PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Echoing spell wondrous item - would it work?

Nikker
2022-11-14, 04:20 PM
Hello sages, I am wondering about a wondrous item with a peculiar metamagic feat applied.

As per SRD:
"While item creation costs are handled in detail below, note that normally the two primary factors are the caster level of the creator and the level of the spell or spells put into the item. A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell. Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal."

It is possible to apply metamagic to a magic item (creating, for example, a necklace of widen fireball), but what happens with more "difficult" metamagic?

I was thinking about Echoing spell:

Echoing Spell
( Secrets of Xen'drik, p. 134)

[ Metamagic ]

Your spell Is return after you cast them . all hour with lessened effects.

Prerequisite
Spellcraft 12 ranks, ability to prepare spells,

Benefit
An echoing spell is First cast as normal. After 1 hour, the spell then returns to you as if it had been prepared an additional time, and can be cast again at any time. However, the second time the echoing spell is cast, you treat your caster level as four lower for the purpose of effect, area, range, duration, and overcoming spell resistance. This process repeats itself every time the spell is cast, reducing your effective caster level by four until your effective caster level is no longer high enough to cast the original spell (at which point the spell is not regained). For example, a 9th-level wizard has an echoing Melfs Acid Arrow prepared. She casts the spell the first lime at 9th level, giving her maximum long range and dealing acid damage for 4 rounds (I round + 1 round per three levels). After 1 hour, she can cast the spell again as a 5th-level caster, reducing its range and dealing acid damage for 2 rounds. The spell cannot be regained a third time. however, because her effective caster level of 1 is would be below the minimum level needed to cast the spell. You must expend any material o r XP components for an echoing spell each time it is cast. An echoing spell that is counterspelled as it is being cast does not return to the caster. I his feat can be applied only to prepared spells. Spells cast spontaneously cannot benefit from this feat. An echoing spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level.

How would an item with an echoing spell work? Let's say, an amulet of echoing Hunter's Mercy otherwise working only once a day?

1) The metamagic wouldn't work at all since the spell is meant to come back in the caster's mind, it's a metamagic feat that cannot belong to items; or
2) The metamagic works as if the item is the caster. The spell is cast; after 1 hour, the item is recharged of its Hunter's Mercy spell. Lets say that a lev 9 caster created the item, and it created it as a caster-level-9 "command word" item with 1 charge per day (making it cost (1+3)x9x1800/(5/1) gp = 12.960 gp); the spell is cast, after 1 hour it comes back in the item as a caster-level-5 spell; after another hour, it comes back again as a caster-level-1 spell. <- Is this, in your opinion, how it would work?

Thank you all

Rebel7284
2022-11-14, 06:10 PM
Pretty sure raw would be 1. Doesn't work at all since it returns as if it has been prepared, and items don't prepare spells.

However, I see nothing wrong with a DM houseruling it to work, getting a few extra charges for +3 level change in costs seems okay for most spells.

Vaern
2022-11-15, 05:48 AM
The item doesn't have to replicate a spell effect precisely. There's no reason you couldn't create an item that generates a spell effect and can then generate the same effect at a lower level one hour later, effectively treating itself as the caster of an echoing spell.