PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cheese Please: Satyr Cleric/Bard

nalgarryn
2022-11-13, 05:00 AM
Hi All,

Looking for some tips to Optimize a Satyr Cleric/Bard....
Ideally looking to abuse Silvery Barbs to ensure that the Save or Suck spells take effect.

Here are some of the spells I'd like to pick up:

1st Conjuration - Find Familiar - via Scroll
2nd Transmutation - Rope Trick - Wiz?? (or alternatively, another extradimensional hidey-space)

1st Enchantment - Command - Brd/Clr
1st Enchantment - Heroism - Brd
1st Illusion - Silent Image - Brd
1st Enchantment - Silvery Barbs - Brd
2nd Enchantment - Suggestion - Brd
2nd Transmutation - Enhance Ability - Brd/Clr (also for familiar)
2nd Transmutation - Enlarge/Reduce - Brd (also for familiar)
3rd Abjuration - Glyph of Warding - Brd/Clr
3rd Divination - Tongues - Brd/Clr
4th Transmutation - Polymorph - Brd
5th Evocation - Hallow - Clr
7th Conjuration - Plane Shift - Clr

I was vaguely toying with the idea of Warlock - Invocation - Misty Visions for unlimited Silent Image shenanigans. Also tempted towards Pact of the Chain for invisible (Imp) Familiar shenanigans. The CHA does overlap but I think this is too costly to mix in here.

Suggestions on what to flesh out what I'm missing here? Lineages or backgrounds? Subclasses?

I am thinking Lore Bard so I can use Cutting Words (combo like Silvery Barbs) and then also steal a couple non-Brd, non-Clr spells...

Thanks!

RogueJK
2022-11-13, 09:47 AM
In order to get all those spells you've listed using the classes listed, you'd need to be a Cleric 13/Bard 7. That's not a great level split, never gaining 8th or 9th level spells or high level class abilities, and it also means you wouldn't have the higher level spells you want like Plane Shift until close to Level 20.

Instead, the best way to multiclass two spellcasters is to focus on one and just dip into the other for a small number of levels (1-3ish).

So I'd focus on Cleric, since most of the higher level spells you're wanting are Cleric spells. Then look for Cleric domain overlap with your higher level Bard spells. For example, Trickery Clerics get access to Polymorph, negating the need to go all the way to Bard 7. The rest of the Bard spells are only up to 2nd level, which only requires going to Bard 3.

So now we're looking at something like a Lore Bard 3/Trickery Cleric 17. Then plan on taking the Ritual Caster Wizard feat to get access to Find Familiar and other Wizard rituals. This lets you access basically all of the spells you're wanting (except Rope Trick), while still allowing you to focus on primarily the Cleric class for a mostly normal progression that still gains access to upper level spellcasting and abilities. Plus, it lets you focus on WIS as your primary stat to drive you Cleric spellcasting, as most of your 1st and 2nd level Bard spells won't be relying on your CHA stat (except Suggestion).

Or if you're willing to give up Polymorph, you could go with any other Cleric domain. Knowledge fits nicely, not only getting you extra Expertise in two Knowledge skills, but also giving you access to Suggestion as a WIS-based Cleric spell (including potential free Suggestion castings while using your Channel Divinity: Read Thoughts.)

For leveling progression, I'd probably do something like Cleric 1 -> Bard 1 -> Cleric 5ish -> Bard 3 -> Cleric X.

For stats, I'd start with something like this (using point buy):
STR 8
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 9
WIS 14+2
CHA 13+1

ASIs: Ritual Caster Wizard at Cleric 4, 18 WIS at Cleric 8, Warcaster at Cleric 12, 20 WIS at Cleric 16.