

If I had to choose, I'd use Paladin of Tyranny, because the Save bonus is all inclusive, and you can use Command Undead to fuel very useful Divine feats.

But you could always use both. Or head into Blackguard. And note that if you're playing at ECL 11ish, you can use the helpful Fallen Paladin trick. Paladin 11 become Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10. This gives you a nifty little power advantage (because you have access to higher level spells earlier), albeit one that goes away as you progress. Also note that Blackguard gives you Sneak Attack, which means you can take the Craven feat (Champions of Ruin, gives you +1 damage per character level on your Sneak Attack damage).

Both Paladin of Tyranny and Blackguard provide +cha modifier to all saves. Would these stack? They are named differently, and the bonus type is unspecified.

Yes. Hexblade/Blackguard or Hexblade Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter works.

However, Paladin of Tyranny/Blackguard does not, because the ability has the same name.

Egill
2007-12-04, 03:52 PM
From d20 SRD:

Blackguard:
Dark Blessing (Su)

A blackguard applies his Charisma modifier (if positive) as a bonus on all saving throws.

Paladin of Tyranny
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofSlaughterClas sFeatures
Table just lists "Divine Grace" as the name of the ability.