PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Question about combining certain magic items

RNightstalker
2022-11-06, 01:44 AM
Let's say I want to use the MIC rules to add a Scarab of protection to pick an amulet, any amulet, let's say natural armor. Once the scarab absorbs its 12 attacks, would the whole thing crumble to dust or would the amulet of natural armor remain?

Cruiser1
2022-11-06, 01:51 AM
Let's say I want to use the MIC rules to add a Scarab of protection to pick an amulet, any amulet, let's say natural armor. Once the scarab absorbs its 12 attacks, would the whole thing crumble to dust or would the amulet of natural armor remain?I'd say the whole thing crumbles to dust. By combining the two magic items, you've added the "this item magically crumbles to dust when these charges are expended" property to the item as whole. The only difference is this is a negative magical effect instead of a positive effect, but either way you don't get to pick and choose which effects happen or how broad they are (barring making a completely new custom magic item with different and less destructive properties).

Crake
2022-11-06, 02:02 AM
As with all things when it comes to custom magical items, I would say ask your DM. That being said, I think having the whole thing crumble to dust is kinda dumb.

the_tick_rules
2022-11-06, 02:06 AM
I don't know if there is a definitive ruling. Personally I endorse the ides of that enchantment being taken off but the rest and staying where they are. Otherwise nobody would multi enchant something that does that.

Biggus
2022-11-06, 03:22 AM
I'd say the whole thing crumbles to dust. By combining the two magic items, you've added the "this item magically crumbles to dust when these charges are expended" property to the item as whole. The only difference is this is a negative magical effect instead of a positive effect, but either way you don't get to pick and choose which effects happen or how broad they are (barring making a completely new custom magic item with different and less destructive properties).

I'd always envisaged it that in cases like this, when the second items' powers are added, a new piece is added to the original item and that crumbles when it's exhausted, leaving the original item as it was.

AFAIK the rules are silent on the question of exactly how combining items works other than the price, so I think that Crake is right that we're firmly in "ask your DM" territory here.

Jay R
2022-11-06, 11:15 AM
If the rules aren't clear, then it's a DM judgment call*. My DM decided that there was an additional beetle-shaped piece, which would crumble and fall off the item.

*If the rules are clear, it's still a DM judgment call, but deciding whether or not to make an exception to the rules is a very different situation from deciding what to do without a rule.