PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rules for a Wheelbarrow-Mounted Ballista

Pooky the Imp
2022-11-09, 02:16 PM
One of my players is determined to build or commission a ballista-type weapon, which he can mount on a wheelbarrow (or similarly-sized cart) and bring into battle.

The idea seems rather impractical but I don't want to just tell him he can't do it at all.

Instead, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest rules/stats for such a contraption? Any ideas?

Amnestic
2022-11-09, 02:23 PM
A standard ballista is a large object, takes 3 actions to load, aim, and fire, and rolls a +6 (120/480ft*) for 3d10.

I would make a wheelbarrow ballista a medium object that takes an object interaction to load, an action to aim, and an action to fire, rolls a +5 (100/450ft) for 2d10.

*sidenote: It's absolutely ridonk to me that ballistas have less range than a longbow. Maybe some history nerd can tell me that's correct but it hits me as weird.

Myth27
2022-11-09, 02:41 PM
One of my players is determined to build or commission a ballista-type weapon, which he can mount on a wheelbarrow (or similarly-sized cart) and bring into battle.

The idea seems rather impractical but I don't want to just tell him he can't do it at all.

Instead, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest rules/stats for such a contraption? Any ideas?

I had a player put a balista on a carriage for traveling in the wilderness, I just used the standard rules from the DMG. Another time I had a player use what we called a "great crossbow" that he coud carry basically a crossbow with 2d8 damage die ( so +dex) and increased range. It was one action to shoot and 1 action to reload with no possibility of reducing it. it was way to powerful at level 1, completely normal at level 2-4 and completely useless from level 5.

In general I tried many times to do this type of "fixed" bigger weapons including catapults, trebushet or firearm, and in my experience it's really hard to make simple rules that makes them balanced and usable

Leon
2022-11-09, 07:00 PM
A wheel barrow can be a unwieldly thing at the best of time, i imagine that mounting a top heavy contraption would make that a lot worse. Certainly as others have said scale it down unless they want to steadfastly use a full size one in which can a normal size cart is going to be needed at the very least and its attendant logistical needs of motive power. Once it proves impractical mpre than few times the idea will prob be abandoned.

arisroot
2022-11-09, 08:46 PM
I can barely manage a couple bags of dirt on a wheelbarrow. I can't imagine putting an entire ballista on it. Maybe on a cart. A large four-wheeler that requires a horse to pull. Even then, I think that's a pretty small ballista.

GeoffWatson
2022-11-09, 08:56 PM
Ancient Romans did use a cart-mounted ballista.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroballista

But there isn't much historical detail. I think a one-man wheelbarrow would be too small for a decent ballista - probably no better than a heavy crossbow.

No brains
2022-11-09, 09:02 PM
There are some things that are called 'ballista' that could plausibly fit on a wheelbarrow. Here's videos of a guy working on one on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBJY-oxeGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYe3GmlZi5M

Work with your player about what they want. Do they want a 'real', Large-sized ballista, or one that can fit on a wheelbarrow?

If they want the real deal, you can just give them a ballista straight out of the DMG. You can even put it on wheels or a cart for them so it can be drawn by a horse, or even a fabulously strong PC. If you do this, set the price pretty high. The burst damage of 3d10 at 120 ft even once is worth at least 500gp, similar to an uncommon magic item.

If they pick something smaller that can fit on a wheelbarrow, maybe cut the damage to 2d10 and maybe charge 100gp. 2d10 isn't that much better than a crossbow shot by a person with good dexterity, so don't punish them hard for getting it.

If you end up hating either one, have the next adventure take place in a swamp. :smallsmile: You can even fake-torment the player by having it be a timed chase against a bad guy. If they can't keep up, the bad guy takes cover in a fortification... that the player can degrade using their travel ballista!

Pooky the Imp
2022-11-10, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the help so far, guys.

The mini-ballista (2d10) looks like the closest to what my player is hoping for.

I have a few more questions, though, if anyone has ideas:

1) Assuming it's in a wheelbarrow or hand-cart, what sort of rules would you suggest for moving it in combat?

2) What would you suggest in terms of bonuses to hit/damage? I ask because the DMG Ballista seemed to imply fixed to-hit and damage, but 2d10 with no dex bonus to hit/damage is drastically worse than just making 2 attacks with his Heavy Crossbow (with Crossbow Mastery feat).

Thunderous Mojo
2022-11-10, 11:08 AM
A Ballista is a siege weapon. Artillery is not necessarily a great option against non-massed soldiers.

Does your player, truly want to cart around a siege weapon, or would they rather have beefed up crossbow?

If they want a portable ballista that they fire once at the start of combat, the full barista stats are fine. I would allow Sharpshooter, and other PC abilities apply.

There are examples of crank mounted, Gatling Gun style, projectile launchers in real life, (sometimes including rockets in Asia). For something like that…perhaps the Burst rules from the DMG section on modern weapons could apply.

Regardless, a donkey or other beast of burden will likely need to be used to move the cart.

Does most of the campaign take place on flat level ground, with broad ramps? Moving Artillery into position, is the tricky part.

The movie, The Gamers, has a joke about a Rogue sneak attacking with a ballista.

DarknessEternal
2022-11-10, 11:29 AM
Just use the regular Ballista rules. Maybe move at half speed like dragging something heavy.

After one combat, he'll stop wanting to do this since ballistas are complete garbage in the rules.

Keltest
2022-11-10, 11:54 AM
*sidenote: It's absolutely ridonk to me that ballistas have less range than a longbow. Maybe some history nerd can tell me that's correct but it hits me as weird.

It really depends on what the book is thinking when it says ballista. There have been a lot of flavors of them. Theoretically I think the known record for a ballista shot is about twice the effective range of a longbow, but from my understanding you start seriously sacrificing accuracy to get those distances. If its on the small end like a Roman scorpio or something, the effective range before people stop being able to aim meaningfully could potentially be shorter than a longbow, I suppose.

DarknessEternal
2022-11-10, 02:49 PM

D&D thinks longbows are way better than they've ever been in reality.

Amnestic
2022-11-14, 07:18 AM
It really depends on what the book is thinking when it says ballista. There have been a lot of flavors of them. Theoretically I think the known record for a ballista shot is about twice the effective range of a longbow, but from my understanding you start seriously sacrificing accuracy to get those distances. If its on the small end like a Roman scorpio or something, the effective range before people stop being able to aim meaningfully could potentially be shorter than a longbow, I suppose.

It's a large object and so far as I know the only description is:
"A ballista is a massive crossbow that fires heavy bolts. Before it can be fired, it must be loaded and aimed. It takes one action to load the weapon, one action to aim it, and one action to fire it."

Which is sadly pretty vague as to what variety it is. Probably deliberately.

D&D thinks longbows are way better than they've ever been in reality.

Yeah it's a mild peeve of mine that they've got such insane range compared to every other ranged weapon. Even if it was dropped for 120/480 it'd still be the longest range of any normal weapon and at least then it'd be equal to a ballista instead of exceeding it.