PDA

View Full Version : Reduce Spell level

Fero
2022-11-11, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know a way to reduce the spell level of a spell other than by Sanctum Spell? I am primarily interested in reducing spell level to fit normally higher level spells into potions etc. that have level limits.

pabelfly
2022-11-11, 09:37 AM
The "Metamagic and You: A Thesis" thread has ways to reduce metamagic costs if you want to use spells with metamagic effects.

https://www.storm-shelter.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=133.0

Fero
2022-11-11, 09:48 AM
The "Metamagic and You: A Thesis" thread has ways to reduce metamagic costs if you want to use spells with metamagic effects.

https://www.storm-shelter.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=133.0

Thank you. That is a great guide! However, I am not looking for a way to reduce MM costs but rather want to reduce the spell level (lower DC etc.) when cast. In essence, I want to do the opposite of Heighten Spell.

noob
2022-11-11, 10:01 AM
You could try using the earth spell metamagic then be on ground that is not solid enough for an additional -1 to effective spell level.

pabelfly
2022-11-11, 10:30 AM
Thank you. That is a great guide! However, I am not looking for a way to reduce MM costs but rather want to reduce the spell level (lower DC etc.) when cast. In essence, I want to do the opposite of Heighten Spell.

Okay. Was thinking that you could also go the route of casting lower-level spells augmented with metanagic for free.

Gruftzwerg
2022-11-11, 10:45 AM
Ain't Craft Contingent Spell a option? That's what used normally for single uses of higher lvl spells.

Particle_Man
2022-11-11, 11:33 AM
It is third party, but I think Arcana Unearthed had a spell system for that which you might be able to look at and perhaps convince a DM about.

Fero
2022-11-11, 11:55 AM
Ain't Craft Contingent Spell a option? That's what used normally for single uses of higher lvl spells.

I have not heard of that one. Do you know how it works?

Gruftzwerg
2022-11-11, 12:17 PM
I have not heard of that one. Do you know how it works?

It's a crafting feat from Complete Arcane.
Simply said, it lets you "craft" spells onto (willing^^) creatures. Any lvl and any spell you know. It's a bit more expensive thou (base-price: spell level × caster level × 100 gp), but thats the price for that amount of high level spell power ;)

Similar to Contingency (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/contingency.htm)Spell, you have to set the trigger conditions for the spell while crafting. (a command word / being attacked / falling down / falling unconscious /dying/ whatsoever..).

ViperMagnum357
2022-11-11, 02:38 PM
I think what you are looking for is Master Alchemist, from Magic of Faerun. Brew up to 9th level potions, though the erratic advancement table precludes an epic progression to 10th level or higher potions.

Also could go third party and somewhat limited, but the Ambient Tempest prc from the Revised Bestiary of Krynn gets a feature called Spellshaping at third level. It allows the Tempest to modify any spell that is a legitimate target for Enlarge, Widen, or Extend spell, halving that aspect of the spell-range, area, or duration-in return for reducing the spell's actual level by one. In theory, you could finagle it with Master Alchemist to get 10th level potions with half duration, if you wanted.

Thurbane
2022-11-11, 02:48 PM
Not reducing spell level, but there's also Skull Talismans (in Frostburn) that function a bit like potions, but don't have a level limit. They also aren't as limited in what spells can be put in them, so they can hold personal-only spells like Mirror Image.

The downside is they are more expensive than potions.

Biggus
2022-11-11, 03:49 PM
I think what you are looking for is Master Alchemist, from Magic of Faerun. Brew up to 9th level potions, though the erratic advancement table precludes an epic progression to 10th level or higher potions.

While the epic advancement guidelines for prestige classes say that only a regular progression should continue into epic levels, some of the published classes advance irregular progressions anyway. Definitely an "ask your DM" thing.

Anthrowhale
2022-11-12, 06:04 PM
Mind Mage 7 (Dragon #313) has an ability called 'focus of discipline' which allows you to prepare spells at reduced level through the expenditure of 8 power points/level. It's difficult to take advantage of because you you lose 2 levels of advancement on both the arcane casting and the manifesting sides, plus you have to satisfy prerequisites. Something like Illumian (Krau) Psion 3/Wizard 1/Cerebramancer 2/Mind Mage 10/Cerebramancer 4 would give you L15 wizard access + L17 Psion access, but with caster level 25 for wizard spells and manifester level 27, enough to decrease spells by 3 levels.