PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way ot the Harbinger V2.0 - a pact magic using monk subclass [PEACH]

kosh49
2022-11-12, 05:05 PM
Several years back I created a pact magic based monk subclass. I had wanted the patron to affect the subclass. While I did not use the lazy option of reusing Warlock subclass features, on reflection my subclass was still tied to the Warlock class more that it should have been. Here is my effort to make it more independent of the Warlock class and the Warlock subclasses. Any feedback would be welcome.

I have updated this based on the feedback I have received so far. The change log is at the end. The Omen changes were somewhat extensive, so for reference I put the original omens in my post on November 22.

WAY OF THE HARBINGER:

Many monastic orders serve one or more gods or some other supernatural creature. Some monks seek to increase their connection to those entities by making a pact with one of those entities or with a powerful supernatural servitor of those entities. Not all monastic orders allow their members to follow the way of the harbinger, and none are dedicated to this tradition. But the powerful magics available to those few who follow this tradition makes them very effective indeed.

PACT MAGIC

When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, your patron grants you the ability to cast spells. See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting and chapter 11 for the warlock spell list.

Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the warlock spell list. You learn an additional warlock cantrip of your choice at 11th level.

Spell Slots. The Harbinger Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your harbinger spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest. For example, when you are 13th level, you have two 3rd-level spell slots. To cast the 1st-level spell hex, you must spend one of those slots, and you cast it as a 3rd-level spell.

Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know two 1st-level spells of your choice selected from your harbinger spell list which consists of all warlock spells of 4th level or lower. The Spells Known column of the Harbinger Spellcasting table shows when you learn more harbinger spells of 1st level or higher. A spell you choose must be of a level no higher than what’s shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level. Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the harbinger spells you know with another spell of your choice from the harbinger spell list. The new spell must also be of a level no higher than what’s shown in the table's Slot Level column for your monk level.

Spellcasting Ability. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your harbinger spells. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a harbinger spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

HARBINGER SPELLCASTING TABLE

Monk Level
Cantrips
Spells Known
Slot Level
Number of Spell Slots

3rd
1st

4th
1st

5th
1st

6th
1st

7th
2nd

8th
2nd

9th
2nd

10th
2nd

11th
2nd

12th
2nd

13th
3rd

14th
3rd

15th
3rd

16th
3rd

17th
3rd

18th
3rd

19th
4th

20th
4th

BONUS PROFICIENCY
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, determine the alignment of your patron. Each patron gives you a skill proficiency and a spell. This spell counts as a harbinger spell for you, but does not count against your spells known. A good patron provides proficiency in Medicine and the heroism spell. A neutral patron provides proficiency in Insight and the dissonant whispers spell. An evil patron provides proficiency in Survival and the absorb elements spell.

MARTIAL ARTS MAGIC
Starting at 3rd level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action, or you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.

DAZING SPELLS
Starting at 6th level your spells can overwhelm an opponent’s psyche. Once per turn when you hit another creature with a spell attack, you can spend 1 ki point to attempt to daze them. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be incapacitated until the end of your next turn.

HARBINGER'S OMENS
At 11th level your patron makes omens of their power available to you. You select 2 omens from the list below. You gain a third omen at 17th level. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the omens you know and replace it with another omen that you could learn at that level.

HARBINGER’S AID
At 17th level you can call on your patron for assistance. As an action you can spend 6 ki points to request your patron to send 1 CR 5 creature or 2 CR 4 creatures to aid you. The creature type that responds depends on alignment of your patron. A good patron sends Celestials, a neutral patron sends Fey, and an evil patron sends Fiends. The DM chooses the specific creature(s) that respond. Each creature that responds appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 60 feet. Each creature disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when 10 minutes have passed. Each creature that responds is friendly to you and your companions for the duration. Roll initiative for each creature, which has its own turns and obeys any verbal commands that you issue to it (no action required by you), as long as they aren't opposed to its nature. If you don’t issue any commands the creature defends itself from hostile creatures but otherwise takes no actions. A CR 5 creature arrives with temporary hit points equal to your monk level plus your Wisdom bonus, and CR 4 creatures arrive with half that number of temporary hit points. Any creatures summoned by this ability also receives a bonus to all attack rolls equal to your Wisdom bonus. Once you have used this ability you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.

HARBINGER’S OMENS

Omen of Awareness (Prerequisite: 17th level) – You gain blindsight within a range of 30 feet.

Omen of the Deluge - You can cast tidal wave once without expending a spell slot or material component. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Omen of Destruction – On your turn, in place of one of your unarmed attacks you can unleash a swarm of magical darts. Pick a spot within 50 feet of you and make a ranged weapon attack against each creature of your choice within 10 feet of that point. You have disadvantage on any attack rolls against creatures that more than 30 feet from you. Any creature you hit takes damage equal to 4 rolls of your martial arts die. This damage is radiant if your patron is good, psychic if your patron is neutral, and necrotic if your patron is evil. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Wisdom bonus, although never more than once in the same turn, and you regain all expended uses when you complete a long rest.

Omen of Focus – While concentrating on a spell you receive a +1 bonus to your AC and saving throws.

Omen of the Gale – You can cast warding wind once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Omen of Leeching (Prerequisite: 17th level) – When you successfully stun a creature is with your stunning strike you gain temporary hit points equal to one roll of your martial arts die plus your Wisdom bonus.

Omen of Miring (Prerequisite: 17th level) – You can cast black tentacles once, without expending a spell slot or material components. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Omen of Mobility – As part of the bonus action when you activate step of the wind you may spend up to 60 feet of your movement to teleport the same distance. You can use the feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier and regain all expended uses when you complete a long rest.

Omen of Prowess – You gain proficiency in 2 skills, depending on your patron’s alignment. Good patrons provide Persuasion and Religion, neutral patrons provide Deception and Nature, and evil patrons provide Arcana and Intimidation.

Omen of Staggering – Once per turn when you hit with an unarmed attack as part of your flurry of blows or martial arts magic you can force the target to make a Strength saving throw. On a failure the target is pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone.

Omen of Vigor – You can cast false life on yourself at will as a 1st level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Omen of Wrath – As part of the bonus action when you activate patient defense you surround yourself with an aura of wrath for 1 minute. During this time, whenever you are hit by a melee attack your attacker takes damage equal to one roll of your martial arts die. This damage is radiant if your patron is good, psychic if your patron is neutral, and necrotic if your patron is evil. Once you use this ability you can not do so again until you complete a long rest.

MULTICLASSING:
The following special rules apply to Way of the Harbinger monks when multiclassing.
Pact spell slots. Characters who have levels in both the warlock class and the monk class following the Way of the Harbinger determine their Pact Magic Level by adding the multiclass character’s warlock level and one third (round down) of the multiclass character’s monk level, and gain the spell slots of a single class warlock at their Pact Magic Level. So a 7th level warlock/11th level Way of the Harbinger monk has two 5th level spell slots (as a 10th level warlock would). Characters having both regular spellcasting classes and pact magic classes ignore their pact magic classes when determining their regular spellcasting slots and ignore their regular spellcasting classes when determining their pact magic slots.

Mystic Arcanum. Whenever a multiclass character’s Pact Magic Level qualifies them for a new Mystic Arcanum they choose one spell from the highest level warlock spell they can learn. This spell can be cast once per long rest without expending a spell slot, and it is treated as if it were cast with a spell slot of the level of the relevant Mystic Arcanum. Whenever the highest level warlock spell a multiclass character can learn increases, any Mystic Arcanum they have which is associated with a spell that is of a lower level than the Mystic Arcanum’s level must replace the associated spell with a spell equal to the new highest level warlock spell the character can learn. At the same level, the character can also replace one spell of 1st or higher level that is not affected by this forced change following the normal rules for the class that gained the level.

Edited to fix Omen of Prowess - each option was supposed to be an INT skill and a CHA skill, but neutral and evil originally had the level 3 WIS skill instead of the INT skill.
Also put the omens in alphabetical order.
Edited to limit Dazing Spells to only be useable once per turn. Updated the Omens by replacing Omen of Revelation with Omen of the Deluge, changed Omen of Destruction from a cone of energy to a swarm of magical darts, improved the language of Omen of Leeching, added a limit to the number of uses for Omen of Mobility, and removed the damage reduction from Omen of Wrath.

Loek
2022-11-16, 01:44 PM
I haven't gone too deep into details, but some things that stand out:

Number of spellslots: This has it's only increase way too early. While I figure you are emulating the Warlock increase, I'd recommend moving that one up a few levels.
Using Wisdom instead of Charisma: Normally a bit of a "power gaming" move to solidify the stats... but it's the monk, if anyone deserves a break on yet another stat, it's the monk. So good choice.
Bonus proficiency (and spell): These are really not balanced (amongst each other). Medicine and Survival are (game dependent) okay skills, while insight is almost always a really good one. The spells are vastly different but all have uses (haven't looked too deep)
Dazing spells: A ranged, but weaker, stunning strike... interesting, but at risk of being too much
Harbinger's omen: I'll get back to this
Harbinger's aid: This seems okay ish, though not particularly interesting for a level 17 ability.

About omens:
Omen of Destruction - Basically one of the Ascendend dragon's main features, but probably usable more often (2 per short instead of prof per long)
Omen of Focus - Basically a war wizard ability, but weaker
Omen of Mobility - Cool, but needs limitations I think (other than ki points)
Omen of Vigor - straight up eldritch invocation, no problem otherwise
Omen of the Gale - I still think almost all the "once per long rest" spells are trap invocations, but atleast this one doesn't use your spell slots
Omen of Prowess - All but the good option overlaps with your earlier bonus proficiency (and again, it's hard to balance this stuff)
Omen of Wrath - Cool, but maybe too strong (especially combined with possible concentration and temp hp)

Omen of Awareness - very strong, but cool, also level 17, so probably fine
Omen of Leeching - kind of odd that it's based on stun and not damage. Probably okay ish balance wise
Omen of Revelation - probably comes too late and feels kind of connected from the rest of the class

End conclusion: The omen's are kind of all over the place. But most of the other stuff needs only minor adjustment to make a fun sub class.

kosh49
2022-11-17, 09:40 PM
I haven't gone too deep into details, but some things that stand out:

Number of spellslots: This has it's only increase way too early. While I figure you are emulating the Warlock increase, I'd recommend moving that one up a few levels.
Using Wisdom instead of Charisma: Normally a bit of a "power gaming" move to solidify the stats... but it's the monk, if anyone deserves a break on yet another stat, it's the monk. So good choice.
Bonus proficiency (and spell): These are really not balanced (amongst each other). Medicine and Survival are (game dependent) okay skills, while insight is almost always a really good one. The spells are vastly different but all have uses (haven't looked too deep)
Dazing spells: A ranged, but weaker, stunning strike... interesting, but at risk of being too much
Harbinger's omen: I'll get back to this
Harbinger's aid: This seems okay ish, though not particularly interesting for a level 17 ability.

About omens:
Omen of Destruction - Basically one of the Ascendend dragon's main features, but probably usable more often (2 per short instead of prof per long)
Omen of Focus - Basically a war wizard ability, but weaker
Omen of Mobility - Monks have a lot of competition for bonus actions and ki points, both of which this uses. But I can see how this makes Step of the Wind a lot more appealing tha
Omen of Vigor - straight up eldritch invocation, no problem otherwise
Omen of the Gale - I still think almost all the "once per long rest" spells are trap invocations, but atleast this one doesn't use your spell slots
Omen of Prowess - All but the good option overlaps with your earlier bonus proficiency (and again, it's hard to balance this stuff)
Omen of Wrath - Cool, but maybe too strong (especially combined with possible concentration and temp hp)

Omen of Awareness - very strong, but cool, also level 17, so probably fine
Omen of Leeching - kind of odd that it's based on stun and not damage. Probably okay ish balance wise
Omen of Revelation - probably comes too late and feels kind of connected from the rest of the class

End conclusion: The omen's are kind of all over the place. But most of the other stuff needs only minor adjustment to make a fun sub class.

If you look at Eldritch Kight and Arcane Trickster, the spell slots are what a wizard would have at 1/3 the level, rounded up. So I used the same logic here, the spell slots are what a warlock would have at 1/3 the level, rounded up. Given the multiclassing rule I want to use, I do not feel comfortable changing this.

The omens are the newest part of this. The previous version just used the warlock invocations. While that is an easier option, I now think that was not a great from a design perspective.

Omen of Destruction - I was looking for some AOE with this since that is a weakness of both monks and warlocks, and filling a weakness seemed like a reasonable use for an omen. Is this too strong? Should I change the area, the damage, and/or the number of uses?
Omen of Focus - I did not realize that war wizard already did this on a bigger scale. Given the fact that on war wizard it is an entire level feature and here it is only part of the feature, I think this is OK as is, especially when you realize proficiency in all saves is not that many levels later. Does that seem reasonable?
Omen of Mobility - Monks have a lot of competition for bonus actions and ki points, both of which this uses. But I can see how as written this makes Step of the Wind much more appealing than it is for a regular monk. Maybe Wisdom modifier uses per long rest?
Omen of the Gale - I house rule all of the "once per long rest" PHB options that use your pact magic spell slots to be like the Xanathar's ones that do not use a spell slot, so I was not going to make any of these use a pact magic spell slot.
Omen of Prowess - This was supposed to be an INT skill and a CHA skill for each option. I have edited the original post to replace Insight with Nature and to replace Survival with Arcana.
Omen of Wrath - Should I cut the damage reduction and just leave the retribution?
Omen of Leeching - The idea is that you are stunning your opponent by stealing some of their ki, which is where the temporary hit points are coming from. If they succeed on the save vs the stunning strike, you did not get any ki from them to fuel the temporary hit points.
Omen of Revelation - I really struggled with this. I wanted one spell option for each level, and I liked the level 1 (false life), 2 (warding wind), and 4 (black tentacles) options, but I had a hard time picking a good 3rd level option. Ideally it would be a 3rd level spell that is not on the warlock list, although I suppose not on the warlock list is not an absolute necessity. Any thoughts on what a good option might be? As far as the timing, I am setting the prerequisites based on subclass levels which is when the character gets new omens. But the base option is 2 levels before 3rd level spells are available and the only option after that is level 17. Since the 4th level spell invocation is already available before 4th level spell slots, I was not sure if I really should do the same with the 3rd level spell invocation as well. I would be just as happy to remove the prerequisite for this one.

Loek
2022-11-18, 11:16 AM
Omen of destruction: I like your reasoning for this one, but like I said, it kinda feels too much like a different monk sub class. How about changing it to a 30/60ft ranged 10ft radius? Not a massive change/boost, but mostly making it distinct from the other ability. I'd be tempted to tweak the amounts of uses to end up balancing it (maybe 1 use per short... though that feels weak... or 3 per long (rising to 4 at 15?)

Omen of Focus: The ability is reasonable, but as I went through this one by one, I was getting a big "copy from others" vibe. In the end, just be aware of the existing one. But yeah, this doesn't really harm either too much I think.

Omen of Mobility: Yeah, wisdom per long rest is a good one for this.

Omen of Prowess: Still not a fan of alignment based picks (personal thing), but much better now.

Omen of Wrath: I'll admit that I have no clue if/how to balance this one. But removing the damage reduction certainly helps. Maybe allow once per usage, to use your reaction to have the reduction on top of the retribution?

Omen of Revelation: (Ofc this would include a rename) Maybe go in the direction of slow/tidal wave (with slow adding crowd control and tidal wave being the sub-classes' kamehameha? Ashardalon's Stride can be fun as well, maybe.

kosh49
2022-11-18, 03:47 PM
The 30/60 made me think of ranged weapons. Does this look reasonable, or should I switch it back to a save for half effect?

Omen of Destruction – On one of your turns, in place of one of your unarmed attacks you can unleash a swarm of motes of destructive energy. Pick a spot within 50 feet of you and make a ranged spell attack against each creature within 10 feet of that point. You have disadvantage on any attack rolls against creatures that more than 30 feet from you. Any creature you hit takes damage equal to 4 rolls of your martial arts die. This damage is radiant if your patron is good, psychic if your patron is neutral, and necrotic if your patron is evil. You can use this ability a number of times equal to your Wisdom bonus, although never more than once in the same turn, and you regain all expended uses when you complete a long rest.

I think I will replace the Omen of Revelation with the Omen of the Deluge to cast Tidal Wave once per long rest with no prerequisite.

After looking at the Omens of Focus, the Gale, Leeching, and Vigor, I think there may be enough defensive options, so I think I am going to just completely remove the damage reduction from the Omen of Wrath.

I was thinking about Dazing Spells and the fact that this subclass gets Eldritch Blast, which could allow up to 4 spell attacks in a round. Do you think I should limit Dazing Spell to one use per turn?

kosh49
2022-11-22, 07:43 PM
I am preserving the original Omens here, so that the discussions above are clearer. The original post has been edited to present the final version.

Omen of Awareness (Prerequisite: 17th level) – You gain blindsight within a range of 30 feet.

Omen of Destruction – When you take the attack action you can unleash a 20 foot cone of energy in place of one of the attacks. All creatures must make a Dexterity saving throw against your ki DC or take 3 rolls of your martial arts die in damage. Those who succeed take half damage. This damage is radiant if your patron is good, psychic if your patron is neutral, and necrotic if your patron is evil. You can use this ability two times, although not both in the same turn, and you regain all expended uses when you complete a short or long rest.

Omen of Focus – While concentrating on a spell you receive a +1 bonus to your AC and saving throws.

Omen of the Gale – You can cast warding wind once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Omen of Leeching (Prerequisite: 17th level) – When a creature is stunned by your stunning strike you gain temporary hit points equal to one roll of your martial arts die plus your Wisdom bonus.

Omen of Miring (Prerequisite: 17th level) – You can cast black tentacles once, without expending a spell slot or material components. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Omen of Mobility – As part of the bonus action when you activate step of the wind you may spend up to 60 feet of your movement to teleport the same distance.

Omen of Prowess – You gain proficiency in 2 skills, depending on your patron’s alignment. Good patrons provide Persuasion and Religion, neutral patrons provide Deception and Nature, and evil patrons provide Arcana and Intimidation.

Omen of Revelation (Prerequisite: 17th level) – You can cast clairvoyance once, without expending a spell slot or material components. You regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest.

Omen of Staggering – Once per turn when you hit with an unarmed attack as part of your flurry of blows or martial arts magic you can force the target to make a Strength saving throw. On a failure the target is pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone.

Omen of Vigor – You can cast false life on yourself at will as a 1st level spell, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Omen of Wrath – As part of the bonus action when you activate patient defense you surround yourself with an aura of wrath for 1 minute. During this time, whenever you are hit by a melee attack roll one martial arts die. The damage you take is reduced by the amount rolled and you deal damage equal to the amount rolled to your attacker. This damage is radiant if your patron is good, psychic if your patron is neutral, and necrotic if your patron is evil. Once you use this ability you can not do so again until you complete a long rest.

Loek
2022-11-25, 08:13 AM
Btw, life got distracting, hence me lack of further comments.

But one more things about the 2nd spellslot at level 4:

In the multiclass section you mention it is monk level divided by 3 rounded down.
That should translate to a second spell slot at level 6 (5/3 rounded down is still 1)

This would meet both your goals of keeping it in pace with the multiclass rules and my idea that the 2nd slot came too early.
EDIT: This would also have a similar effect on the level of your spell slots, as all of those also seem to be rounding up rather than down.
EDIT2: huh, just checked the Arcane trickster and it seems to use a similar rounding up mechanic... Guess they didn't really check the multiclass vs the 1/3rd casters :-/ (or the 1/2 casters, if a quick glance at rangers getting level 2 spells on level 5 is anything to go by...)

kosh49
2022-11-25, 08:29 AM
Yeah, it is weird that the multiclass uses rounding down the way it does when the single class progressions ALWAYS round up once the class gets spellcasting. If they rounded down the single class progressions paladins and rangers would gain their new spell levels at 2, 6, 14, 18, and 20 while eldritch knights and arcane tricksters would gain new spell levels at 3, 9, and 15 and would never get 4th level spells at all since those would not be available until level 21, which is off the top of the chart.