PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best Monk Subclass for Supernatural Investigator that Punches Monsters?

werescythe
2022-11-12, 09:18 PM
So, I've been having this character idea partially inspired by Meme Oshino (https://bakemonogatari.fandom.com/wiki/Meme_Oshino) from the Bakemonogatari series, who essentially is a supernatural investigator who can also punch monsters.

So, I was wondering what would be the best Monk Subclass that could fit this feel, that could be a good investigator of the supernatural while also being able to effectively dish out damage with unarmed strikes?

LudicSavant
2022-11-12, 09:30 PM
So, I've been having this character idea partially inspired by Meme Oshino (https://bakemonogatari.fandom.com/wiki/Meme_Oshino) from the Bakemonogatari series, who essentially is a supernatural investigator who can also punch monsters.

So, I was wondering what would be the best Monk Subclass that could fit this feel, that could be a good investigator of the supernatural while also being able to effectively dish out damage with unarmed strikes?

Well, in terms of Monk subclasses with some investigation utility...

Shadow makes you a stealthy investigator who can do things like teleport through shadows at will, turn invisible at will, trick with Minor Illusion, sneak their whole party into somewhere, give everyone darkvision as a "1 hour ritual," or Silence an area and then have the party break out sledgehammers to go through doors or walls without tripping an alarm. If you want an infiltrator, this is the one you want.

Mercy gets two extra skill proficiencies, both of which are useful for investigation. Insight for getting a read on creatures, Medicine for forensics. And it has one of the better excuses to actually use unarmed attacks. Also gets the herbalism skill, which may occasionally prove relevant to supernatural lore. Also gets the ability to *very* efficiently cure numerous status effects, including some that are normally real difficult to get rid of (like a mind flayer's stun).

I guess Astral has some utility in its Visage.

Probably also worth noting that Shadow and Mercy tend to be better than other Monk subclasses just like, in general.

werescythe
2022-11-12, 09:38 PM
I think the only problem I have with the Way of Mercy monk is that I have a hard time understanding how Hands of Healing works (in regard to the Flurry of Blows). :smalleek:

strangebloke
2022-11-12, 09:46 PM
technically this is exactly what the cobalt soul is built to do, but YMMV on the strength of the implementation.

From a power perspective, its a little lacking. The basic game plan is to run in, use FoB to extract aspects, and then get a reaction attack when/if the enemy misses you. In this way you can get a solid FIVE attacks a turn pretty consistently at level 5! WOW! Unfortunately, they're all unarmed strikes and your damage still isn't what I would call impressive. Even the "spend a ki to get an extra reaction" thing at level 11 isn't really that good. What's the best reaction you have here, anyway? You're not using counterspell or anything. Sure, six or more attacks in a round, but when they're mostly 1d8+DEX its not really worth the pain of sitting in melee and getting hit.

Gets a LOT better if you have something like an eldritch claw tattoo active, though.

With that said, the ribbons and out of combat abilities do fit what you're going for. Expertise in a knowledge skill and a 'zone of truth' like effect, and also the ability to gather information about a target in combat... it is quite literally what you're going for.

The other monk options are mentioned are mercy and shadow. Ludic went over the appeal already - they're quite good - but I don't have much to add to what he said.

If we leave the monk class, there are lots of other build options. Could be a watcher's paladin who spent a feat to get the unarmed fighting style, or a fighter with judicious feat choice and a dip in rogue.

LostBenefit
2022-11-12, 09:48 PM
Way of the Cobalt Soul Monk seems to fit this best. Be aware that it is Critical Role material and cannot be used in Adventurer's League.

werescythe
2022-11-12, 10:00 PM
Way of the Cobalt Soul Monk seems to fit this best. Be aware that it is Critical Role material and cannot be used in Adventurer's League.

Yeah, let's just stick with the official subclasses, please. :smallwink:

LudicSavant
2022-11-12, 10:07 PM
I think the only problem I have with the Way of Mercy monk is that I have a hard time understanding how Hands of Healing works (in regard to the Flurry of Blows). :smalleek:

When you make a Flurry of Blows, you can make 2 unarmed attacks, or 1 unarmed attack + 1 heal punch, or (at level 11+), 2 heal punches.

All 3 options cost exactly 1 ki, total.

werescythe
2022-11-12, 10:12 PM
When you make a Flurry of Blows, you can make 2 unarmed attacks, or 1 unarmed attack + 1 heal punch, or (at level 11+), 2 heal punches.

All 3 options cost exactly 1 ki, total.

Right but are you allowed to hit an enemy and then go heal an ally or does the ally have to be within melee range to give the healing? That's what confuses me.

LudicSavant
2022-11-12, 10:19 PM
Right but are you allowed to hit an enemy and then go heal an ally or does the ally have to be within melee range to give the healing?

Yes. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/56056/can-monk-move-between-his-extra-and-bonus-attacks) (post length)

werescythe
2022-11-13, 12:33 PM
Yes. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/56056/can-monk-move-between-his-extra-and-bonus-attacks) (post length)

Okay. That's great to know. I saw that the Way of Mercy was highly regarded in various reviews but the confusion about the healing made me very weary. :)

werescythe
2022-11-13, 05:39 PM
I could also definitely see a 1 level multiclass into Cleric (Knowledge) working really well for this concept if running Way of Shadow Monk for two reasons:
1. Proficiency/Expertise in Arcana and one other knowledge skill along with a few ritual spellsthat could be used to detect magic/identify.
2. Would provide access to the Eldritch Adapt feat and take Devil's Sight so that we can see in the magical darkness creates by our Shadow Arts.

Nidgit
2022-11-13, 05:45 PM
The two subclasses that fit this best would probably be the Monster Slayer Ranger or the Inquisitive Rogue, both of which could conceivably multiclass with Monk. There's probably a solid cleric out there that could work too, and Watchers Paladin could work as well but makes multiclassing harder.

There's a lot of potential synergy with Ranger in general, which could add skills and bonus damage, but Rangers and Monster Slayer in particular can be pretty bonus action-heavy and that can cause problems. You could conceivably go full Ranger (or Paladin) with Unarmed Fighting or use a race with an unarmed strike.

Psyren
2022-11-13, 09:32 PM
Personally I would go Soulknife and fluff the psychic blades as "soulfists" since you can use them unarmed. That will give you plenty of proficiencies (and expertise) to do the sneaky/investigation-y thing.

CTurbo
2022-11-14, 02:51 AM
I agree with Ranger likely being the best option possibly with a Monk dip if that's the flavor you're looking for. Grab Skill Expert feat and get Expertise in Investigation.