PDA

View Full Version : Frostmaiden: Brain-in-a-Jar PC

kbob
2022-11-14, 12:12 PM
Warning: Frostmaiden Spoilers

So my players have made it to Iriolarthas’s tower (the central tower in Ythrn). We needed last night as they approached the door leading to his chamber. Prior to that though, one of the characters underwent a transformation. When they met Vereranda (V), the brain in a jar wizard on the shoulders of a helmed horror, one of my players decided to let V perform an experiment on them. This is mentioned in the module as a possibility for the players. It’s 24 hours to make the transition from whatever their character was to a new brain in the jar. She was a 9th level barbarian about to turn 10 (we use xp instead of milestone for group reasons). Now we are going to continue with these characters after the end of the module. We have several things going on from different DMs (several campaigns) affecting the same world of Faerun (the obelisk issue will be altered because of this but that’s another post for another time). That all said, I needed to devise a way for her to continue playing her character and still gain “levels”, whatever that may look like. So I made her the equivelant of a level 10 character cuz it has 10 HD. From there, I’m going to borrow from some old school 3.5 level adjustment rules. Though she lost all previous class levels, she can take new class levels, but a level one class in her new form would make her an equivalent 11 level for xp purposes and figuring out proficiency bonuses (level 2 equiv 12, 3 equiv 13, and so on). But I let her keep whatever ability stats were higher between her previous stats and the brain in jar stats with the exception of strength and dex. Those are what the brain in a jar has in its stat block. I set her proficieny bonus to 4 (cuz level 10) which bumped up a few things for her, as far as I can tell, from what the stat block reflects. When I take her saves and “to hit” bonus and subtract the appropriate ability mods it seems the monster stat has a proficiency bonus of 2. So those all get another plus 2 (proficiency bonus 4 for level 10). I’m gonna sit down and try to work out some of the other finer details with her before the next session in 2 weeks. Anyway, has anyone else had a player decide to become a brain in a jar? And if you have any suggestions, insight, or just want to comment lease feel free to!