PDA

View Full Version : Guild wizard "improved spell acquisition"

ciopo
2022-11-09, 03:19 PM
The recent thread about spellfire channeler had me go reread magic of faerun, and , on guild wizard of waterdeep, there's this:

Improved Spell Acquisition: At each level of advancement in the guild wizard prestige class, a character gains three spells of her choice of any level she can cast to add to her spellbook.

Putting aside how it's unfriendly to sorcerers, that really says "any spell", it doesn't say they need to be from the wiz/sorc list or whatever other class you are advancing the spellcasting of.

Was this errata'd? I didn't manage to get my hands on MoF errata even by the wayback machine

While I'm at it, is it defined anywhere that the Mage of the arcane order substitutes Guild wizard of Waterdeep?

Rebel7284
2022-11-09, 04:26 PM
It's strangely worded. It could mean any spell of those levels, or it could imply the "on the class list" bit by referring to "can cast" since a Wizard can't cast, for example, 3rd level Cleric spells unless they're a Theurge.

AnonJr
2022-11-09, 04:28 PM
Seems like Arcane spell casting is only called out as a pre-requisite, looking at the "Spells Per Day" part it also sounds like you can advance non-arcane spellcasting when you level up if you really wanted to. If I'm reading it right, it seems like a reasonable person could enter with a Wizard X/Sorcerer X and advance the Sorcerer spellcasting at each level while also scribing 3 new Wizard spells of a level they can cast.

I also just got up from an unintended nap, so maybe wait for more confirmation before going too far with this. :smallwink:

Rebel7284
2022-11-09, 05:13 PM
Also, it occurs to me that even with the more liberal reading that you can scribe any spell, doesn't give you the ability to cast those spells.

For example, if you steal a Wyrm Wizard's spellbook, you will still be unable to cast spells unlocked with the original owner's Spell Research class feature.

ciopo
2022-11-09, 05:23 PM
Well, that would be "a" spellbook rather than "her" spellbook.

The proviso that even if they are scribed in her spellbook, said wizard couldn't cast them because they aren't wizard spell is otherwise still interesting for an entirely different reason : what shenanigans could be done with spellbooks that have spells scribed on them that don't actually appear on the spell list of whoever happens to use that spellbook?

Let's say a wizard X/ guildwizard 1 decides his spellbooks contains 3 first level dleric spells jot otherwise accessible, what do we do with this?

Chameleon comes to mind, chameleons uses stolen or borrowed spell books after all, but his arcane focus that let him use spellbooks calls out it has to be arcane spells from any arcane list, so that's a no there.

Except a, say, wizard 5 / guild wizard 5 / chameleon 10 would have an easy time filling up his spellbook with 15 spells from "any arcane list" because those spells would be there as a function of having taken guild wizard levels, mmmm

Biggus
2022-11-09, 08:06 PM
The Wizard entry in the PHB doesn't specify that the new spells they get at each level must be Wizard spells either.

ciopo
2022-11-10, 01:19 PM
Uh, so it does indeed