PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Damaging Divination, Enchantment, or Illusion Spells

Thurbane
2022-11-12, 07:43 PM
So, looking for spells from the schools of Divination, Enchantment and Illusion that deal direct hit point damage to a target.

I know of the Whelm line of spells, but that's nonlethal damage?

The only Divination one I know of is Crystalline Memories (2d8 damage + 2 Int damage).

Phantasmal Killer can deal 3d6 damage.

Any and all other examples would be welcome: only official 3.5 sources, please, no PF etc.

Cheers - T

Frostmoon
2022-11-12, 08:23 PM
Crystalline Memories is transmutation, actually. Still usuable by a Spellthief who wants to do a bit of direct damage, but it's not Div, Enchant, or Illusion.

Thurbane
2022-11-12, 08:30 PM
Crystalline Memories is transmutation, actually. Still usuable by a Spellthief who wants to do a bit of direct damage, but it's not Div, Enchant, or Illusion.

Oops, correct you are - always thought it was Div.

Promethean
2022-11-12, 09:03 PM
Shadow evocation and shadow conjuration(specifically for Orb spells)

They both essentially let you perform 2 entire schools of magic with illusion spells and are the reason why Killer gnome is possible.

Anthrowhale
2022-11-12, 09:41 PM
There are quite a few enchantment spells that deal direct damage. Ray of Stupidity is a low level favorite doing Int damage. End to Strife is high level one that can be devastating to persist doing lethal or nonlethal damage as you choose. Power Word Pain is a infamous but quickly loses utility. Sword of Conscience deals significant wisdom and charisma damage to evil creatures.

Frostmoon
2022-11-12, 10:17 PM
As mentioned before, Phantasmal Killer, Shadow Evocation, and Shadow Conjuration all deal or can deal direct damage. Similarly, Weird, Greater Shadow Evocation, Greater Shadow Conjuration, and Shades, by virtue of being the improved versions of the former, all deal or can deal direct damage.

Other Illusion spells:
Nightmare (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nightmare.htm) appears to do 1d10 untyped damage + fatigue (and insomnia, welp).
Shadow Spray (SC) does 4 points of Strength damage.
Sphere of Terror (Dragon #333) is a bit complex, but it seems to generate 30ft hemisphere that does a bunch of things, including making 1 attack against every creature within for 1d6 damage vs Will save per round. (Note: the sphere itself makes an attack.)

Enchantment:
Awaken Sin (SC) deals 1d6/CL (max 10d6) nonlethal damage, + 1d6 WIS damage if it knocks the target unconscious.
End to Strife (BoED) creates an 80ft radius around the caster that deals 20d6 damage (either lethal or nonlethal, you choose) to any creature that attacks. Creatures with multiple attacks take damage after every single attack they make, which is quite interesting.
Glimpse of Eternity (MoE) deals 1d6/CL (max 15d6) nonlethal damage to a single target and then confuses them (the latter is against a will save).
Inevitable Defeat (PHB2) deals 3d6 nonlethal damage against a target, no save allowed. Afterwards, 3d6 more damage is dealt every round they fail a save.
Love's Lament (SC) is a cone that deals 1d6 points of WIS damage and nauseates for 1d4 rounds. These are against a Will save.
Plague of Nightmares (BoVD) deals 1d4 CHA damage every day until either the target passes their save, or they reach 0 CHA, in which they offer up their soul to a demon. It also removes their ability to naturally heal. "Corruption Cast", whatever that is, makes the victim takes 1d6 STR damage per week. I think.
Power Word Maladroit (RotD) deals 2 DEX damage to a target with 75 HP or less; target HP determines how long the damage lasts.
Power Word Pain (RotD) deals 1d6 (untyped?) damage to a target each round; target HP determines how long the spell lasts.
Power Word Weaken (RotD) deals 2 STR damage to a target with 75 HP or less; target HP determines how long the damage lasts.
Ray of Stupidity (SC) deals 1d4+1 INT damage to a target.
Touch of Idiocy (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/touchOfIdiocy.htm) deals 1d6 points of INT, CHA, and WIS damage. It cannot drop these scores below 1.
Whelm (PHB2) deals 1d6 + 1d6/2CL-above-1st (max 5d6) nonlethal damage to a target against a will saving throw.
Whelm, Mass (PHB2) deals 1d6/CL (max 10d6) nonlethal damage to 1 creature/level.
Whelming Blast (PHB2) deals 1d6 + 1d6/2CL-above-1st (max 5d6) nonlethal damage to targets in a cone against a will saving throw.

Divination mostly gets things that boost your damage (Hunter's Eye, Critical Strike, etc.) or things like Eye of Power, which let you cast direct damage spells out of it. I couldn't find any direct damage spells myself.

Thurbane
2022-11-12, 11:30 PM
Great list @Frostmoon :smallsmile:

There are quite a few enchantment spells that deal direct damage. Ray of Stupidity is a low level favorite doing Int damage. End to Strife is high level one that can be devastating to persist doing lethal or nonlethal damage as you choose. Power Word Pain is a infamous but quickly loses utility. Sword of Conscience deals significant wisdom and charisma damage to evil creatures.

Some of those are what I am looking for, but should have specified I meant HP damage, not ability damage. I have updated the OP.

Gruftzwerg
2022-11-13, 12:24 AM
How about metamagic entries?

Locate City Bomb

*cough*

edit:the cheese could be applied to any spell IIRC

Frostmoon
2022-11-13, 01:40 AM
Great list @Frostmoon :smallsmile:
:D I'm glad I could help!!
The direct lethal HP damage entries from that list were:
-Phantasmal Killer
-Shadow Evocation
-Shadow Conjuration
-Greater Shadow Evocation
-Greater Shadow Conjuration
-Shades
-Weird
-Nightmare
-Sphere of Terror
-End to Strife
-Power Word Pain

Anthrowhale
2022-11-13, 08:19 AM
Some of those are what I am looking for, but should have specified I meant HP damage, not ability damage. I have updated the OP.
Ok---I believe Ray of Stupidity can inflict hp damage via sneak attack.

Frostmoon
2022-11-13, 01:10 PM
Ok---I believe Ray of Stupidity can inflict hp damage via sneak attack.
Ah, yes: through sneak attack, any touch attack (be that ranged or not) will deal HP damage; Ray of Stupidity and other ability damage attacks will deal bonus negative energy damage on top.