PDA

View Full Version : custom cart or wagon

Aurich
2022-11-07, 06:34 PM
I'm soon going to play a kobold artificer battlesmith and one idea i have for him is him travelling in a custom cart/wagon pulled by the steel defender when not actually riding the defender.

I'm trying to gain a measure of how i would have to envision and describe it to my DM eventually. There might be an issue if it would be too improbable number wise.

Most pressing question i would need an answer for is the size of a cart. Would a cart be reasonably sized to house a kobold?

The Defender can pull 1050 pound. A cart is 200 pound, a wagon 600.

I'd like to build it thus onto a cart frame, as otherwise i could have a weight problem.

Idea for the cart is a cover build in wood, which would allow the kobold to sleep inside and store all his stuff in.
Given thus the top cover would add to the weight. what could a believable weight be? an other 200 pound?

Cargo i reckon be be in a measure of 200-350 pound perhaps.

Thus if a cart would be a reasonable frame for that idea, the SD can pull it on his own. Otherwise i need to take in consideration that my character needs to add a mule/donkey to the setup.

Sigreid
2022-11-08, 08:35 AM
My artificer rides in what is essentially a rickshaw pulled by his steel defender. Went with that because it's light, reducing, or rather not overly increasing the weight the steel defender has to pull. And it's a known real world example that a human can reliably pull another human so the weight should be fine.

Oramac
2022-11-08, 12:01 PM
My artificer rides in what is essentially a rickshaw pulled by his steel defender. Went with that because it's light, reducing, or rather not overly increasing the weight the steel defender has to pull. And it's a known real world example that a human can reliably pull another human so the weight should be fine.

I was going to suggest this or some sort of chariot-like contraption. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to convince your DM to allow it. My only concern would be the harness connecting the steel defender to the cart. Is there a quick-disconnect or something to allow it to function without the cart during combat?

Sigreid
2022-11-08, 12:05 PM
I was going to suggest this or some sort of chariot-like contraption. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to convince your DM to allow it. My only concern would be the harness connecting the steel defender to the cart. Is there a quick-disconnect or something to allow it to function without the cart during combat?
We decided at our table it really just needed a rope between the poles that the SD can take in its mouth. Since it isn't an animal I'd doesn't really need a control harness

Mellack
2022-11-08, 02:05 PM
It sounds to me pretty good. I would just suggest you be careful about size considerations. A cart is probably just size medium (one square). So if you want room to live in it you can't have a lot of large objects in it as well. You shouldn't have a big concern staying under the weight limit.

Sigreid
2022-11-08, 02:57 PM
It sounds to me pretty good. I would just suggest you be careful about size considerations. A cart is probably just size medium (one square). So if you want room to live in it you can't have a lot of large objects in it as well. You shouldn't have a big concern staying under the weight limit.

When I set mine up, it was intended to pull him and his pack. When I can make iron golem, we will move to more of a covered wagon setup.