PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Anyone have a good set of simplified rules for underwater combat? (3.5/PF)

KillianHawkeye
2022-11-14, 07:01 PM
Underwater combat rules in 3.5e/Pathfinder are a complicated mess, impossible to remember, and annoying to use if looked up. Is there any simpler way to do it? I don't care if it's less realistic, as long as it's easy.

The group I play in had a big underwater battle last session. It was fun and challenging, but we pretty much forgot a lot of the little penalties and modifiers involved, kept having to double-check our tactical options, and were lucky enough to not be in open water so didn't have to worry about outright swimming. In anticipation of an eventual aquatic section in the game of Pathfinder that I run for the group, I'd like to have a more basic, easy-to-use system for it all. Combats on dry land take long enough as is!

Before I reinvent the wheel, I'm here asking if anyone has seen it or done it already?

Thanks! :smallsmile:

Eldonauran
2022-11-14, 07:41 PM
Treat them as entangled and non-piercing attacks deal half damage and ranged attacks have their ranged quatered. If they have a swim speed, ignore the movement reduction only. It is still awkward to fight in water, even if you are good at swimming.

If you want to ignore the penalties and just fight with their normal bonuses, just give the monsters the advanced template (+4 to all ability scores, +2 to natural armor) and some DR over piercing.