PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Drawing Aggro: How?

vasilidor
2022-11-10, 06:53 PM
I am trying to find spells, feats or other abilities that goad, cajole, taunt and/or infuriate an enemy into attacking one target over another. Preferably something that could be used by a Sword Sage or a Dwarven Defender. For a Gestalt Dwarven Defender Sword Sage.
Thanks in advanced.

holbita
2022-11-10, 07:06 PM
Well, you have one already there, the feat "goad" will do exactly what you want. All other ways to do this that comes to mind are either class specific (Knight, Jester, etc.) or maneuvers that help on this but don't actually draw aggro, just make attacking you more appetizing to enemies. You can check a crusader handbook to see a comprehensive list on those.

Elves
2022-11-10, 07:28 PM
Just homebrew port in an ability that works like 4e's marks.

We're at the point where it's no longer interesting to jump through the hoops of content that was written in a time when there was 15 years less knowledge of the game than we have now

the charop phase is over and the rebuild phase must begin

vasilidor
2022-11-10, 07:42 PM
I may be better off just homebrewing something, true, but I wanted to know what was already available before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Doctor Despair
2022-11-10, 08:05 PM
Goad and knight's Test of Mettle were already mentioned, but I'll add something from dragon magazine: Master of Mockery.

There's also Devoted Guardian (from the Constant Guardian feat tree) for a similar ability. On that note, Maquar Crusader also lets you body block for an ally

ShurikVch
2022-11-10, 08:31 PM
If you don't mind the 3rd-party stuff, then Warcraft the Roleplaying Game have the Taunt feat - it's full-round opposite Cha check vs single target (should have at least 6 Int) withing 30'; success force the enemy to attack you in the next round to the best of their abilities. Effect is mind-affecting and language-dependent. Target enemy should be able to see you (i. e. concealment and cover restrictions)

Also, if you don't mind Commoner as a 1st level (and the "April 1" content from Dragon), in the Dragon #330, among the "Flaws for Commoners" is the Weresheep:

Theresheep!
Effect: You are afflicted with lycanthropy. Not such a flaw, right? Your hybrid and animal forms are of a harmless sheep. When in hybrid or animal form you suffer the effects of the Delicious flaw.
Now, the Delicious flaw (from the very same article):

Someone cast divine flavor on you.
Effect: All monsters attack you if able, regardless of their attitude toward the rest of your party. In addition, you go down smooth. When subjected to a swallow whole special attack, you are treated as two size categories smaller than you actually are.
Thus, once you change into your hybrid form - all the monsters would attack you and only you
Moreover: since rules for Lycanthropy don't change regardless of which, exactly, Animal is it based on - you would still gain a pair of claws, +2 natural AC, +2 Wis, Iron Will bonus feat, and DR 5/silver (or DR 10/silver - who said you aren't natural lycanthrope?)
Sheep, as statted in the Dangerous Denizens, would give you +1 natural AC, +2 Dex and Con, bite attack, and Alertness bonus feat

If you don't mind to start with CE alignment - you can even claim you're Blacktooth Lycanthrope ("The Twisted Run" adventure, Dungeon #129). In comparison to "regular" lycanthropes, you would get(/lose):
+10' speed;
+8 natural AC (not +2);
Curse of Blacktooth Lycanthropy (1st-generation only; others get "standard" Curse of Lycanthropy);
Darkvision 60';
DR 10/silver and magic;
SR 10+HD;
-2 Wis (not +2);
Improved Natural Attack bonus feat(s) for all of your natural attacks (in addition to the Iron Will - not instead of).

Biggus
2022-11-10, 08:47 PM
Probably not much use for your build, but for completeness:

Divine Prankster (Races of Stone) gets the "Enrage Enemies" ability at 5th level

Mindless Rage (Spell Compendium)

Particle_Man
2022-11-10, 09:32 PM
A bit Doylist, but say to the DM during play "Wow that monster is pathetic! I bet it couldn't hit me if it tried!" :smallsmile:

vasilidor
2022-11-10, 09:37 PM
A bit Doylist, but say to the DM during play "Wow that monster is pathetic! I bet it couldn't hit me if it tried!" :smallsmile:

trying to get targeted by the monster, not autocritted.

Darg
2022-11-10, 11:30 PM
Just make a special bluff/intimidate action skill check that provides penalties if not attacking the user. You could make it opposed by the concentration/sense motive skills or will saves.

Thurbane
2022-11-11, 12:44 AM
There was a curse mentioned in an Eberron book, that makes you the focus of hostile creatures.

There's a couple of "dirty tricks" for drawing enemy attacks that I've discovered since being on these forums.

First is the Commoner flaw Delicious (Dragon 330) which makes "All monsters attack you if able, regardless of their attitude toward the rest of your party". Weresheep flaw achieves the same thing, but hampers you with an unwanted form. The downsides are 1.) you need at least one level in Commoner, and 2.) this is very obviously an April Fools article, and was never intended in serious game play.

Second, and more insidious IMHO, is the the curse effect presented in Secrets of Xen'Drik: "The character is surrounded by an unnerving aura of menace. Lower the starting attitude of NPCs and animals towards this PC by one step. If a creature is already hostile, it attacks this character in preference to any others."

...you'll need your DM to be on board to avoid having books thrown at you! :smalltongue:

ShurikVch
2022-11-11, 04:30 AM
Probably not much use for your build, but for completeness:
Then also for completeness:

Holy Calling feat (Dragon #334):

You are able to channel divinely infused life energy that calls to the endless hunger of the undead like a siren's song.
Prerequisites: Cha 15, ability to turn undead.
Benefit: As a standard action you may use a turn or rebuke attempt to goad an undead opponent within 60 feet that has line of effect to you. The goaded undead must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier). If the undead fails its save, you are the only creature it can attack for 1d4 rounds. If it kills you, knocks you unconscious, loses sight of you, or otherwise is unable to make attacks against you, it may make any remaining attacks against other foes, as normal. The undead attacks you in the most efficient way possible, whether through melee or ranged attacks, spells, or other abilities. It may cast spells that affect an area as long as you are within the spell's area. The undead may continue to use appropriate tactics, avoiding attacks of opportunity and the like, but it can only attack you regardless of the actions of your allies.
Unfortunately, it's worded like only Undead can be affected by it - not even Outsiders or whoever else you may be able to turn/rebuke

Barbarian's "Taunt" shout (Diablo II: Diablerie (https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Diablerie)):

Taunt: By a combination of crude gibes and gestures, you can goad a single foe into fighting you exclusively. As a partial action, you force the foe to attempt a Will saving throw (DC 20). A foe that fails moves toward you and attacks for the next 2d4 rounds. The foe must be able to perceive you to be affected by this ability-foes with no Intelligence rating are not affected.
Prerequisite: Howl.
Note: while it doesn't works on Mindless creatures, it isn't worded as "mind-affecting" - thus, technically, should work on such enemies as Undead, Plants, or characters protected by Mind Blank...

eBarbarossa
The Backstab feat from Dragon Mag 340 doesn't force the enemy to attack you, but you can punish them if they don't.

Inevitability
1-3 levels in Devoted Defender give you some pretty neat tanking abilities, the prerequisites are meh (Weapon Focus and Alertness) but there's probably some other PrCs they can do double duty for.

Paragon
2022-11-11, 07:47 AM
For a feat you can get Iron Guard's Glare stance. It basically gives the choice to your opponent to either attack your adjacent allies who benefit from a +4 to AC or attack you. It's pretty much a permanent, no action goad ability

St Fan
2022-11-11, 03:29 PM
Previous editions had a taunt spell for this very purpose. It wouldn't be too hard to port to 3.5.

And if you don't mind introducing eldritch abominations to your game, Kenders have this as a natural ability.

PS: Just remembered this: Exemplar of Evil has an alternate class feature for Bards replacing Inspire Greatness, called Inspire Hatred, that can be used this way. (It can even lead the victim to attack an ally, but this is less likely to last long.)

Doctor Despair
2022-11-11, 04:10 PM
Previous editions had a taunt spell for this very purpose. It wouldn't be too hard to port to 3.5.

And if you don't mind introducing eldritch abominations to your game, Kenders have this as a natural ability.

Miser's Envy kinda does a similar job if you pick a strategic object

SangoProduction
2022-11-12, 11:32 PM
Pathfinder has the Antagonized condition. The wordiest damned condition in the game. Supposed to simulate being taunted. I still can't remember how the hell it actually works because it's a crummy condition.

I recommend either role play, or take features that apply penalties for not targeting you. Spheres of Might has a few talents, predictably enough, in the Guardian and Shield spheres. You can also use Boxing sphere to have your attacks trigger on enemies choosing to attack someone other than you.
Also keeping the target from running to anyone else is close enough to a taunt. Thus Energy Tether from Destruction sphere, a fine lasso, the Impale effect from Lancer sphere, and no doubt something from Tech sphere that I can scarcely remember would all achieve that effect, so long as you can hold them to the tether. I think Energy Tether is the most difficult to break (without specifically using an action to destroy it, which works because you've basically given it a reusable target dummy to strike)

vasilidor
2022-11-15, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

YellowJohn
2022-11-15, 05:24 PM
And noone recommended skill ranks in Profession: Artist.
I'm disappointed in you all 😉

ShurikVch
2022-11-15, 05:43 PM
And noone recommended skill ranks in Profession: Artist.
I'm disappointed in you all 😉
To draw Aggro...

You mean - Rosario Aggro (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070439/)? :smallamused:

https://www.film-az.com/static/tano-cimarosa-w185-ap7ccf4mAo73TluShYU6LtsE0jm.jpg

Thurbane
2022-11-15, 06:14 PM
Don't know about aggro, but I can draw dignity:

https://i.imgur.com/IG8CiHa.png

St Fan
2022-11-20, 12:27 PM
Just found another one, which I mention for completion's sake:

The dream casting spell (from Spell Compendium) has the rage option, which make sure the dreamer will attack you whenever he sees you or is aware of your presence.

This one of course requires more preparation than other options, since it is cast essentially like a dream spell. It has, however, unlimited range and last for 1 day/level.

vasilidor
2022-11-21, 12:09 AM
This thread has inspired me to make a joke PRC.
Aggroman

Level 1, +1 BAB, +2 ref, +2 will, +2 fort. Hurl Insult.
Level 2 +2BAB, +3 Ref, +3 Will, +3 Fort. Dodge Reprecussions
Level 3 +3 BAB +3 Ref, +3 Will, +3 Fort, Mass Hurl Insult
Level 4 +4BAB, +4 Ref, +4 Will, +4 Fort, Tough it out.
Level 5 +5 BAB, +4 Ref, +4 Will, +4 Fort, Insult Anything.

Requirements: Perform (Insult) 4 ranks, Dodge
Class Skills: Perform (Insult)
Skill points per level: 2+Int modifier
HD:D12
Hurl insult: As a free action, once per round, you may hurl an insult at someone. this target must be able to hear and see you. They must then make a Will save with a DC of 10+ Your ranks in Perform (Insult) or fly into a rage and attack you. Mindless creatures are immune.
Dodge Repercussions: You gain a dodge bonus equal to your level in Aggroman to your AC against attacks made by someone who failed to make their save against your insults.
Mass Hurl Insult: You may now insult entire groups at once. This only effects those of the group that can hear you.
Tough it out: You gain 5/- DR against those that fail their save against your insults. This stacks with other sources of DR.
Insult Anything: Your insult ability now works on anything and everything that can hear or see you. Use with caution.

Is this PRC balanced? probably not. Do I find it funny? yes.

PoeticallyPsyco
2022-11-21, 03:16 AM
Iron Guard's Glare stance got mentioned upthread (adjacent enemies take -4 to attack anyone but you), but Devoted Spirit also has a couple of counters devoted to tanking for your allies. Shield Block is most likely to be relevant since it's only level 2, letting you give your shield bonus +4 to an ally in response to them being attacked; Shield Counter is the level 7 version that lets you attack the aggressor instead, forcing them to miss on a hit.

Devoted Defender also got mentioned upthread, but I think it deserves a more detailed look, since I consider it the gold standard of 3.5 tanking. At the start of each fight, choose a friendly you think is going to get attacked and stay adjacent to them. You both get a bonus to AC, and if anyone attacks them, you can switch places with them and take the attack in their place (which doesn't require an action, just that they be within 5ft of you). You can do this not just any number of times per day, but any number of times per round. This is your reward for one level in the class.

Level 2 lets you make an attack of opportunity any time an adjacent opponent melee attacks your charge.

Level 3 lets you parry a melee attack against your charge 1/round as a free action (you do have to make a DC 20 Reflex save).

Doctor Despair
2022-11-21, 07:37 AM
Pretty sure DDefender was updated with Maquar Crusader (mentioned above)

Rebel7284
2022-11-21, 01:43 PM
The best way to draw aggro, of course, is effective battlefield control that limits your opponents' options about who to attack.

In general, I think the best "tank" class, if you want to do traditional style tanking is likely Ruby Knight Vindicator. It natively gets stuff like Iron Guard's Glare, while also having the ability to cast Close Wounds on any hurt ally along with all the other Cleric defensive goodness.